WTF Exxon!!!!!

jeff

jeff

How many fish and wildlife will this mistake kill. Exxon estimates anywhere between 1,000 and 40,000 gallons spilled ( I will take the over on that). Building a pipeline under the Yellowstone River are they freakin nuts!?!? Oh but they can frac safely..... Just let us frac around the park system. It will be alright.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/02/yellowstone-oil-spill-pro_n_889363.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C75197

agreed. WTF?

jjsjigs wrote:
agreed. WTF?

Hey jigs,

I had a conversation with a higher-up from one of the big oil companies last week. Anyway, the natural gas companies (not the oil companies mind you) have received the rights to run pipelines under your river (the NB Susky) in a whole bunch of areas up there.

Further, I don't think people realize that the real party hasn't even started!!! The nat gas guys are exploring and drilling. When they do find gas right now they are just capping the wells. They are waiting for the gas prices to climb (they're rather low right now). But the kicker is, before they do start extracting, what do you think they will need?........PIPELINES!!! Wait 'til they start diggin' and layin' 'em all through the region!!!....including under and across the Susky and other rivers and streams.

Further, compressor booster stations have to be built to keep the gas flowing. Given the mountainous terrain in northern PA, they must be built in very short intervals and he told me they are very loud and very obtrusive!

How come nobody told us about all this stuff!!!!!

SAD!!! :-(

Attachments

• Northern PA meets South Philly.jpg
    Northern PA meets South Philly.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 4

And in protest we are going to use rickshaws and ride our bikes...

acristickid wrote:

And in protest we are going to use rickshaws...

That will solve the unemployment problem too.
rickshaw-t18777.jpg

Yeah.. the PFBC sold Chessie the rights to go under the river. That happened sometime last year.

They have already started the pipeline construction projects up here. They are criss-crossing the county. Can't wait to move to Lancaster Co. Soon... Sooon....

This is just following a real bad trend. We are in the process of killing this planet a day at a time. At this point, I think right here in Pa we have some real trouble brewing.

You guys think this is something new? This State is criss crossed with natural gas distribution pipelines already many of which go under streams, rivers, etc. Rather have a pipeline buried well under a stream bed than any more of those ugly windmills on mountain tops.

Of course it goes without saying, Exxon will recieve a very stern slap on the wrist...

McSneek wrote:
You guys think this is something new? This State is criss crossed with natural gas distribution pipelines already many of which go under streams, rivers, etc. Rather have a pipeline buried well under a stream bed than any more of those ugly windmills on mountain tops.

Windmills don't leak. Just sayin'.

tomgamber wrote:
McSneek wrote:

They have had hydraulic fluid leak issues but certainly not on the level of other energy leak potential.

I can't believe one would complain about windmills versus well pads and all the environmental impacts of same.

I just read the NBC, AP, Reuters write up on this spill and it really makes me think its only a matter of time until something bad happens here in the Commonwealth. My job involves a lot of piping and valving and the only thing certain about the equipment is that it all eventually fails.

Hey, I realize we all depend on energy, and it has to come from somewhere. Also, I know it's the "not in my backyard" scenario, but what bothers me most is no one is minding the store in the State Capital to oversee the operation and assure that things are done right, and with the least amount of impact.

Jack, how could you let this happen!!!

jdaddy wrote:
tomgamber wrote:
McSneek wrote:

They have had hydraulic fluid leak issues but certainly not on the level of other energy leak potential.

I can't believe one would complain about windmills versus well pads and all the environmental impacts of same.

Yes, as someone posted in another thread...everything leaks. But there is a difference between a limited supply of anything and and a limitless pipeline spill. If a windmill drains all its fluid on the ground and no one notices for a few days you know exactly how much is leaked. Let a pipeline leak for a few days and see what happens.

Its just naive to defend what is going on. If you fish or hunt or own a camp in PA, you are either hoping for the best or just ignorant to what they are doing to our state.

Tom, why didn't I DO ANYTHING?

Twice a year I try to elect public servants that will look after the common man rather than the corporate sponsors of government. Each year, it gets harder and harder to find them. Our current administration has shown very little desire to antagonize the natural gas industry. I don't know why, but I have suspicions like everyone else.

But is all the dissention over drilling actually making a difference? I'm mad about it too... but all the protests in the world hasn't changed this industry. In fact, it's getting bigger. Now that its summer in BradCo the drilling has tripled in the amount of workers, wells, active drill sites, and (the bane of my exsistence) TRAFFIC!!!

It was a bit before my time but didnt this state learn any kind of a leason when they realized what the cole mining was doing to the streams?? Now that some of those streams are just about back to being in good shape they start the polution thing all over again! To think that the PF&G commission has given permission for drilling in order to make a little more money is very discouraging! I would love to see more windmills on the mountain tops here in Pa. They actually look pretty cool over there in Centralia. How about some solar fields too??

Absolutely disgusting.

(NOTE: Reposted from the conservation thread.)

Dear fellow PA residents,

I have to say we, the residents of PA, as a whole, have to be the stupidest bunch of voters in our great nation. Not only do we elect the gas industry's Bitch as our governor, but we seem to constantly thank the gas industry for the reaming it's giving us (pun intended).

I hear stories all the time in NEPA about how nice the gas industry people are, how quickly they respond, how much money they are bringing to our area. Here are a few anecdotes:

1. Homeowners' wells become mysteriously contaminated with methane and the gas companies ride in to the rescue with water buffaloes to supply safe drinking water. The homeowners thank them and sing their praise for the quick remediation.

2. Heavily laden gas trucks pulverize roads and bridges not designed to bear their weight. The gas companies ride in to the rescue and repair the damages, sometimes completely repaving the roads. The local residents thank them and sing their praise for assuming the cost and task of infrastructure repair.

3. A farmer in Wyoming County who owns 300 acres signs a lease paying him $5000.00....TOTAL! In the lease is a clause that gives the gas company the right to renew at their discression only. When friends object, telling him he is getting hosed and should sue them for fair compensation, he says the gas rep is so nice and he doesn't want to make the gas company angry.

4. The Honesdale Business Association decided to improve their business in downtown by sending welcome baskets to all the out of state workers the gas companies bring to build a gas pipeline in Wayne County.

5. The gas companies have a town hall meeting in Tunckhannock to address concerns of the local residents. One resident asks them if they flair of the gas at the wells. The rep promises the resident the gas is "so clean there is no need to flair." Meanwhile, no less than 7 wells in the surrounding area can be observed flaring at that moment (Is this the Jedi Mind Trick or a bold-faced lie?).

So we are probably not getting much real revenue through business taxes since the gas companies are clearly smarter than we are and they own the state house. We are not getting high paying jobs, only truck driving and basic labor jobs since the gas companies are bringing in experienced, skilled workers from out of state. We are not getting hotel and occupancy tax revenue since the out of state workers are staying long enough to be exempt from that. AND, we are not charging an impact fee or severance tax even though they are causing damage well beyond that of nearly all businesses in our state.

Yep, we're a pretty stupid lot.

Please, someone convince me I'm wrong.

sadly, Mike

Back