Who to notify?

C

CAMBYSES

Today I went exploring in some area streams. These streams are in a heavily developed area and get a good amount of street run off, but I thought since it was 1 block away I would go have a look.

The stream I have the question about is small. 3ft wide at the widest and no more than a few inches deep throughout the large majority of exposed stream. I say exposed because this stream mainly runs under ground.

What I found was 2 deep holes that had trout!!!! there was about half a dozen in the deepest hole and only 2 in the second hole.

The trout looked to be brown trout and I can't figure out how they got there. This stream is a tributary to Darby Crk. which is stocked in the spring, but I can't see how the trout would have made their way upstream given the lay-out and depth of this stream as it approaches the Darby.

all the trout were about 5-9" long and looked healthy, I didn't attempt to catch them as it was a tight spot and I didn't want to harm the fish.

How do I go about determining if these trout are wild and whom do I contact about this find?

Thanks a lot

Bob

Call your local conservation officer and see if this is known. I've found this to be a great source about lesser known streams. In order to determine if they are wild, you might also consider taking one for the team and undertaking the ph-so-horrible task of "seeing for yourself". It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it. I'd imagine a size 16 pheasant tail would be a good tool to use. If you're gonna lose sleep over it, just wait until after the spawn, so as not to disturb them badly.

Good find!

Back