who is Michael Krancer?

Hammerhead81

Hammerhead81

A small biography on who we as anglers are looking to, to help us keep our streams land and drinking water healthy.

Michael Krancer (R)

economist
lawyer/judge

Was a judge on PA's environmental hearing board before he stepped down to fail in his campaign for state Supreme Court. Before being appointed to lead the PA DEP he worked for Exelon corp. for over a year.

wondering what Exelon does?

Exelon is a energy company. They deal in everything from nuclear power to NATURAL GAS!

Why is a man who is so closely affiliated with the gas industry and has no experience protecting the environment being appointed by Corbett to LEAD THE PA DEP?

I think we all know this answer.

he sure as hell isn't gonna appoint president of the nature conservancy!
question, do these appointments get voted on? is there an approval process?

I got a little worked up and did some research on him after reading the radioactivity posts. he was nominated by corbett then environmental resources and energy committee approved then was voted on and approved by the state senate. this is out of control.

This is politics. When one party has control their agenda is slammed through by appointing people they can count on. This administration can't be stopped by checks and balance because they have a majority in the house, senate and in the govenors mansion. They want drilling without accountability. They want to slash education funding by 50%. But they don't want an extra tax on drilling.

You are 100 percent correct Jeff. Right now, there is no stopping the Corbett corporation in Harrisburg. You have to wonder if 4 years from now will be too late to bring in a new government to reverse all the damage that will be created. Will the gas companies have made enough money over the next 4 years to pull out when a responsible government steps in and starts taxes and enforcing regulations?

that's ok, when I'm governor, I'm gonna have my cabinet filled with rod makers and fly tyers!!

Then you can open up some more FF only waters! and appoint some fly fishermen to positions they have no clue about! haha. too good man.

Hammerhead81 wrote:
A small biography on who we as anglers are looking to, to help us keep our streams land and drinking water healthy.

Michael Krancer (R)

economist
lawyer/judge

Was a judge on PA's environmental hearing board before he stepped down to fail in his campaign for state Supreme Court. Before being appointed to lead the PA DEP he worked for Exelon corp. for over a year.

Exelon is a energy company. They deal in everything from nuclear power to NATURAL GAS!

Why is a man who is so closely affiliated with the gas industry and has no experience protecting the environment being appointed by Corbett to LEAD THE PA DEP?

Part of Exelon is PECO. They are an electric and gas utility company.

If i was 20 years younger i'd punch someones lights out , the fine and jail time would have been worth it. THEY are not gonna stop till someone stops them.

welcome to pennsylvania!!

Attachments

• oil-1.jpg
    oil-1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 6
Was that a pic of the western PA oil fields? Or was that a pic of someplace in Texas?

don't know where the pic was taken, but I think that is what certain people want to see in pa.

Hammerhead81 wrote:

Michael Krancer (R)

economist
lawyer/judge

Reminds me of when FDR appointed Joe Kennedy as the first chaiman of the SEC. when someone asked FDR "why he had tapped such a crook." the response was "Takes one to catch one,"

The real reason was Joe backed FDR's campaign.

As far as density, it ain't too far from the truth, though Marcellus will be bigger pads more widely spaced, here's a google maps picture of shallow gas wells in the ANF:

Attachments

• ANF.JPG
    ANF.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 5
Closer up view of where I grew up, scale bar is 500 ft.

Attachments

• gas wells.JPG
    gas wells.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 4
For comparison sake, a typical Marcellus pad is roughly 500 feet x 500 feet, so much bigger. But pads will be spaced around 2 miles apart, so much less dense (and much fewer roads, etc). So, in the first pic of the ANF, instead of the dozens of small wells you see, you'd have 1 big one for roughly that size of area. In the second pic, one pad would cover maybe 2-3 times that area.

Kind of like this, which is a Marcellus pad, taken at the same scale as my 1st pic. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe those to be shallow gas pads all around, so you see the direct comparison in both size and spacing. 1 Marcellus pad is all that would ever be on an area this size, it'd drain gas from an area roughly the size of the picture. If you saw other equally sized areas on all sides, at full density all of them would have 1 Marcellus pad at their centers....

Attachments

• Marcellus pad.JPG
    Marcellus pad.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 5
I watched PCN cable the other night and saw Mr. Krancer being interviewed by members of the House. He refuted the idea that Mr. Walker, the new CDEC director had as much authority as the media said and that Corbetts remarks were misstated Walker is the new appointee that, according to Corbett, has the authority to over ride any other cabinet Director and allow permits for gas and coal despite objections if it meant jobs would be created. Mr. Krancer said that isn't what would happen. He also said that the NY Times article lacked truth and the facts weren't correct. Some of the facts in the article were from the PA DEP. Representative Pyle from Indiana and Armstrong Countys asked Mr. Krancer if he had enough staff and money in this new budget to meet his needs. Krancer said he did. Pyle said that was gratifying to hear as "every other agency in the last three days has said, NO, we don't have enough resources to do our job." I frankly find Mr. Krancer's statement terrifying. We didn't have enough inspectors last year despite an increase in numbers, now we have a 20% drop in funding while the permitting process has been simplified. I am afraid we are in for a long, bad stretch with these guys at the switch.

Pyle also remarked that TheArmy Corps of Engineers has been a road block to drilling because they are monitoring water usage in the Allegheny River. When have you ever heard the Corps a friend of environment?

Jim Kearney

@ Jim,
My husband and I watched Krancer on PCN the other night as well. I was infuriated that no one took him to task. I've been in many court hearings, bankruptcy and family court (for work), and I have seen the "I'm dumb" tactic used so many times that it amazes me how effective it can be. He answered 90% of the questions posed to him with "I don't know or I'll get back to you (off public record)." And then, at the end, when he started with "Well, my mom told me when I was little, not to answer something if I didn't know the answer..." What was that?! To quote Osprey, I think I would have slapped him had I been there. Kudos to the representative that tried to nail him for the cutbacks to the flooding programs, but come on, the man didn't even know how much a Marcellus Shale drilling permit costs? Really? I think our state is lacking real leadership right now. I hope someone steps up to the plate!

@Pcray,
Thank you for the Google maps and your posts above! The drilling is starting to hit a little closer to home.

@bikerfish,
I'd like to buy the house next to the well!

I agree about the "I'll have to get back to you, I really don't know exactly,etc". The one supplying him most information was the Deputy Director Mr. Logan and they both looked bad. I did notice that although he had no clue what a permit cost he did know it was more than the $2000 quoted by Mr. Logan!

Jim Kearney

See http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Conservation/I-hope-this-guy-goes-down-/6,18099,254913.html#forumpost254913

post 31 for more info on Krancer

Back