Re: What our forests looked like...

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

franklin wrote:
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
American Chestnut trees are pretty common in the southern block of Sproul State Forest. Most are pretty small trees. They grow for awhile, then the blight hits them. I have seen some of these that had a few chestnuts.

The chestnut trees people have at their farms are typically Chinese chestnuts. They are blight resistant and can produce a lot of chestnuts.

The ones I had were American Chestnut. (Other grandparents than those that had the farm.) Don't think I have eaten chestnuts in 50 years. Do the Chinese chestnuts taste the same as the American?

I have eaten lots of Chinese chestnuts, because we had trees when I was a kid, and I ate some this fall, from some trees growing in a SGL property, but I've never eaten American chestnuts.

Here's an interesting statement from the Wikipedia entry on American Chestnuts.

"C. dentata was once one of the most common trees in the Northeastern US. In Pennsylvania alone, it is estimated to have comprised 25-30% of all hardwoods."

That's right, but key word is hardwoods.

But in much of the state, the hardwoods are secondary growth.

Northern half of the state especially was mostly pine and hemlock.

Pat is correct. You can find that on wiki, tool

Quote:
Eastern white pine forests originally covered much of northeastern North America. Only one percent of the old-growth forests remain after the extensive logging operations that existed from the 18th century into the early 20th century.

white pine

Lots of other useful info in that wiki page.

Troutbert, I believe your assessment of the first link in the OP is accurate. It was one small micro-sampling of a margin zone which is not indicative of the entire forest as implied in the title.

Posted on: 2/4 9:12

Edited by FarmerDave on 2014/2/4 9:30:56

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
171 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com