Volunteers Needed - TCTU and Berks Conserv Tully Rip Improv

jdaddy

jdaddy

Hi guys,

Many members of this forum has expressed displeasure in the lack of stream work by some of the local TU chapters. Additionally, a lot of these same folks have said they will volunteer and provide manual labor for these improvements. I am glad to say that we have quite a few projects forth coming in the next two years. The riparian buffer improvement in October, a redressing and maintenance of the failing deflectors on the upper creek system, bank modification to the confluence of Cacoosing and a couple of larger projects on the Tully above Blue March are all in the works for the next two years. This does not include other local area stream projects.

I am looking for some volunteers to help us out with riparian buffer improvements on the lower Tully. I would like for volunteers to PM or email me for this project as well as express any interest in future projects. That way I can keep a distribution list of potential helpers.

The project is aimed to improve the water quality and aquatic habitat of the Tully primarily by establishing a healthy 20 foot wide riparian buffer, where none currently exists. Through a grant from the NRCS (matched by an anonymous foundation) we are planting 150 native trees and shrubs along the approximate 2300 feet of this section of the Tully Saturday, October 9th from 9:00 AM to Noon.

After the project we can head over to the Tully house for burgers and dogs or we could fish. Or we could do both!

Again, please send me a PM or email with your interest level in this project and future projects.

If anyone wants to step up and help out, I'll offer a tour of the fishing spots around my old stomping grounds afterward. And no, I don't mean the tully. :-D

Fall is a great time to fish berks county. For anyone that's never been to the area, it's a good chance to check it out. There's a substantial limestone belt, and I've always thought that the area was just as good as the lehigh valley, at least once I learned my way around.

Hey JDaddy, I also have a friend from down from that area that is interested in lending a hand, She is a lady so she should be good planting stuff lol add 1 more to your group

jayL wrote:
If anyone wants to step up and help out, I'll offer a tour of the fishing spots around my old stomping grounds afterward. And no, I don't mean the tully. :-D

Fall is a great time to fish berks county. For anyone that's never been to the area, it's a good chance to check it out. There's a substantial limestone belt, and I've always thought that the area was just as good as the lehigh valley, at least once I learned my way around.

Jay gets the creative idea of the week for that offer. Two thumbs up!

Very kind offer. It is only going to take a few hours and we could do burgers/dogs at Tully house and the BUG FACTORY I was on this evening (like Jay, not the Tully).

I would also note that we have a ton of new projects in the works. People asked what TCTU is doing and I have been pushing really hard to get everyone moving and it is working. Today I and three other board members spent half the day on an upper area of the Tully, above Blue Marsh Lake. This is nice COLD limestone water (temp was 67.8 today at Noon) with huge potential. We had federal agencies, surveyors, etc on this stretch as we attempt to put together a grant proposal that would have a value approaching $250,000 with in kind matching. This wonderful section of the stream has been posted against fishing for years. The owner has expressed interest in potentially opening this water to fly fishing only with cooperation from PFBC and anglers.

I am an engineer, let me know if I can volunteer time in the paperwork shuffle which is usually associated with those grants.

Bump ........Time and meeting place set up?

I think they should save their money up and dredge out the lake by the dam no point in a buffer if you have no cold water . Or just use all the funds for up stream .

.................................Just Saying.......................................

Fred,

Riparian buffers benefit all sections of the watershed not just cold water trout holding water. This venture was spearheaded by the Berks Conservancy, not TU. We are assisting. We would not have initiated the project, however we do support it and did in kind donations via labor.

It's funny that people keep talking about dredging the lake. It will have little to no effect on water discharge temps. Historical data supports that water temps are not substantially different for the last 30 years. Frankly, I am more interested in seeing if getting more DO into the water would be of benefit and if it would be viable.

If you look at the other Tully TU thread that I have on this page, I agree with you whole heartedly. We are waiting on funding for approved projects on the upper stretches of the Tully and are currently applying for a $250,000 project on the same. End of August, blazing heat and that water was 59 degrees! There are a number of other projects that have been completed in the last couple years, as well as projects including a prime brook trout habitat in the works. Having said that, everyone complains and complains about the DHAFLO and need for improvements and they do not appreciate other project waters in the area very much.

Saturday, October 9, 2010 (Rain date TBD)
9am-12pm
Berks County Leisure Area
Grings Mill Rec Center

Gring's Mill
2083 Tulpehocken Road
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Call me a maybe. I appreciate the work and I need to get more involved in stuff like this. My time is just crazy right now, though. If everything goes well between now and then, I'll be there.

I want to thank the PAFF members who attended the planting. The Berks Conservancy guys had used auger to drill all the holes so it was pretty much like cheating. I'll be sure to go back in a few months and see how the trees are making out.
Thanks again!

Shot out of a cannon!!! :hammer:

Back