Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: TU Article: At What Price Glory

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Quote:
and my memory won't be able to duplicate many of those trips the way photos can.

See, for me, memory beats the photo's on it's own. If it's memory vs. photo, memory wins.

That might be the case at this point in your life, it will be a different story when you're 75 or 80 though. Wait, you have to already know that. The mind can't reproduce anywhere near the detail/color of a good quality pic.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 10:52

From Pittsburgh, PA
I take pics whenever I want. I personally think the article is a bit sanctimonious. Another poster put it best, the best thing for the trout would be not to fish for them.

That being said, I think common sense prevails. I wont take a picture of a fish that isnt exceptional. No reason to. Second, its actually hard for me to take a pic of a fish because I rarely play them to complete exhaustion and they typically have a lot of juice left. I dont undergear for the water/fish and try to catch Steelies on my 3 weight or big trout on a 2 weight. Overplaying a fish and then keeping it out of the water will of course kill fish. Youre an idiot to think otherwise.

If you are practicing catch and release then use the proper gear, play the fish properly, take your grip and grin if the fish isnt over played and release it safely. There is plenty of research that supports that this works and many people, even people here, have caught the same fish a year later, or even longer.

However, if you under gear because you want "a fighter", handle the fish poorly, take a pic of an exhausted fish thats already near death, and then release it then thats wanton waste and on you.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 14:00

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
The mind can't reproduce anywhere near the detail/color of a good quality pic.

Now that's funny, guess you're not much into art are you?

Posted on: 2013/10/7 14:22

Thank you, PghTrouthunter. I think what you said is right on the money, including the tone of the article (now that my copy of the magazine finally arrived and I could read it -- even squinting, I couldn't read the online version).

Posted on: 2013/10/7 16:55

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

tomitrout wrote:
Quote:
The mind can't reproduce anywhere near the detail/color of a good quality pic.

Now that's funny, guess you're not much into art are you?

Glad you found it humorous, but where does art fit into this thread?

Posted on: 2013/10/7 17:39

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
Glad you found it humorous, but where does art fit into this thread?

Well, considering some of the amazing works of art I've seen over the years, I'm pretty sure 'the mind' can create many things that put a decent photo to shame.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 18:12

I always appreciate these reminders about handling fish properly. However, the comparison between CnR guys potentially killing more than a creel guy is absurd, and I just dont like it. Write your article about properly handling fish, and warn people that CNR can be fatal sometimes. This article was over-dramatized in every imaginable way. Fakey fakerton staged photo on page one, upside down dead rainbow blown up on page two. I like the idea being presented, but execution was missed--badly.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 20:23

From Harrisburg
I agree strongly, pwk

Posted on: 2013/10/8 12:13

From Clearfield
I find it very strange that people who fake something into eating feathers and string attached to hooks, that they then embed in the side of their faces, drag them around by it only to do the equivalent of holding a humans head under water, is so worried about taking picture of said thing. I am all for not killing the fish but come on... it all seems so hypocritical.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 13:00

From LV
You all exagerate the fragility of trout.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 12:23

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
111 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com