TU Article: At What Price Glory

PatrickC

PatrickC

http://online.qmags.com/TU0913S#pg1&mode2

This article is in the Fall 2013 Trout magazine and just happens to be the current online sample that anyone can read. A topic we discuss often on numerous threads. At the end of the day, the reality is, we've ALL done it. We have to get better with it. This a a good article that we can all learn something from. Good stuff, take a read!

That's a good read.

Glad to see that this article was published.

Just came in the mail today. I'll be sure to read...

I remember some state college locals telling me years ago that 1 "catch and release" fishermen does more damage than 2 catch and keep guys.

thought being that the catch and keep leave after they hit their limit. the C&R guy just keeps on catching and snapping photos and dumping the fish back in.

I know I have been guilty of it also. I have been really enjoying photographing the fish underwater and the unique shots that you get there. I suppose if I ever caught one worth a grip and grin I would quickly do so if possible but that involves catching a big'n first and thats just not something I do.

Great read and definitely a nod towards the sport returning to that status of being sporting. respecting our resource is paramount to our continued enjoyment and also our heritage past and present. It's something we should try harder to reclaim.

Great article....For the most part I am so concerned with getting the fish back in the water that I do not take photos. My phone has a built in camera, however the only time it comes out of my pocket is to answer someone's call. This article hits home for me where it talks about the 30/60 second results. I try to keep the fish out of the water even less time than that. If family and friends don't believe my catches than they should go fishing with me.

"At the end of the day, the reality is, we've ALL done it."

Keep a fish out of water for a long time to take a pic? nope. I put fish back fast. by the time people get there with camera fish is gone.

I don't count or measure fish, beyond knowing that butt-to-grip-end of my usual brookie rod just less than ten inches. If I want, I can compare in an instant, and the fish is on its way.

Have super simple Fuji water and shockproof camera in ez-access vest pocket: fast image if I want one.

Pictures, btw, don't prove how big a fish is, still have to believe the fisherman, some variability there :)

last fish pic I took below. fun to try when they're back in the water.

for brookie fishing, stream images are imho more interesting than fish images anyhow...

Attachments

• 9949593714_f936be60f5_z.jpg
    9949593714_f936be60f5_z.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 10037975215_d94c173227.jpg
    10037975215_d94c173227.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 3
The rule I have always gone by is the fish shouldn't leave the water for more than 5 seconds at a time. It may sound brief, but it really isn't. If the guy with the camera is ready, 5 seconds is plenty to get a shot.

The comparison that the author makes that keeping a fish out of water is like holding someone's head underwater is pretty convincing.

A landing REALLY is worth its weight in gold when it comes to C & R fishing. Keep the fish in the net, let it recover some, take a pic in the net, etc., etc. Proper C & R technique is just as much a lifelong learning skill in fly fishing as anything else.

PatrickC wrote:
http://online.qmags.com/TU0913S#pg1&mode2

This article is in the Fall 2013 Trout magazine and just happens to be the current online sample that anyone can read. A topic we discuss often on numerous threads. At the end of the day, the reality is, we've ALL done it. We have to get better with it. This a a good article that we can all learn something from. Good stuff, take a read!

I think I can say, with a touch of caution, that it's not my reality which is why I do not have a picture of my best wild trout ever, an honest 20'' from a small stream. I'm a lot like Pennypack flyer on this in that I too am so concerned for the fish's survival that I usually do not take photos. Of the few photos I have taken, probably 99% of them have been of the fish in a C&R net and lifted inches from the water for a second or two before release. I agree though it's a good article and we can all learn from it.

The fact of the matter is it will likely just get worse and worse. More people are carrying cameras, phones, GoPro, etc in order to document their live so they can blast it across social media outlets. There is a thread around here somewhere about narcissism and frankly that is pretty much what it all boils down to.

Catch and release is to be for the survival of the fish and taking pictures as one said just to be able to put on social media is a problem. I mean come on just how many pictures of average fish can one have of themselves.

It may be true that some do it to prove they actually caught fish that day but at the end of the day I personally don't care if people believe me or not, I try not to let the fish out of the water at all, released in the net, in the water is how I always try to do it. Maybe it is because I have been at this a while but I could care less about pictures any more. Fly fishing goes way beyond the catch and the proof of it, it has been described as a passion, a addiction and so on but it is really a way of life and the actual catch is just a bonus of that lifestyle.

right, it's called fishing, not catching.

I realize that I am different than many fishermen, but on of one of my best trips this year, I caught one fish. A wild brown on a fantastic stream, one of several I tried that day. Beautiful stream, place to go back to, some stream pictures and a nice hike...

Technology has allowed us to communicate almost instantly from almost anywhere with written words, voice, pics and video.

Both good and bad. Mostly good, IMO.

Here to stay.

Deal with it.

Take care of the fish, though. I would guess nearly every one on here does every thing they can to not jeopardize the life of a fish for the sake of getting a pic. If not, start doing so.

I love tech and gear - gps w/ detailed topo, locator beacon, android phone w/ map apps, infrared thermometer, shock/waterproof camera, motox shin guards, breathable waders, silly $100 vented fishing shirts. Makes fishing better and safer.

Sometimes imho it's better to compromise fishing for the sake of the fish. Catch a first brookie from a stealthy lie below a nice pool, line around branch, better to walk up and spook em to let that fish go. Same with camera. Sometimes better to compromise picture for sake of the fish. If you cant take a fast image, there's always another fish.

I personally love to take pictures of fish. A mounted deer head can appear as a trophy, or a feather in ones cap as it were. The other way to look at it is that it is to commemorate a beautiful animal. It's all in the motive man, and to each his own. With that said, I was just watching a fly fishing show. The cheeky fellow grabbed the fish and the fish sprung out of his hands on to the bank and the wrestling ensued. Once the fish was wrangled, it was promptly held up for the camera, smile, snap, snap. My man then stuck the fish in the water and holdiing it from the top with thumb and forefinger holding the gill plates shut. I love the next part. This is when he swooshed the fish back and forth for a period of time prior to release in the swift water. There is alot that can be said here about the proper way to handle fish. Which is I believe the main issue.
Personally, I have never carried a net, even though I own some really nice ones. Never Grab The Fish, Cradle it. Be gentle, roll it upside down, unhook it, roll it right side up, never lifting it's head from the water. Really big fish or fish you want to get personal with, beach slowly, not rushed. When you were young did you ever try to catch a wild kitten. Move slow no fast movements to spook the fish, guide the fish to a position where you can kneel on both knees between the fish an the main river. You can then get to know the fish a little better. At this point a measurement, pic. If I need or want a grip and grin, I will rest the fish for some time. If the gills are still flapping away after an arduous fight, Don't lift it's head out of the water. Who wants to run a sprint then stick their head underwater. This isn't rocket science. After the pictures or whatever. I will stand and gently cradle the fish toward slightly deeper water then release. Most times the fish will lie there for a period of time. It's amazing how sedate they may become if handled very gingerly and their head never leaves the water. After the fish realizes its free to go it almost always brings a chuckle to myself or whomever is with me as the fish blasts out into the current. This is 90 percent of the time. On the rare occasion a fish just will not cooperate and their are times where I wish I had a net. I'm only giving my thoughts on this. I in no way am saying they are the only way to do things. However, if it can help one person be a better FISH WHISPERER then it's all worth it. Seriously, I do think rubbing the belly may help to calm the fish. Does anyone know or have done any hand fishing as a kid? Way off topic, sorry.

I agree with k-bob that stream pictures are more interesting. I take some, but need to take more.

When I'm "on my game", I like to have "threads" of pictures, with both scenery and fish. In chronological order. The reason I take pictures is so that the set of pictures tells the story of the day. And 3 years down the road I can open up that folder and re-live a memorable day, filling in the gaps between pictures with memories. The catching of a fish usually reminds me to take pictures. But I have a habit/problem of not taking scenery pics during the longer fishless periods.

As far as fish pics, fish stays in water till I ready the camera. I usually grab the fly to position the fish for the pic, unless it's really big. Then slide it onto something, like a wet streamside moss, my wet waders, etc. Lift, snap, and put it back in the water with a twist so that the fly comes out, and the fish is off.

If the hook is in a difficult spot, like deep or in that tough little corner of the mouth, where it might be hard to remove, then I don't take pics. And that's probably when I'm at most danger of hurting the fish, cause it can take a little bit to get that hook out.

I've seen way more bad handling related to anglers not unhooking their fish fast enough. If handling related mortality is truly a problem, taking photos is only a small part of that problem IMO.

Back