Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Trout Unlimited is a "fringe environmental group"

still may be a... fringe of the fringe

Posted on: 3/20 8:32

Edited by k-bob on 2014/3/20 8:49:15

From danboro pa
I recently joined tu,an look forward to doing my part in helping to preserve our trout waters.I am also a registerd voter and plan to do my cleaning at the polls too

Posted on: 3/21 8:01

RANDY NEWMEN

From LV
If not T.U. then Who?

Posted on: 3/23 8:32

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
If not T.U. then Who?

Was that a joke? (your avatar)

Posted on: 3/24 7:45

Chaz, these days there are plenty of groups that do habitat work on streams other than TU, depending upon the county or drainage basin. All are welcomed in this regard, including TU. For example, check out how much work the Mill Ck watershed association has done in Lancaster Co. They accomplish in one season what it takes years to accomplish by some other groups. Again, any and all work is appreciated. Secondly, check the work done by the Schuylkill Headwaters Association.

Posted on: 3/31 7:24

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
It is kind of interesting that on paflyfish you have these two common types of posts regarding TU:

1) TU is fringe, extremist, bad, I cannot support them, etc.

In this thread I did not see a single one of this type of post. Couple said they were fringe, and by definition, most special interest groups are fringe. We are the enthusiasts, and that makes us fringe! But nobody said they were bad or that they cannot support them.

FWIW, I am a TU member and I do support them. However, I will say that over-time I've begun to believe that my dollar may do more lasting good in the hands of a watershed association or conservancy.

It's not an either/or thing, they're all good organizations. Just a matter of looking for the best bang for your buck.

Posted on: 3/31 7:44

Pcray,
Being a TU member would be a conflict of interest for me, at least in Pa, but I am in a unique circumstance. I used to be a member of the Delaware River Shad Fishermens Association for a number of years, but I could see things changing and dropped out because I thought it would also become a conflict of interest...and it did. So it is not just TU. I never thought about joining BASS, although LMB mgmt is one of my specialties and given my role in coastal striped bass mgmt in recent years I could not join a striper group either. I would be ok with most watershed associations, however, and I have considered donating to some groups whose work I have witnessed. I could not join just any watershed group, but I have been particularly impressed with some. When there could be or is a conflict between a club or organization to which I belong and my employer it is better to not be a member in my view.

Posted on: 3/31 13:35

Edited by Mike on 2014/3/31 13:56:40
Edited by Mike on 2014/3/31 14:09:01

What about Ducks Unlimited?

DU does a lot of environmental work that benefits both warm and cold water fisheries and yet, there is likely no conflict for you.

You don't hunt waterfowl? Neither do I, at least not yet.

Just sayin.

Posted on: 3/31 13:49

Farmer Dave,
I don't know enough about them to say for sure, but from what I have seen of their work in Lancaster Co, I would tend to agree. I don 't hunt, but I am a birder. The group does great things for riparian habitat and stream banks.

Posted on: 3/31 13:59

It's why I joined DU instead of TU. I have nothing against TU, it's just that DU does more around where I live and they have nicer gifts for joining.

As I said, I haven't hunted water fowl yet, but I do have a nice recipe for Goose pastrami that I got from this site so who knows.

Posted on: 3/31 14:41

From LV
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Chaz, these days there are plenty of groups that do habitat work on streams other than TU, depending upon the county or drainage basin. All are welcomed in this regard, including TU. For example, check out how much work the Mill Ck watershed association has done in Lancaster Co. They accomplish in one season what it takes years to accomplish by some other groups. Again, any and all work is appreciated. Secondly, check the work done by the Schuylkill Headwaters Association.

Mike, I wasn't saying that TU was the only group out there, but I'm glad you answered because to me there are far to few anglers that are doing their share. Because some have a thing against T.U. it's valuable information for these anglers to know there are alternatives. My question was more rhetorical then anything else. More like, What would you have T.U. do?

Posted on: 4/1 8:25

From Lehighton, PA
Mike, TU often works in partnership with many other organizations, including watershed associations. Often, we share the same goals. I can't tell you how many times TU members have helped out at Watershed Association projects and vice versa.

Recently, the EPA enacted Clean Water Act requirements for the proposed Pebble Mine in Bristol Bay, the world's greatest wild salmon fishery. This is a major win (though not a final victory) for protecting this vital fishery from irreparable harm or destruction. I'm proud to say I'm a member of TU, a group that has been at the very forefront of this effort to protect Bristol Bay from harm from this proposed mine. TU has led a charge here for years, a dedicated effort that helped to gain more and more partners and supporters from within the Alaskan community and around the country and world. For me, that is what epitomizes what TU is all about.

Posted on: 4/2 22:04

I met Tom Wolf through business years ago. He will get my vote.

Posted on: 4/4 22:55

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com