The Corbett Memorial Day Patriot Fly (MS Drilling Exec. Order)

barrybarry

barrybarry

Nice timing. Thanks.

Corbett issued an executive order Friday that will allow drillers to bore horizontally into the rock deep below underneath public lands from adjacent, privately owned lands, so long as there is no long-term disturbance to the surface of the forests and parks.

And we won't see a drop of that natural gas because its all bound for Europe...

And you can bet the money wont go back into the parks!!

I'd still like clarification on what are considered "long-term" and "short-term" "disturbances" of the surface.

Remember that when it comes time to vote in november!

Drilling is an important topic and of interest to our readership. As such, we have been gathering these threads in the Conservation forum. I have also edited the title so that readers can identify this as a drilling topic thread. Thread will be moved soon.
Thanks,
DaveW

Money? The Commonwealth receives NO ROYALTIES for these foreign oil companies taking our natural resources. They paid earlier, in the form of Corbett campaign contributions. #censor# is so crooked, it takes two aides to screw his pants on every morning.

Oh yes. ALL the natural gas is going overseas. We aren't seeing a drop of it.

Gentlemen and Ladies,

I made the move. But, a word of caution:

Politically tinged topics have in the distant past caused serious turmoil in the forums. This is why the OT Jam Forum was created.

With conservation topics, politics always rears its head and sometime the head gets ugly. Politics is not prohibited where it is germane to the conservation topic, but it is best to keep the invective to a minimum.

Please, by all means carry on, just be respectful of one another and try to keep the public official bashing on a low key, if possible. It will be good for the discussion and good for the board community.

On the topic, I would comment:

Zoning Laws are prevalent in PA and lawful to impose if done through due process of law. I don't see why certain areas of the Commonwealth cannot be set aside for non-disturbance. Just like you should not be able to erect a 6-story apartment complex in and R-1 (single family) residential district, you should not be permitted to defile the surface or drill under sensitive areas. Surely the state lands in question are not exclusively fertile for gas extraction.

Drill, baby, drill-- but, drill elsewhere, please.

http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2014/apr/20/michael-reagan-pennsylovania-cannot-afford-to/

http://www.wolfforpa.com/sections/page/marcellus-shale

I ask, so what?

So what if all the gas is used overseas or used here, do we really need to drill every square inch of pa?

Gas supply is at an all time high. Do we need to drill all our forests? We as humans always wait till the sky is falling to react, until it involves the all mighty dollar.

dryflyguy wrote:
Remember that when it comes time to vote in november!

I surely will but I'm not voting for his liberal democrat opponent. I don't like Corbett at all but unfortunately I still think he's the lesser of two evils, so to speak.

Quite frankly, the biggest issue of impact from fracking I think has proven to be runoff from the new gravel roads and wear and tear on paved roads from all the trucking associated with this drilling.

tuberider251 wrote:
And we won't see a drop of that natural gas because its all bound for Europe...

So what?

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I ask, so what?

So what if all the gas is used overseas or used here, do we really need to drill every square inch of pa?

Gas supply is at an all time high. Do we need to drill all our forests? We as humans always wait till the sky is falling to react, until it involves the all mighty dollar.

You drill where the gas is, it's as simple as that. Fortunately that gas is under PA and we are profiting from it. And of course gas supply is at an all-time high and guess what, so is demand. It's almost like there's an economic theory that explains all this.

Cept, the gas really isn't going overseas. I don't know where people got that. Well, I do, I guess. But it's not true. Yet.

There have been lots of discussions about "shipping" large amounts. Currently, only 2 ports in the USA export gas, one in Louisiana and another in Alaska. If any Marcellus gas has been "shipped" thus far, it's fractions of a %. Because of the glut of gas supply in our pipeline system from Marcellus, there are now 20 some idle IMPORT ports. We no longer have the need to import much gas like we used to. These ports are hooked up to pipelines. There has been great discussion politically about reversing these import sites, and the pipelines which feed them, to make them export sites. i.e. ship out instead of in. President Obama is even in support. Many have applied for DEP permits to carry through on this, but thus far only a few have been approved and none have completed the switch and are capable of shipping shale gas. The sites do have to be physically reconfigured to export gas. But the price of that reconfiguration is certainly less than building a greenfield site.

I was trying to use the term "shipping" instead of export. Because the vast majority of shale gas, like traditional gas, is currently a pipeline game. Each well connects to a pipeline. The gas each well puts in is metered. The gas each user takes out is metered. But it is not traced where each molecule comes from. These pipelines do NOT go overseas, but the grid is indeed one and the same as Canada's grid. So technically, yes, a fair % is "exported" over the Canadian border, and to a lesser extent, the Mexican border. But so far 99+% of it is being used in North America and not "overseas."

To further what pcray has posted, the gas really isnt going very far for the most part because frankly, there aren't enough ways to get it there. I read a few months ago that customers in the northeast part of the country were getting hammered over the winter because of the high cost to heat their homes. Even though there is a glut of natural gas in some parts of the country, there is no easy way to get the gas from PA or OH or whever to Maine or Massachusetts

Can someone explain to me why, if we are the only state that doesn't tax the gas from fracking, and we start to tax it, why won't my natural gas bill go up. The gas company is not going to take the hit, it will be everyone who uses it.........

Biggie wrote:
Can someone explain to me why, if we are the only state that doesn't tax the gas from fracking, and we start to tax it, why won't my natural gas bill go up. The gas company is not going to take the hit, it will be everyone who uses it.........
With a severance tax rather then an an extraction tax. In a severance tax, only the O&G that leaves the state is taxed. Thus the residents, and voters, are not taxed.

JasonS wrote:
salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I ask, so what?

You drill where the gas is, it's as simple as that. Fortunately that gas is under PA and we are profiting from it. And of course gas supply is at an all-time high and guess what, so is demand. It's almost like there's an economic theory that explains all this.

Say's Law? :)

Back