Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Tell Pennsylvania Representatives that Anglers Oppose House Bill 1576

From Ephrata, PA
He's a wanker? Looks like he took some time to respond to you thoughtfully. Even though he disagrees with you, he at least gave you his time. Why don't you respond back with a point by point rebuttal? I'd be interested in reading it, at least.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 21:48

From Lansdale
I received the exact same thing. How long does it take to have a secretary forward a form letter ? All it says is that another agency will be overseeing and helping streamline a process already in place. Supposedly it won't remove any ability for PFBC to protect endangered species. The letter DOESN"T say whether the rep will or will not support the bill. It only says he'll remember my position on the matter. I'm going to try to find out what my rep's position is.

Posted on: 2013/11/25 6:03

From Ephrata, PA
Oh okay. So it's the auto response to the TU letter LOL!

Posted on: 2013/11/25 8:09

It's not just TU that is opposing this bill. There are many other conservation groups opposing it.

Posted on: 2013/11/25 8:39

From Lansdale
Don't know if this was already posted, but here is Pyle's blurb from the state website:
House Co-Sponsorship Memoranda
By Member | By Date | Keyword Search

MEMORANDUM
Posted: June 12, 2013 01:57 PM
To: All House members
Subject: Endangered Species Coordination Act

In the near future, I plan on introducing the Endangered Species Coordination Act to establish a uniform and transparent process for evaluating; designating and protecting threatened and endangered species and their critical habitats in the Commonwealth.

The legislation has four main elements: 1) standardizes a state process for listing of threatened or endangered species by formalizing existing resource agency authority via rulemaking; 2) consolidates the listings into a centralized database managed by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources; 3) grants access to information in the database to planners required to consider the impacts that a project could have or to those involved in conservationist efforts; and 4) protects sensitive data by prohibiting the disclosure of the information to anyone not involved in a development or conservation project.

Another benefit of this legislation is that it places the decisions of the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and Pennsylvania Game Commission under the review of Independent Regulatory Review Commission. As Pennsylvania’s last two remaining extra-governmental promulgated rule making bodies, the right of our concerned citizens to exercise due process in appealing a decision would, for the first time, have a forum to do so with the IRRC. The legislation does not, however, address or direct any establishment of seasons, bag limits, et al.

Should you have any questions, please contact Erica Godsey at (717) 783-5327 or at egodsey@pahousegop.com.

Thank you for your consideration.

Posted on: 2013/11/25 8:48

From Ephrata, PA
I know. I don't mean to sound cynical. I did sign the letter from the TU page. I didn't realize this was a mass generated response from this representative (I personally got nothing back from mine), but instead of calling the guy a wanker or whatever, I'd rather hear rebuttals of his points. I'm very slow to jump on board any "activist" movement, because quite frankly, many of them seem gut-reactionary grounded in fear more than fact. The unity of the sporting community alone on this one is enough for me to consider this worthy of fighting against, but I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who is cynical of online political activism. So I'm serious when I say I'd truly like to see a point by point, well thought out response to some of the statements made by this representative.

Posted on: 2013/11/25 8:49

the form letter is interesting; the form letter says: "The bill would provide for coordination of the agencies and grant more transparent access to information". What's not transparent about the process to designate a wild trout stream?

1) the stream is surveyed, 2) the fish are there or not, 3) if they are, the decision is made and posted for public comment, 4) the decision is voted on at next PAFBC meeting.

Sorry, but I don't see the dark specter of any anti business bias lurking in that process. If there is more to the process than that, please, someone enlighten me.

The bill also says that " The reality is that most delays in approving regulations arise from delays within the agency promulgating the regulation before it gets to IRRC, or are the result of problems with the regulation that IRRC or the standing committees may ask an agency to address. In addition, there is also an avenue for temporary emergency regulations to be put in place while IRRC is reviewing a proposed regulation."

This is the 1st time that I have ever seen more government, more committees, and more red tape, presented as a republican ideal.

This sounds familar. If memory serves me correctly, this same Rep. Pyle who sponsors the bill was behind a similar move 2 or so years ago when he and the coal lobby asked the governor's office to "delay" the designation of wild trout streams and that they were taking place "too fast". Of course Mr. Arway declined to heed this delay for any amount of time and now the "hold it up" sentiment is back, this time as part of this bill.

In my opinion, the wild trout streams part of this bill is nothing more than naked agression against one agency that isn't beholden to state politics when it makes its decsions on behalf of the environment of the commonwealth.

I wonder how any of these elected representatives would like it if:

- We appointed an independent commission to automatically review the count of the votes that won them office, no matter what the margin of victory.

- This IRRC (a commission that may or may not be made up of member of the opposit party who would look for anyway to overturn the results) can ask for clarifications, evidence, anything it wants to examine the "validity" of the vote count.

-While all this going on the elected rep couldn't work and couldn't collect a paycheck until this IRRC finished its review, even it took them about 2 years into the new term?

Posted on: 2013/11/25 9:01

From Nazareth PA
These were the same talking points I received from my Rep. They really try to sound like they have our best interest at heart but when you consider that we are all basically getting a canned response you know that they have been told what to say incase anyone complained.

We are all starting to realize who they represent and it isn't us.

Posted on: 2013/11/25 9:40

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

From SCPA
Sasquatch,
Earlier in this thread I posted a link to a previous discussion that took place on here about the bill before it made it out of committee. In the video that vcregular posted in that thread, John Arway (Executive Director PFBC) lays out a very convincing (IMHO) argument against the measures in the bill. You also get a real sense of motivation and lack of scientific knowledge of those proposing the rule changes throughout the hearing as well. I know it's long, but check out some of the dialogue from Pyle and the other supporters of the bill, and then listen to Arway. Gives a good summary of some of the reasons for support and opposition.

Posted on: 2013/11/25 10:09

From Philly
The testimony I read in support of the bill did little to persuade me that it has anything to do with keeping PA beautiful. I'd say the sole focus was on how it's more expensive to conduct business and adhere to the rules governing class "a" trout streams or areas where known T/E species exist.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 8:40

From Lansdale
I've sent a separate email to my rep, asking him for HIS position on the proposal. That form letter was double talk, smoke screen crap.
I don't want a canned response.

Posted on: 2013/11/28 9:23

From Butler County
I got the same response from mine as well, however it was shortened.

So I guess if Rep. Pyle wants the last two independent agencies to come under gov't control with their decisions, then they should fund them as well, right? As soon as those become governmental decisions, then tax dollars should be used to fund the agencies just like DCNR and DEP. Not that I want that to happen, but...

Posted on: 2013/11/29 10:31

I wonder who wrote the form letter that is being used by all these different state reps?

Maybe a writer working for one of the industry trade groups?

And I wonder who wrote THE BILL?

The answer might be the same.

Posted on: 2013/11/29 10:45

From State College

Posted on: 11/30 2:09

From Southeastern Pa
Hey, Sas. why don't YOU think about a point by point rebuttal to the letter?

you can't ask everyone to do your thinking for you and then complain about the response you get. No one here is being an activist, we want the same thing the bill is asking for: transparency. Only we want to know why this bill is even being proposed. It's obviously not helping our commonwealth protect it's resource's so who IS it helping?

educate yourself on the issue, connect the dots and write a rebuttal yourself. it will mean more to you then.

Posted on: 12/4 19:26

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
153 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com