Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Suspicious Dumping

Quote:

Because it's much more fun the blow out the margins.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 15:24

From Eastern PA
Quote:
I didn't see a license plate on the truck.

Ya, I didn't either but he has good video of the DOT number on side of the cab and the company logo and contact information. US DOT 1234235 K & M Equipment Co IFTA Truck #668.

It looks like developing information is that this was actually an approved area for the trucks to withdraw water to be used for fracking. The guy does mention that this is a water service area.

Posted on: 2010/12/9 16:09

From Johnstown, PA
Sal......That video you put up shows up on you tube under the heading "Conemaugh river" I'm not real computer savvy , how could one go about finding out WHERE on the Conemaugh River that took place? The Conemaugh is and has been in real bad shape near Johnstown for a long , long time but farther upstream it has come back to the point that they are stocking it. There have been some posts on here about how it has recovered in the upper reaches , acid mine drainage was the problem and as the mills and mines closed it recovered somewhat. I sure wish i could find out where on the Conemaugh that was.

Posted on: 2010/12/11 5:56

From Bozeman
Osprey,

The caption under the video should help narrow it down:

"Canoeing on the beautiful trip to Saltsburg from the Conemaugh Dam, we discovered Tunnleton Liquids Co. discharging Marcellus Shale frac water into the Conemaugh, the entire area smelled badly of chemicals.

Below the frac discharge, there was a brown froth that covered the river the whole way to Saltsburg, and kids swimming in it along the way. One wonders what this does to fish and other acquatic species on the Conemaugh and Kiski Rivers. This should be stopped."

Posted on: 2010/12/12 17:07

From Greensburg, PA
On sal's video...wondering why they thought it was frack fluid as opposed to some other pollution...

Posted on: 2010/12/12 17:10

From Johnstown, PA
TomG..........is that the western pa Conemaugh? I'm not familiar with the kiski. I do know from asking around that the frac fluids , some of them , are made up at a central location and then sent out in plastic mesh enclosed containers , that's what Haliburton does in Indiana.

Posted on: 2010/12/12 17:16

From Greensburg, PA

Posted on: 2010/12/12 17:38

From Greensburg, PA
If you zoom out in the pic above you can see the lot next to the river which I guess is what is being referred to.

interesting link... http://www.marcellus-shale.us/waste-treatment-corp.htm

Does that mean that any discharge from any of these is frack fluid...no...and this discharge is probably not either.

http://www.marcellus-shale.us/water.htm

Posted on: 2010/12/12 17:42

From Bucks County,Pa

Posted on: 2010/12/19 14:16

From SE PA
Quote:

They have so much inaccurate info in that video I have to wonder if the rest is accurate?

Posted on: 2010/12/21 16:53

From Eastern PA
Agreed and nothing makes us conservation minded people look like nut jobs when facts are screwed up constantly.

Man, it would be tough to be one of the tanker drivers having that a-hole reporter asking those stupid questions. I am actually glad he took the high road.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 19:24

From SE PA
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Agreed and nothing makes us conservation minded people look like nut jobs when facts are screwed up constantly.

Man, it would be tough to be one of the tanker drivers having that a-hole reporter asking those stupid questions. I am actually glad he took the high road.

I'm anxious to see these tankers that carry 180,000 gallons of water. That's 1.4 million pounds. Bet that thing squashes some bridges!

Posted on: 2010/12/21 19:51

From Altoona
Regardless of hyperbolic reporting, this is a serious concern. This is one thing I feel is extremely important to regulate more closely.

I did a report for school on the drillings, but mainly did my research on the components of the frac water and how poorly managed drilling sites lead to disaster for local wildlife.

What's horrible is that different companies use different "recipes" for the frac water, so there could be pretty much anything being dumped into the environment. Some companies use a chemical that is basically anti-freeze.

I'm all for the drillings, but only if it's done in a highly regulated situation, which it's not. Wells rupturing, illegal dumping. It's disgusting.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 0:46

From SE PA
Quote:

gochs wrote:
Regardless of hyperbolic reporting, this is a serious concern. This is one thing I feel is extremely important to regulate more closely.

I did a report for school on the drillings, but mainly did my research on the components of the frac water and how poorly managed drilling sites lead to disaster for local wildlife.

What's horrible is that different companies use different "recipes" for the frac water, so there could be pretty much anything being dumped into the environment. Some companies use a chemical that is basically anti-freeze.

I'm all for the drillings, but only if it's done in a highly regulated situation, which it's not. Wells rupturing, illegal dumping. It's disgusting.

If you go here: http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputa ... Violations/OGInspviol.htm

You can see the types of violations that are being found during DEP site inspections. As we can see there are regulations being applied to drillers and inspections are occurring. Are they as detailed as required? Are they happening as often as we would like? Probably not but it shows there is a fair effort to police the sites and not the wild west that many would think.

Much of the media and other drilling critics like to throw large numbers around for the water need for drilling. To put some of these numbers in perspective a creek like Penns which probably has an average flow of 500 cfps through the year has a flow of about 319 million gallons of water a day. If we used 1% of that each day we could fill over 750 of those 4000 gallon tankers they are using to transport water.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 10:31

From Altoona
The way I see it, yeah there are regulations. However, there has to be more stringent regulations. I understand accidents happen, but there have been way too many catastrophes in the past 7 or 8 years since they started drilling.

Like I said, I'm all for the drilling, but its not as safe as it can be. And i dont think it ever will.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 23:29

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com