Susky and the muck...

wgmiller

wgmiller

Excellent articles in today's York Daily Record on the sediment issues plaguing the Susquehanna and eventually the Chesapeake:

http://www.inyork.com/ci_13326727?IADID=Search-www.inyork.com-www.inyork.com

http://www.inyork.com/ci_13324764?IADID=Search-www.inyork.com-www.inyork.com

http://www.inyork.com/ci_13324749?IADID=Search-www.inyork.com-www.inyork.com

http://www.inyork.com/ci_13316863?IADID=Search-www.inyork.com-www.inyork.com

The one article mentions the research being done at Franklin & Marshall College on "Legacy Sediments". I was fortunate enough to spend several years conducting research with Merritts and Walter. Several years ago, they were able to use very conservative estimates and show that theoretically all of the sediment coming from the Conestoga River Watershed comes from the stream banks. There is a lot of stream bank sediment that accumulates in the stream and takes years to be washed into the Susquehanna River. Certainly this is not the only source of sediment going into the River and Bay; however, conservative estimates are that stream bank erosion accounts for 70-80% of the total sediment load (at least from Lancaster and York Counties where much of the sediment comes from). This information has been available for several years now, but most floodplain "restoration" projects neglect to use this science during the planning stages. The major hinderance is the substantial cost of removing the sediment. Natural Stream Channel Design only puts a bandage on the problem, and unfortunately I have seen it fail in many places and subsequent improvement projects have been done over existing restoration sites. The cost of removing "Legacy Sediment" is great, but what most people do not realize is that Pennsylvania is going to be fined upwards of $15 billion within the next two decades if we do not significantly reduce our sediment load to the Chesapeake Bay. The original date was supposed to be in 2015, but I believe it has been pushed back. We might as well use those billions of dollars to fix our problem rather than wash it down stream with the sediment. Pay now or pay later. At least if we pay now we will get something in return.

Did a lot of scouting for deer season last week in central Pa. Had not hunted much the last two years so I hadn't gotten around Union, Center, and Snyder counties much lately. I noticed two things that I think add to the problem. Lot's of new pig and chicken farms. Much more corn planted than years ago. Almost no grain. I think the sediment runoff from a corn field is higher than other crops. In Union county I only saw corn, soybeans, and alfalfa. Not a single grain field.

crs,

right on man! Fix it now and lets getting something for our buck.

Living next to the Susky, sediment is exactly what I notice. We get some thunderstorms upstate and the water barely rises but turns chocalate. Admittedly we had a wet summer but the susky never got "clear" once that I saw this year.

Franklin: I'm no farmer, but in my experience, I don't see grain fields in PA until after the corn and soybeans have been harvested and the winter wheat/barley has been planted. The grain will be harvested next June and then the grain fields will be planted to soybeans or alfalfa. That seems to be the typical crop rotation (at least in SE PA). Sediment loads from corn fields can be high, but probably no higher than a winter wheat field during a late winter thaw. Sediment pollution and agriculture just go hand in hand especially if BMP's are not used. Livestock grazing land is no doubt more reponsible for ag sedimentation than is cropland. It seems to me that concentrated pig and chicken operations have their own sets of water pollution issues related only indirectly to crop production. Uncontrolled waste management and direct stormwater and production related runoff are the issues there.

No till farming is the main reason for sedimentary run off. The no till fields are like concrete. Fertilizers, manure, pesticides etc. all get washed off the top surface. A field that is turned over in the fall will not cause as much run off... the precipitation will seep into the field.

Back