Stream bed residue--Kettle Creek tributaries

T

tomlace

While turkey hunting last week I came across white residue on the rocks of two "dry hollow" tribs in the Kettle Creek drainage. I've hiked these hollows for decades and this is a first. These hollows run during spring run-off, but are otherwise dry save the occasional spring seep. I have rock samples, still pictures, and video. Attached is one of the stills. I don't know who to approach with my data and questions. Ideas and/or advice?

The pics didn't come up on my computer. But, I'd advise you to get ahold of your waterways conservation officer.

These are the phone numbers listed for reporting water pollution in the PFBC regs booklet.

PFBC NCPA Law Enforcement 814-359-5250

DEP 1-800-541-2050

They are constantly doing AMD reclamation on that watershed. Could it be a liming project for expected spring rains.

Trout Unlimited has a guy who has been assigned to the position , i can't remember the name of the title . of dealing with members and non-members concerns when they observe something they think is wrong or related somehow to the Marcellus issue. TU has a toll free number , i'd call it and find out how to get the issue on Kettle Creek looked at. If you are not a member , you should be , but anyhow i am a member and it's been awhile since i fished Kettle but if you have trouble getting attention PM me and i'll get my big mouth on the phone,

Most likely the dried coating of diatoms. Think "white cliffs of Dover."
Frequently happens in the lower free flowing part of the Delaware. Not pollution.

Thanks for the prompt answers. I've been away from this site for a week. I plan to call some of the numbers provided. Most of the sporadic flow in these hollows come from a full water table "bubbling over" so I am worried about the implications of this. The fracking pressure in this area is quite evident.

How does Fracking pressure reveal it self to be evident?

Caveman...........go to you tube and check out some of the video that shows methane gas bubbling up out of streams , ponds , lakes and even the ocean.

On my many trips to kettle creek over the years, I always go up through westport, at the creeks mouth, and drive upsteam. About half way up to the dam, there is a sizable trib, called two mile run I believe. It always ran very orange from AMD, and pretty much killed kettle creek from that point down.
I know there were efforts to clean up that discharge.
Does it still have that rotten orange color now?

DCNR, and DEP, DCNR if it's on State Forest Land, The game Commission if it's on an SGL. If they are AMD streams they may be getting treated now and weren't before, the whiteist stuff on rocks could be precipitate from getting treatment.

With the low water this year the diatoms are pretty heavy and I have heard complaints of white residue from streams all over. In one sense they are native and normal. However, their growth can be spurred by phosphorus and a excessive amount of the white diatom residue can be a sign of a high phosphorus load. Lawn fertilizer run-off, sewage treatment plant effluent, and goose crap are big contributors to phosphorus loads on the streams I am most familiar with.

osprey wrote:
Trout Unlimited has a guy who has been assigned to the position
The "guy" is Amy Wolfe who is the project coordinator for Kettle Creek Watershed Association and is the Director of the Eastern Abandonded Mine Program for TU.

awolfe@tu.org

gutcutter wrote:
osprey wrote:
Trout Unlimited has a guy who has been assigned to the position
The "guy" is Amy Wolfe who is the project coordinator for Kettle Creek Watershed Association and is the Director of the Eastern Abandonded Mine Program for TU.

awolfe@tu.org

Osprey is probably talking about Mitch Blake the PA TU Marcellus Shale Coordinator (mblake@tu.org or 814.977.0007). Having said that, the concerned party of the original post should likely contact Amy regarding issues with Kettle Creek.

The roads were running with white stuff after a rain on Wednesday. and it wasn't salt. got some pics and movies and no one seems concerned as is the case up here..

sandfly wrote:
The roads were running with white stuff after a rain on Wednesday. and it wasn't salt. got some pics and movies and no one seems concerned as is the case up here..

Why don't you put them up here? Who did you contact?

Know any Waterdogs?
http://www.thedownstreamproject.org/2012/07/26/our-eyes-on-fracking-featuring-the-waterdogs/

http://www.pinecreekwatershedrcp.org/pchpg.htm

The white residue on the stream rocks is most likely due to mineral precipitation from evaporating water. I see it all the time. I am not sure if DEP or any watershed group has a passive treatment system on the AMD in the Kettle Creek watershed. I can find out if someone is still interested.

The white residue on the stream rocks is most likely due to mineral precipitation from evaporating water. I see it all the time. I am not sure if DEP or any watershed group has a passive treatment system on the AMD in the Kettle Creek watershed. I can find out if someone is still interested.

It could me precipitation on rocks below where the streams are being treated for amd.

Back