Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: State Park Closings?

That lake caused thermal pollution of Poe Creek. If they don't rebuild I think that would be good stream restoration and conservation.

I don't expect that result though. We went through this with Lyman Run dam. The effects of these projects on streams are not high on the list of priorities.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 10:53

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Since the lake was drained, Big Poe Creek looked awfully silty too up near the old dam, at least from the road. Can anyone confirm?

I don't care so much about the campground, would like to see that stay open. But I wouldn't mind the lake staying drained, but as troutbert said, it would require some work to fix up right.

Big Poe could be a heck of a little wild trout stream, and a nice alternative to Penns.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 11:41

From SE PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
That lake caused thermal pollution of Poe Creek. If they don't rebuild I think that would be good stream restoration and conservation.

I don't expect that result though. We went through this with Lyman Run dam. The effects of these projects on streams are not high on the list of priorities.

I'm trying to remember any state park where conservation of a wild trout stream gets any priority. Off hand can't think of any.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 11:57

From Monessen, PA
Despite all the complaints of crowds on streams, the majority of anglers fish lakes, plus other recreational interest can be accomodated. I prefer to fish streams myself, but it bugs the heck out of me when people speak as if all flowing water must be preserved for the trout angler. There are so many trout waters in that area, it would earn a lot of Karma to just allow a lake or two to exist for the other 90% of license buyers.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 19:43

From SE PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Despite all the complaints of crowds on streams, the majority of anglers fish lakes, plus other recreational interest can be accomodated. I prefer to fish streams myself, but it bugs the heck out of me when people speak as if all flowing water must be preserved for the trout angler. There are so many trout waters in that area, it would earn a lot of Karma to just allow a lake or two to exist for the other 90% of license buyers.

I own a fishing boat and have enjoyed many lakes in state parks. I appreciate the recreational value of lakes. The lake on Poe Paddy is a contributer to the warming on the lower narrows section of Penns. It probably shouldn't be there. Take R. B. Winter State Park. It has a small lake that stays cold and actually holds some trout all year. This one compliments it's environment and doesn't trade off downstream water quality.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 8:00

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Two things: The Lake at Big Poe does hold trout year round as well. And second, almost all lakes hold fish year round, maybe not trout, but fish nonetheless. I realize this is a trout centric board, but a trout is not more valuable than a bass, in the big picture. So its a manmade fishery? Yeah, well so is every bottom release dam.

Yes, it has recreational value, as do pretty much all lakes.
Yes, it contributes to thermal issues in the stream below, as well as Penns.

What it comes down to is that I'm a trout fishermen, especially a stream based wild trout fishermen, so I'd like to see the dam go. But I do recognize my own biases. As far as parks closing, again, I don't like to see it happening because parks offer a lot outside of fishing. But for fishing, it might actually improve matters.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 8:37

From Dallastown, PA
Thats just the DCNR being the DCUR (Department of Compromise and UNnatural Resources)

If money is tight, the first practical thing to occur should be the elimination of lakes on state parks where wild trout opportunities are available.

Its just like the stocking mantra for the PF&BC. When you can't afford to stock everything, you should cut where the fishing can be provided through not stocking first.

Same with the Dams....if the dam needs repaired, drain the lake, restore the stream and put the money into some other park.

There will be cases where due to geographical location they NEED a lake in a county or region because of the limited number of recreational opportunities but I believe they could make some better choices. But all in all, we in the State of PA have some excellent, well rounded outdoor opportunities. It shouldn't be a shock to have them make practical decisions by closing a lake in need of repair and let it go wild....but likely they'd spend the money there due to political pressure from the legislature through constituancy. Which we as a fly fishing, cold water loving voting public are.

Beware of the mole who tries to compromise your principles and YOUR values for the good of the masses. Otherwise the masses will always win.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 9:16

Maybe we should just put all the wild trout streams in pipes and bury them. Rather than catering to the special interests of flyfishers.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 11:36

From Monessen, PA
If Pennsylvania had too few wild trout streams, then your reductio ad absurdum argument might have some force.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 11:56

From Dallastown, PA
And if all fly fishers/conservationists felt like you Jack, that force would be there....but they don't thank goodness....I bet if wild trout streams were ice cubes you would feel differently. I guess in a weird twisted sort of way you are a cold water conservationist. Well frozen anyway.

Bottom line is you have nothing invested in wild trout except the gas to get there so it is not surprising how you feel about the resource you exploit with no return.

To you wild trout streams are alot like kleenexes that can be tossed away after their uses....or used until no good anymore and then move onto another.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 12:18

From Chester County
Quote:

JackM wrote:
If Pennsylvania had too few wild trout streams, then your reductio ad absurdum argument might have some force.

reductio ad absurdum

Main Entry:re·duc·tio ad ab·sur·dum
Pronunciation:\ri-ˈdək-tē-ˌō-ˌad-əb-ˈsər-dəm, -ˈdək-sē-ō-, -shē-, -ˈzər-\
Function:noun
Etymology:Late Latin, literally, reduction to the absurd
Date:1741
1 : disproof of a proposition by showing an absurdity to which it leads when carried to its logical conclusion
2 : the carrying of something to an absurd extreme

Jack, PA has way too few trout streams based on its history. We lose wild trout streams or they are diminished each and every year through development and commerial exploitation. They are to be treaured and protected for us today, and for all future generations.....IMHO. Your post has reacatido MY absurdeum...I need a Tums!

Posted on: 2009/6/2 12:59

From Monessen, PA
I only have two things to say to my detractors:

1. You are spoiled; and
2. You disregard the recreational interests of everyone who doesn't share your brand of recreation.

OK, three, though it is more of the same:

You probably make a big stink about kayakers/rafters on the streams you fish as well.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 13:22

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:

1. You are spoiled; and
2. You disregard the recreational interests of everyone who doesn't share your brand of recreation.

You probably make a big stink about kayakers/rafters on the streams you fish as well.

I don't , but I wish they would become vested. I also don't resent folks who harvest trout legally and also do not resent people who fish bait where allowed. However, anyone of those who exploit the resource without respect for it by disobeying laws or discounting its value will cause me to arise and speak my mind. Especially if they have no clue as to the effort it took or takes to allow them to enjoy themselves through no effort of their own.

Perhaps next time you should share your ice unselfishly to whomever should like to enjoy it. Even those who wish to use it for boiled water.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 13:30

From Chester County
Quote:

JackM wrote:

1. You are spoiled; and

Number 1 is a matter of opinion, but reductio ad absurdum to #2. Since theme parks and amusement parks are much more popular than plain old State or Federal Parks for recreation, why not pave over them, set up the roller coasters, and put water slides on the rivers! That makes as much sense as your point #2.

The point is whether you fish cold-water, warmwater, in lakes or streams, hunt, hike, bike, bird watch, kayak, whatever, we should all strive to preserve what we have in the most natural state possible. Mother nature gave it to us, and its our job to try to preserve and protect it.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 13:36

From Monessen, PA
90% of the thousands of quality wild trout stream miles Pennsylvania has need no help from anyone other than to be respected. Poe Valley Lake isn't a new proposal to dam waters that have been free-flowing for years. It has been around a long time and while it certainly has some impact on lower Penns, it does not and has not had a significant enough impact to ruin the wild trout fishing downstream. On the other hand, it has provided untold hours of recreation for uncountable numbers of locals and tourists who are warm-water anglers, boaters and swimmers.

The thousands of fly anglers tromping about on Penns Creek these past few days and the few more to come probably do as much damage to the watershed and it's surroundings as the lake ever did. If not, then certainly it has when we add in the other 200 days a year it is assaulted by wading anglers. Have you stopped to consider the impact your 98.6 degree body temperature has while standing thigh deep for hours on end?

Posted on: 2009/6/2 13:42

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
146 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com