Spring Creek biologist report

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

im clapping!

the report

very good report a bit early to tell whats going to happen but its gonna be positive!

thanks sal!

Notice the "cropping" at about 12-14 inches? :p

yep the stream shouldnt be under TT regs(which it isnt)....neither should monocacy(which it is). They should just be C&R ;-)

A few points, from someone who lives very close to this site and who has fished it regularly since 1987.

Look at the actual numbers of trout (diagram 2). The numbers are nearly identical in 2007 and 2008.

They only sampled 500 feet, slightly less than 1/10 mile. In most surveys, they survey around 300 meters, or 984 feet. The habitat has been significantly changed over about 1 mile of the stream. Sampling 1/10 mile doesn't tell you much.

They sampled the "flats" behind the dam, which was the poorest habitat area in the stretch influenced by the dam. They did not survey the plunge pools below the dam, or the deep pool at the bend upstream near the gas station. These were the two areas with prime holding water in the stretch affected by the dam removal. These areas held very large numbers of fish, including some larger ones, and these were the two areas most popular with fishermen.

The plunge pools below the dam were eliminated. The bend pools are still there but greatly diminished. It used to be about 5 feet deep there at the deepest point, now it is about 2 feet deep at the deepest point. The pools are also greatly reduced in area, and the gradient is much swifter. What were formerly pools at the bend are becoming more like "pocketwater" as the gradient has increased through headcutting (nick-point migration) because of the removal of grade control.

The habitat structures they have planned for this summer may improve the situation somewhat. Lets hope so. Right now the stretch is mainly steep, swift pocket water, without significant pool habitat.

In the introduction it says that the dam impacted water temperatures, but no data is given. There have been a lot of press releases, articles etc. that have claimed temperature impacts from the dam, but no water temp data has ever been given. If they have the data, they should publish it. If not, they shouldn't make that claim.

I can understand what you are saying about whether their data is selective and their conclusions perhaps misleading, but the question remains whether we can be satisfied with a stream in a more natural condition or whether in order to enhance our fishing, we will expend time and energy constantly trying to tinker only to have Mother Nature let us know once again who is boss? I don't know all the reasons the dam was removed, but I would think more than angling interests were given consideration.

Intuitively one would assume that it did warm up the water. Did'nt seem like much cover in that area to shade the water either.

I did fish below the dam area after it was removed- lots of sediment where there was none prior. Hopefully some rains will have more even distributed the sediment.

The healing as far as sediment etc. will come with time , take a look at Big Spring Creek since they closed the hatchery the gook has been dissapearing a little farther downstream each year. The Stonycreek river in somerset and cambria county is another prime example of how mother nature will take back what is hers........in time.

In our temperature studies of PErkiomen Creek using thermographs we found that temperatures from the old dams did not rise significantly at 5 of the 6 dams we surveyed. So temperature if it was a reason may not have been an issue at all on Spring Creek. The reason we believe that the temperatures were not significantly different was the speed of flow of the water through the dammed area and the amount of sediment behind the dam kept the water temps down.

If there is anyone reading this who is deeply interested in trout stream habitat, fluvial geomorphology, etc., and would like a detailed tour of this dam removal site and one further downstream at the West Penn Power dam site, along with some rather complicated observations and theories about small dam removals and stream/floodplain habitats and functions etc., let me know via PM, and I would be happy to meet with you there.

I'm willing to do this for people who are serious about these topics. Perhaps people in the govt. agencies, in academia, non-profit conservation groups etc. who may be in a position to influence future decisions regarding stream restoration, small dam removals etc. There are some important things that should be known, that are not commonly known, regarding these types of projects. The situation is much more complex than is generally understood. The commonly accepted paradigm regarding these small dams removals is getting things wrong in many cases and causing significant damage that could be easily avoided.

Troutbert,

I would say that many on this board have an interest in this subject, but are unwilling or unable to sort through the technical info and jargon. Would it be possible to give us a summary of your findings, observations, and theories in layman's terms? Thanks.

afishinado wrote:
Troutbert,

I would say that many on this board have an interest in this subject, but are unwilling or unable to sort through the technical info and jargon. Would it be possible to give us a summary of your findings, observations, and theories in layman's terms? Thanks.

No. You really have to visit the sites. And you have to be willing to spend a fair amount of time both observing things in the field, and in going over the concepts. It's not possible to give a simple explanation because it's not a simple subject.

My offer stands. If you are involved in stream conservation/restoration work and/or are studying these fields, let me know, and I'll meet you out on the site, and we'll take a couple hours and go over it.

If you are interested send me a PM and we can arrange a time. If there is more than one person interested hopefully we could meet on the same day.

Back