Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Should we trust the DEP?
From Monessen, PA
So to clarify, Franklin, do you think the angst about MS drilling is much ado about nothing?

Posted on: 2012/5/2 9:44

From SE PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
So to clarify, Franklin, do you think the angst about MS drilling is much ado about nothing?

Would you think someone who recommends water testing and installation of filters has no concerns?

Posted on: 2012/5/2 11:08

From harlansburg
I feel it is the responsibility of the drilling companies to test water, it should not be the responsiblility of the landowner. I have a rig sitting 1 mile north of me as I type this. no offer from them to test anyone's water immediately around me. the new law as I read it lets drilling companies off the hook for water testing, maybe PCRAY can chime in regarding that. the only water wells that I know have been tested have been for those that have signed leases, so if you don't have a lease, I guess your screwed. I have sent out samples at my own expense, although it was probably a waste of time and money, if something goes wrong, you just can't battle the giant. I feel bad for those folks that are left with worthless property, I personnally know some of them, they are screwed. the DEP has failed them, the state has failed them. their only hope is to get the EPA involved, but then the state whines and complains about their toes being stepped on. well guess what, if you protected your own F#*KING people instead of the gas industry, we wouldn't have to call in the feds. only a matter of time till the feds fail them also, I;'m sure they are getting paid off as we speak.
if I were them, I'd sue everyone and anyone I could, if not to win, at least to cause great inconvenience. the squeaky wheel gets the grease ya know.
but, like Jack said, probably much ado about nothing, just pay your taxes and shut the F up, and quit worrying about some mud in your previously clean water, there's money to be made dammit!

Posted on: 2012/5/2 11:13

From SE PA
I have no problem with drilling fees that are directly tied to local impacts of drilling. Water testing if done correctly would be one. Water testing requires test samples prior to drilling and performed by a trusted test entity. Likewise testing after drilling is also needed. In addition some party has to evaluate prior/post samples and make judgments on changes. Who would that trusted entity be? IMHO it should be the DEP. With all the politics involved do people have that level of trust in the DEP?

There would be more details to work out regarding such an effort. How often is water tested after drilling? Once? Every year? At the sale of a property? Is testing mandatory? Voluntary?t

On top of that add all the political parasites that want to sandbag such an effort with other non-relevant items they think they can push through. Or the impossible hurdles that will be proposed by those who want the total cessation of all fossil fuels. Any wonder why even a reputable drilling company would resist?

Posted on: 2012/5/2 11:46

From harlansburg
exactly. it should be the DEP, but I don't trust them anymore now that their boss is basically a pon for the gas industry. he may be honest and worthwhile, but I just don't trust him, and I'm not alone.
the DEP should be run by someone with environmental knowledge and have no bias one way to the other, not someone directly related to the gas/mining industry. it was said before in this forum, the fox watching the hen house.
They are there to protect us and the environment that is called pennsylvania, and ensure it's future for coming generations.
I just can't believe how lightly some folks take this, until it's their well spitting out mud and crap.

Posted on: 2012/5/2 17:46

From SWPA
There is a presumption of guilt for the drilling companies. That is, if a water well is affected they are presumed guilty until they prove they did not affect the water well. Under the old law they were presumed guilty out to 1000'. Under Act 13 the distance they are presumed guilty is now 2500'! And most of the larger more reputable companies are testing water wells out to 3000'
In my experience, few water wells are actually ruined by drilling and the few that are are repaired or replaced by the company. Most of these high profile issues are not caused by drilling but are longstanding issues that were there prior to drilling.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 4:50

From harlansburg
yep, must be coincidence. good water for past 30 years, then full of crap after hole punched in ground down the road. these people are not making this up. some of them have lived in the area all their lives with good water coming from their wells.
good to hear the radius for testing and liability has increased.
the general thought about the industry in my area has really changed in the past few years. at first, lots of people were excited, seeing big $$$. Now they aren't so excited. I know some folks with rather large chunks of land, 100+ acres, most I thought would be anxious to sign leases, then finding out they didn't sign, saying they just didn't feel comfortable with the whole thing. it's good to see that people realize money isn't everything.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 7:20

From harlansburg
sorry, I'm grumpy and in my "I hate the gas industry" state of mind.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 8:34

From Johnstown, PA
It's OK biker , you are NOT alone, just look at what the coal companies did , going on a hundred years ago and there are still problems on a regular basis , the same type of things will happen with the Gas companies. One thing i can add is that at the farm where my cabin is in Bedford county they take water samples every year to a county level organization who does the testing for free , i'll do some asking around to find out who that org is and perhaps the same thing exists where your well and your friends wells are. It seems to me it may have been the county conservation district office can't remember for sure but i will find out and get back 2 u.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 9:01

From Berks County
I've heard the arguement before that drilling doesn't ruin wells. It's the fracking - the pumping of millions of gallons of chemical-laced water at extreme pressure that causes the problems. If the gas companies 'ruin' one well, their process is at fault and needs to be changed or they need to be shut down. Repeat offenders should have their licenses seized after they get out of jail.

And anyone having their water tested voluntarily and paying for it out of pocket, make sure the analysis is completed by a lab certified by PADEP or your results won't mean much to them.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 22:24

From SWPA
Hydraulic fracturing DOES NOT affect water wells. Drilling the top portion of any gas well, whether it be a shallow conventional well, or a deeper horizontal unconventional gas well, MAY affect a water well while drilling through the aquifer. Although this is generally a turbidity issue.
IF, and this is a big if, there is some sort of surface spill and the spill gets down the back side of the gas well casing before cementing of that casing then MAYBE it can affect a VERY CLOSE water well. But once again, this does not happen very often at all. Especially now, with all of the preferred practices that are being used.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 4:38

From harlansburg
keep drinking the kool-aid, you'll be ok.
it does affect water wells, when there are casing failures, and there HAVE been casing failures.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 6:54

From Chester County
Check this accident out:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scien ... t-what-went-wrong-5598621

And this happened the day before at another well in Bradford County:

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2 ... -natural-gas-bp-executive

Posted on: 2012/5/4 9:28

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Pretty sure those two articles are referring to the same incident.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 9:48

From Chester County
Quote:

JasonS wrote:
Pretty sure those two articles are referring to the same incident.

Yup, checked it out - same place same incident. Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 10:12

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com