Rock Snot Discovered in the Yough

albud1962

albud1962

Krissy Kasserman
Youghiogheny Riverkeeper
yrk@mtwatershed.com

We've received the following notice from the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection about the recent discovery of the aquatic invasive plant species Didymo (commonly known as "rock snot") in the Youghiogheny River. Please forward this along to others, and read on for precautions you can use to help curb the spread of Didymo to other area waterways. Thank you!

Didymo has now been confirmed in the Youghiogheny River in Ohiopyle State Park near Ohiopyle, PA. A single sample was taken in the Youghiogheny River in Ohiopyle State Park near some large boulders with tufts of Didymo growing at moderate length. The sample was taken by Erik L. Silldorff, PhD, an Aquatic Biologist. On Friday, June 1st, The Academy of Natural Sciences verified the identification of the sample submitted by Dr. Silldorff. Dr. Silldorff noted, “there was plenty of Didymo on the rocks so I had no trouble finding material to collect, and my sample was filled with nice, healthy, living Didymo. So, in terms of a risk of spread, I would say the Youghiogheny is now a potential launching pad, especially with the combined traffic of whitewater enthusiasts and trout anglers.” According to the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission, Didymo, "can smother entire stream beds with mats as thick as eight inches and can ruin just about any river or creek." Additional information can be found here: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/water/habitat/ans/
didymo/faq_didymo.htm

As you know, the Ohiopyle area is heavily used for recreation. All users of the river should take extra precaution to clean all equipment used in the Youghiogheny before entering other waterbodies. Didymo is a diatom that causes severe degradation of stream habitat in some places. It can be spread by moving just a small amount – maybe even just a cell or two. Take extra care in cleaning boats, gear, equipment before transporting to another waterbody! Gear can be disinfected by using a 10% household bleach and 90% water solution or a strong salt solution (minimally, use at least a true 5% salt solution). Allow either solution to remain in contact with equipment for at least 10 minutes! Either solution can be harsh on gear and equipment so be sure to rinse everything with plenty of water after disinfecting. Take extra care to properly disinfect porous materials such as nets, ropes, cloth items, water shoes, and especially felt-soled waders and wading shoes!

Thanks for post. I fish the Yough watershed (the Yough itself & Laurel Hill Creek). They are the only pieces of water i fish. I know it sounds boring but they are only about 1 hour from home and I enjoy both very much. I always clean my gear after each trip so at least your can't blame me. If it was brought to this watershed by a careless angler, I just don't know what to say. Even with the price of gasoline, there are some folk that like to hopscotch around to different waters. By the way, which watershed, nearest the Yough, has the rock snot problem?

Dang. It was probably only a matter of time.

Hendy,
Didymo is in the Savage and North Branch Potomac Rivers. It would not surprise me if it's in the upper Yough in MD below Deep Creek Lake as well. Anyway, these streams aren't far away and the snot may have (I would emphasize may) have come from there.

Thanks Fishidiot for the info. I like how you "emphasized may".
That's why I said "if" a careless angler brought it to the Yough.
Thanks again.

Well, there you go. That substantially increases the possibility that the felts issue will become a statewide issue at some point in time. Not taking a position on it, but just saying what I am feeling in my gut.

Not good news. But lets be realistic.Iit is just as likely that rock snot moves into new bodies of water by migratory birds than it is by felt soled waders. Plus, anyone who fishes the yough regularly knows that there is a tremendous amount of algae up by the dam. It was so bad in the early spring, that coupled with low water releases it was next to impossible to fish nymphs or a dropper without constantly picking the slime off of your fly.

Sad indeed. The colder tailwater fisheries seem to be the most vulnerable to didymo.

I agree with Mike's prediction about a proposal to ban of felt soles in PA sometime in the future. It may or may not help, but it at least gives the angling public some awareness about the problem.

I talk to anglers every day, and many have no knowledge of the didymo problem. Some don't even seem to care about what's happening, or just blame it on mother nature, and they aren't willing to do anything at all to help prevent the spread of evasives. :-(

afishinado wrote:
Sad indeed. The colder tailwater fisheries seem to be the most vulnerable to didymo.

I agree with Mike's prediction about a proposal to ban of felt soles in PA sometime in the future. It may or may not help, but it at least gives the angling public some awareness about the problem.

I talk to anglers every day, and many have no knowledge of the didymo problem. Some don't even seem to care about what's happening, or just blame it on mother nature, and they aren't willing to do anything at all to help prevent the spread of evasives. :-(

Well if its anything like the Susky they will wait until total destruction before acting.

I recall a post a couple years ago I believe by Mike that the then current position was that the PF&BC had no intentions of banning felts.

Wonder when it will hit the Codorus?

Maurice wrote:
afishinado wrote:

Well if its anything like the Susky they will wait until total destruction before acting.

I recall a post a couple years ago I believe by Mike that the then current position was that the PF&BC had no intentions of banning felts.

True indeed. At that time didymo was only found in a few miles on the Upper Delaware along the NY border. In the last few months it has been discovered all the way down to Dingmans Ferry (approx. half of the D River as it borders PA) and now in western PA in the Yok. I would bet a proposal for a felt ban is discussed in the PA House or Senate in the very near future.

I talk to anglers every day, and many have no knowledge of the didymo problem. Some don't even seem to care about what's happening, or just blame it on mother nature, and they aren't willing to do anything at all to help prevent the spread of evasives.

This is why a ban IMO is not a bad idea. Awareness to those that are ignorant to the problem and may help curb those that seem not to care.

I hope this junk never reaches the CV limestoners. They have enough junk in the water already ;-)

Maurice wrote:

This has actually kept me up at night a time or to.

It's the biggest fear for Codorus TU. We are actually going to be constructing wader wash stations for placement at the parking areas. Our hope is that anglers will wash their boots prior to entering the stream. I only hope we can get them installed before it's too late. A bonus to their placement would be educating other fishermen who are unaware of the didymo problem. We already have placed several different types of signs with information about it and how to reduce its spread. Unfortunately, I believe most just walk by them without reading.

That's too bad. And the last thing that river - with hatches that have always been very sparse - needs.

Those of us that fish it will have to be diligent in cleaning our wading boots now.

I woner when the state or fed will finally step up and try to do something about it other than tell people to clean boots...

This stuff is in enough places now that its time for a real plan of action to combat it. I am not a scientist so i have no idea what would be involved but its time for the people who do have the knowledge to start working on a solution

i know for a fact that in Maine where i fish , a website under the direction of Kevin McKay guide/website forum owner actually has taken it a step further they have boot stations set up that you take the cover off an step into for a few seconds there is light bristled brush with a chain attached too to wash ypour woots real good also you can dunk your waders too, theres stuff in there that kills the didymo on contact wash before you get in wash when you get out.
He ought to get a conservation medal for that.
There is also clearly identifiable pictures of the stuff an instructions on how to clean yer gear properly.

This stuff sucks for all, but especially for people like Alby, Jack, and Ryguy.....what a blow. Trout streams just arent around every corner out there.
Felts will surely be banned now as they should have been. Also carpets on the guiding posts of boat trailers would be a good idea.
Anything that can absorb and hold this stuff.

There is no solution beyond somehow poisoning it (which would likely poison everything else too).

Likewise, a felt ban will almost certainly not stop the spread. It may slow the spread, which would be looked at as a victory. But since it's not only felts that spread it, but also natural forces like birds, it is almost certain that virtually every waterway will be exposed to it eventually.

How soon, and how much impact will it have are open questions.

Anything that can absorb and hold this stuff.

Shoelaces, leather, dubbing on flies, carpeted boats, and the list goes on. :(

Does the Youg have frack withdrawals? Wonder what the regs are for clean freshwater trucks that frequent multiple bodies of water? None probably. Kayakers probably contribute to the spread more than fisherman. They will hop from stream to stream to river to river, in higher water flow periods to run pieces of water that are generally not viable. Sometimes this will happen the same day.

Back