Piping through amish land

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Yep

The disturbing part is that the river hills is a pristine area enjoyed by many many people. Tucquan glen is used by hikers, bird watchers and yes even fisherman. The area is a sensitive environmental area that would be highly disturbed by such practices.

The worst part is:

Williams plans to file an application before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission next month. The current schedule has construction of the pipeline to begin in the summer of 2016. After the filing is made, there will be public meetings by FERC for affected landowners and the public to comment. A FERC approval of the project would carry the right of eminent domain.

Conservancy land is only good if it protects something. I'm losing my faith in the system and humanity. Money money money.

Money!

Think it can be stopped?

FERC

FERC is an independent regulatory agency within the United States Department of Energy. Neither the President nor Congress reviews FERC decisions. All FERC decisions are reviewable by the federal courts. FERC is also self-funding. The Commission pays for itself by recovering costs directly from the industries it regulates through annual charges and fees.

Unlikely. Just more conflicts of interest in the name of progress...erm I mean money!

It's not much but I did find a wild Brookie stream 2 miles from lawn not on the nrl. I'll be reporting it tomorrow. I hope it delays or stops their plans. I'd effing love it.

When did you find it? Is it a trib to Conewago? I ask because Conewago is the border between two Fisheries management regions.

be happy that pipelines are all you have to deal with. living amongst the wells sucks big time. roads are a constant muddy mess, truck traffic is dizzying, noise, etc.
yep, it's great all around. money money money.
remember when they told us "you'll never know we are here" !!!
hahahahaha!!!!

I generally have no beef with pipelines, but as Sal said, this is a sensitive area. What is the point of having a nature preserve if they can just go and build a pipeline through it?

The other thing is, from the article on Lancaster Online, it says none of the gas going through the pipeline is even staying in PA.

Currently we have been talking with lancaster county conservancy and they are scrambling to get a petition going after talking to us. We can't believe they didn't start yet .

Williams filed their application with the ferc already, a month early.

I believe me and my gf are going to set up 3 sit ins down at the glen and try to get as many people there as possible. We want it to get media exposure. At the very least it might open peoples eyes here locally.

This is a fight likely lost but damn it, I want our kids to see you fight and try even if your going to lose. To don't just roll over and give up.
I'm all for getting gas, but I'm not for taking public lands in sensitive areas to do it.

At what point are we going to wake up and stop letting these corporations and agencies roll all over us?
I know I'm done now

Pipe it through the Amish farms. Seriously. It's a viable option, I'm sure they'll gladly go along with it for the right price, and no government need to rob people of their private property.

To think the gas companies sold this whole tracking idea on the powers that be and told them there'd be responsible management and light environmental impact. NOT! The idea that the gas would be available for Americans, was way oversold, most of it will be sold overseas, this doesn't surprise me.

all pa gas will go to the gulf of mexico and on to china, whatever happed to energy independence

All Pa. gas will most certainly NOT go to The Gulf and onto China...irresponsible statement if it was serious Sandfly.

Dominion wants to build a gas export facility in MD. Gee all these pipelines seem to be heading that way don't they? The US will never see this gas.

Thank God Governor Corbett imposed an extraction tax like all the other states to aid our infrastructure and education. OOPS, he didn't! Travel to NCPA and look at the vehicle license tags. Most not PA. Touted that soo many jobs would be brought in. I talked to workers on several occasions. Ain't from PA.

ALSO check who bidded on the extraction, and who won.

Looks to me as though there is an existing power line right-of-way at the parking area. An article discussing the entire project suggested that the pipelines would follow the existing power line in some areas. Have you checked that out in this specific case? If that is the plan, then it sounds like a reasonable approach.

The issue with gas is not a tax issue.We have the 2nd highest corporate income tax in the Union, an impact fee (which is better because it keeps fees from gas companies going to what it's supposed to, keeping it from subsidizing other government pet projects), and we have a capital stock and foreign franchise tax. So while we don't have an extraction tax, between the corporate income tax, the CS&FF tax, and the impact fee, we are getting plenty of income from them. Other states have extraction taxes, some do not have the corporate income tax, others do not have a capital stock tax, and if my memory serves correcly, no other "gas state" has both of them AND the extraction tax.

Some of you guys really need to get your facts straight. There is Marcellus gas going right into the distribution system of gas utilities in this State. Long before many of you heard of the Marcellus shale there was gas drilling in PA and local gas being consumed locally.

And long before PA's northern tier forests were flattened and stream systems destroyed in the excessive exploitation of a few species for charcoal, tannin bark, lumber and railroad ties, people used trees to make homes and warm them.

Lancaster county is only 16 percent forest land. Are you suggesting it's ok to cut through the middle of what we have left?

We have impaired air quality. The trees are important.

Pipelines are a mess, as they currently are.

They cut through the geology at the lowest cost option; not at the lowest impact.
They impact every stream and watershed. Each and every stream crossing is a potential future emergency hazard during critical emergency conditions - i.e. floods, earthquakes, etc.
They require, at crossing points, stream banks and bank encroachments to be fairly soil unstabilized, mostly unvegetated and the stream bottom and channel to be relatively lifeless.
They require additional costs and funds to maintain for their relatively short engineering lifespans, especially compared to the environment in which they are placed.

That said, given its flatness of terrain, overall Lancaster County is pretty much a lot better place to place another pipeline rather than say another Amish area further north. But through the conservancy grounds?

RE: to Sal, no not suggesting cutting trees. Was arguing against Mac's suggestion that because we already drilled for gas in the past, this new type and increased boon drilling is the same thing.

Back