Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: PA Mountain lions?

From LV
While I'm a skeptic, I've also heard both first hand and second hand stories of Lions. I don't carry any firearmsin the woods and I do a lot of back country fishing and rarely even see a deer or bear, though there are plenty of them out there. Where I see lots of deer are along roads, same with bear. I wouldn't expect to see a lion near a road but some of the stories I've heard are of lions crossing roads.
Sooner or later we'll know for sure, the most recent account I heard was near our camp, a fireman saw a lion pulling a dead deer across a road near our camp. He called on his radio to the station and the whole fire company got out to the place and found the partially eaten deer but not much else.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 12:02

From Manheim, PA
Question is, if they exist, are they of a heritage strain?

Posted on: 2009/7/2 12:12

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Spectorfly,

I know you're joking, but that is indeed a good question. Eastern, western, or southern ancestry?

Eastern cougars are thought extinct, but a remnant population has always been a legend, and its possible (even probable) that eastern cougars remain in parts of Canada.

The western lions have been moving steadily eastward for some time, they're now verified in Wisconsin, Iowa, and places like that. Not much farther and they'd hit the Appalachians, which is better habitat for them, and they'd spread quickly at that point. Perhaps they already have, and this is the source of the sightings?

And of course there's a known population in Florida. They have many of them tagged, and at least one ventured up to Georgia for a while before returning. Again, thats on the footsteps of the Appalachian chain.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 13:14

From Greensburg, PA
I know guys who claim to have seen them out west. Most didn't get a really good look. Most just saw it for a second or two as it was high tailing it. Tan flash just like a big deer without making any noise. A few said they had seen them from a distance but they said that was close enough for them.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 13:17

From Monessen, PA
I'm probably going to see a cougar in a week or two right here in Washington County-- John Cougar Mallencamp is opening for Bob Dylan at the Wild Things/Consol Park July 13.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 14:39

Quote:

spectorfly wrote:
Question is, if they exist, are they of a heritage strain?

If not, their genetics aren't pure and they have no more conservation value than a Siamese puddy tat.

Same with the PA elk. They're from out west. So they have no more conservation value than a Guernsey cow.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 18:54

From Pgh
Every year a million hunters comb PA terrain. There has never been a confirmed killing of a wild cougar, never a confirmed photograph, never even a confirmed footprint, skat sample, hair sample, etc. They do not exist in PA. They may someday. But until solid proof is found I'd rather believe that the ghost of Isaak Walton is fishing Turtle Creek.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 9:26

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
http://www.easterncougar.org/ Some good facts here...

There does not appear to be good evidence for a breeding population of cougars in PA.

I do believe that the odd escaped/released animal manages to thrive in the wild for a time and generate legitimate sitings.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 14:46

From LV
Recently on the history channel and the Nat. Geo Channel experts anylized data from photos and kills from all over the country. None of the supposed sightings were Mountain Lions. What they said of the Black Cat Theory was that while possible a black Mountain Lion has never been scientifically confirmed, and that the probablity was 1 in a million that one would exist. They never ruled out hybrrids, and feral cats though. These things have become a kind of designer pet in recent years.
If itwere found that Eastern Mountain Lions do exist, it would potentialy change the way the forests are managed.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 19:43

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com