Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Oil Spill in the Gulf.

From Greensburg, PA
The efficacy of the devices is unclear. Major offshore oil-well blowouts are rare, and it remained unclear Wednesday evening whether acoustic switches have ever been put to the test in a real-world accident.

and yeah, I did need it explained. Obviously you are an expert on this and wish to explain things that are no longer relevant. I just want to know what they can do to stop the leak. Complaining about what coulda shoulda woulda been there and figuring out who to blame will not stop the oil from leaking. Feel free to play that game until the oil moves up the gulf stream.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 19:26

From The Beaver
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
The efficacy of the devices is unclear. Major offshore oil-well blowouts are rare, and it remained unclear Wednesday evening whether acoustic switches have ever been put to the test in a real-world accident.

and yeah, I did need it explained. Obviously you are an expert on this and wish to explain things that are no longer relevant. I just want to know what they can do to stop the leak. Complaining about what coulda shoulda woulda been there and figuring out who to blame will not stop the oil from leaking. Feel free to play that game until the oil moves up the gulf stream.

I thought you weren't interested?

They actually have been tested but not at that depth. And again the BP permits were not for drilling in water this deep.

Nice try at saving face. How is thinking that we need to move from being reactive to being proactive irrelevant? You do realize it will happen again and the general public should be aware that there are measures that could stop it.

Also lets face it we aren't going to come up with some brilliant solution here on a flyfishing forum so thinking that you are somehow relevant to solving the problem is delusional. But good luck with that.

However to answer you question of "how will we stop the oil leak," there is currently NO tested method to stop the leak. Packing the hole and the opposing well being drilled at this time are the only answers on the table other than, adding massive amounts of alcohol to the containment vessels being lowered over the pipe to keep hydrates from freezing.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 19:41

From Eastern PA
What I find amazing is the focus on the financial aspect of the event, versus the environmental impact. Congressmen, senators, state legislators are all standing up there touting how all businesses will be reimbursed for their income losses, all damaged property will be paid for, etc however there is very little discussion that I am seeing on the environmental impact. Yes, this is a HUGE man made catastrophe with tons of physical damage and loss of income for businesses and residents of the state, however the environmental toll is very long tail. The good news is that the first claim payment was made on this event. $400 million to Transocean, the owner and operator of this rig that BP was leasing it from! Wow. Cause catastrophic damages to an entire region of the country and be the first to get paid for it! FYI, Transocean bought this rig from Korea in 2001 for $350 million. They insured the rig for $560 million. They have received cash payment of $400 million on a depreciating asset that has been churning out money for almost ten years, for which their basis acquisition cost is $350. Some folks are dipped in gold.

Posted on: 2010/5/26 16:08

From harlansburg
we live in a sad, sad world. those figures are amazing. heads should roll, literally. string em up in the trees, those worthless bastards. make them drink the oil filled sea water.
been over a month now, it's not fixed yet, wildlife and livelyhoods are dying, and all that seems to be happening is finger pointing.
now is the time our government needs to take over, where is the army corp of engineers?? get the bp idiots out of the way now, they had their chance, they failed. get the thing fixed. make other oil companies help out, I'm sure they all have clean-up equipment. if they want to conduct business in this country, they can share in the well being of it. now is not the time to worry about profits. this could turn into a world changing event. stop the bs and start acting.
we can help as well. never, ever, buy bp products again, and also write your congressmen, tell them we need this fixed now.

Posted on: 2010/5/26 16:43

From Eastern PA
[quote]now is the time our government needs to take over, where is the army corp of engineers?? get the bp idiots out of the way now, they had their chance, they failed. get the thing fixed.[quote]

They are afraid to do that as partial liability will pass from from BP to entities performing clean up. BP has accepted responsibility and promised big buck settlements. Everyone is afraid to tell them to get out of the clean up. The problem is that BP is not being very proactive, rather they seem to be taking a position that they will just throw money at the situation.

[quote]make other oil companies help out, I'm sure they all have clean-up equipment.[quote]

I would not want to be held responsible for other parties in my industry. As far as clean up equipment, the oil companies do not own a tremendous amount of clean up equipment as it is too costly for all the companies to keep this inventory on hand. Rather, they out source cleaning to other parties. Proper certification can result in $1,000 per day plus per food, temp housing, etc to sit out on the beach and clean sea shells all day. Of course there is all the documentation to go with those activities, so they spend 15 minutes cleaning a sea shell and 45 minutes documenting it. The folks who are really going to fiscally clean up on this are the forensic accountants and naturally the attorneys. Oh to own some beach front property in the affected areas! Class action suits are forming and filing daily.

Posted on: 2010/5/26 17:45

From harlansburg
total BS!! it's time to quit worrying about liabilities, and save the god damn gulf!!!!
bottom line, there may not be a gulf of mexico to worry about anymore.
time for someone to grow a set and take charge and fix the damn thing, it's out of control. now is not the time to worry about blame, liability or any of that crap, now is the time to save the freakin gulf of mexico.
time to get attorneys out of government and put people in charge that have the balls to do things!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2010/5/26 22:43

From harlansburg
sorry about the rant, but I am passionate about our environment. watching the tv coverage puts me into a rage!
maybe I should just be like the majority of americans and not give a crap until it affects MY backyard.

Posted on: 2010/5/27 6:37

From harlansburg

Posted on: 2010/5/27 17:59

According to Rush it's all the fault of the Sierra Club!

Posted on: 2010/5/28 12:40

From harlansburg
did they sabotage the rig with granola??!!

Posted on: 2010/5/28 14:29

Hi logic is twisted, as always: Eco groups like the Sierra Club "forced" the poor oil companies further and further off shore to the point where drilling was hazardous at best.

It defies reason that this guy has any credibility.

Posted on: 2010/5/28 22:09

From Greensburg, PA

Posted on: 2010/5/31 10:07

From harlansburg
I heard about that. I think at this point anything is worth trying, shouldn't even wait for approval, just do it. screw the idiots in charge, they are failing miserably. time for bureacracy to take a backseat to ACTION!!

Posted on: 2010/5/31 11:48

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I think at this point anything is worth trying.

You do realize it is possible to make this worse, much worse, right? You better be dang sure it's going to work if you try anything that risks making a bigger hole. As it is, the relief well may be months off, but it is sure to work. If you blow that hole open so that it comes from the ground, and not just the pipe, then you might endanger the relief well and have a spill that will go on for decades instead of months.

It's not easy to do things a mile deep. Really, its not. I want something to be done too and am watching this horrible event unfold. But you can't just scream for SOMETHING to be done unless you have a better idea.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 13:27

From harlansburg
I was refering to the clean-up of the thing, sorry for the confusion. I agree the fix for the leak should be done very carefully. but along those lines, I think our government should be present, we have good people in the military and the corp of engineers, get them down there and let them assist.
as for the clean-up, let everyone who is willing to help do so. too many folks waiting for "approval" before acting. this is an emergency, screw the approval. what the hell do suits in washington know about this anyways, nothing! by the time they form a commitee, do the research, explore the legal ramafications, and all the other bs they like to do, more and more of our gulf will be ruined.
this is a perfect example of whats wrong with our government. just today, heard the justice dept wants to start a criminal investigation. well that's great, in the meantime, hundreds of miles of shoreline and millions of wildlife will be dying. everyone wants to point the blame, then they can pat themselves on the back and say "we caught them"! maybe vote themselves another pay raise, because, yep, they earned it.
what a joke.
maybe there is an intense cleanup underway, but as of today, I haven't heard about it. only a few groups here and there doing what they can.
our government wants to meddle in everything else regarding our lives, where are they when something actually NEEDS done.
sorry, but I'm just not liking them right now. and no, I haven't been watching fox news!LOL

Posted on: 2010/6/1 15:49

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
97 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com