Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Marcellus Well Site Spacing

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
It's possible, but I doubt it. If it's a straight vertical well, you just go deeper, no need for multiple wells on a pad to hit different formations. Unless one failed or something (they coulda failed to set the concrete right or something, and if unfixable, just abandoned it and drilled another hole). I'm just guessing there.

But much more likely that you have a horizontal drill site. They may put like 8 wells on that pad before all is said and done. They go down, and then turn horizontal, and go up to a mile parallel ot the ground. Each one going in a different direction. Those sites will be active for much longer. Drill crew, frac crew, drill crew, frac crew, etc. 1 well at a time...

Regarding timing, it does seem to vary a lot. The wells near my family, first comes the landscaping crew. They do their thing, make the pad, pool, erosion controls, etc., and are out in a few days. Then it can sit for MONTHS with no activity. Then the drill crew shows up. Again, a week or so of nonstop, night and day activity, and then they too leave, and it can sit for months. Then the frac crew. Sit for months, and finally the landscaping crew comes back and removes the pool, pulls out most of the equipment, smooths it over, replants vegetation, and leaves only the well head and condensate tank(s). These are vertical wells only. The whole process takes 2-3 years per pad, but probably no more than a months worth of actual activity. Other than that, it just sits there waiting for the next crew.

But a horizontal well pad will be active for much longer due to the multiple wells. There's also more and bigger trucks and equipment in general, and a bigger pad. In exchange for this, you get far fewer pads, wider spacing.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 21:52

From Other side of the tracks
I think I agree with Pat, plus I am not nearly as familiar with the horizontal wells as Pat. But I found this interesting.

Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
It's possible, but I doubt it. If it's a straight vertical well, you just go deeper, no need for multiple wells on a pad to hit different formations. Unless one failed or something (they coulda failed to set the concrete right or something, and if unfixable, just abandoned it and drilled another hole). I'm just guessing there.

Something similar actually happened at a straight well a mile and a half from my place.

Permit was for 7000 foot straight well. Target formations were "QUEENSTON THRU TREMPEALEAU." Multiple formations as Pat suggested.

First off, ... With these deep straight wells they are targeting existing fractures in the shale that they locate through 3D seismic testing. Why not, it's already cracked. And contrary to what some people say, earthquakes are not an issue.

If they just poked a hole in the shale without some type of fracturing, they would get a small amount of gas under very high pressure for a few seconds and then very little. Fffft! Definitely not cost effective. However, if they poke into an existing large crack from millions of years ago where gas was already collecting, frack it to open it up a little more and then collect gas (and oil and even more valuable condensates), these wells pay for themselves in months. Production does drop off after about a year, but still very profitable for about 10.

Anyway, on that well I mentioned, they got the bit stuck in a fault and couldn't back it out. Chit happens. The plan was to cap that "well" and move the rig 5 feet and drill another hole aiming for the same crack, but that was eventually scrapped in favor of moving up the road 6 miles where other crews had already drilled 3 successful wells.

I know of another permit issued for a well within a 1000 feet or so of that one (no closer to my place though), but they haven't done that one yet, either.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 6:32

From Johnstown, PA
Don't just take someones word for it my daughter showed me on Google earth , the pads are super easy to see. And those are old pics in many instances.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 5:44

From Nicholson PA
in my area approx. 40 acres.The can watch each other work. And I no longer need a night light.But I do need ear plugs.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 11:20

Quote:

melvinp wrote:
in my area approx. 40 acres.The can watch each other work. And I no longer need a night light.But I do need ear plugs.

So, they we know they are going to tight spacing on private land.

Now for the next questions.

Are they going to go to tight spacing on state lands? Sproul State Forest?

"The horror, the horror."

Posted on: 2013/4/30 12:16

Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

melvinp wrote:

So, they we know they are going to tight spacing on private land.

Now for the next questions.

Are they going to go to tight spacing on state lands? Sproul State Forest?

"The horror, the horror."

Troutbert, the 40 acre spacing is likely NOT horizontal drilling. Pay attention.

By the way, instead of speculating and jumping to conclusions, you can likely look up the permits online to find the type of well and target depth. I have it bookmarked for Ohio, but don't feel a need to look it up for PA. I can not only look up details of new wells, but find details going back a few years. Not sure how far I could go back, because I'm only concerned with new drilling.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 6:10

From Nicholson PA
Its kinda hard to judge what a 40 acre section is is this 40 from center or 20 in both directions.All I can say is that they are pretty near each other and they are drilling horizontal.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 7:34

Quote:

melvinp wrote:
Its kinda hard to judge what a 40 acre section is is this 40 from center or 20 in both directions.All I can say is that they are pretty near each other and they are drilling horizontal.

An acre is a measurement of area, not a distance.

1 acre=43560 sq. ft.

40 acres = 1742400 sq.ft.

Assuming perfect squares which they are not, and the drill dead center and they aren't, that puts drill spacing at 1320 feet, which is exactly and probably not coincidentally 1/4 mile spacing.

Feel free to check my math.

I don't know what the law permits, but I'm betting shallower wells can be much closer.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 8:02

From Nicholson PA
I would say a 1/2 mile hits it just about perfect.Thats as the crow flys anyway.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 9:19

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
99 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com