Marcellus gone boom?

salmonoid

salmonoid

One of the side effects of a natural gas boom is that sometimes, it goes boom..

Thankfully, no one was hurt badly. And I'm not necessarily saying this was even Marcellus gas either.

With all the miles of buried pipe that are out there, it always amazes me that far worse stuff doesn't happen, either by intentional terroristic acts, or by unintentional accidents..

The explosion had nothing to do with marcellus, it's a transmission line that exploded. Marcellus (dry gas) drilling is occuring mostly in PA. However, the marcellus region, once the future bread and butter, has been replaced with the rush to the utica play. The utica "play" offers more profitable hydrocarbons than marcellus, due to more horizons that have been experimentally tapped. The results have produced amazing results compared to marcellus.

Yeah, transmission line. Not a new one either, though it's possible increased pressures from carrying Marcellus played a roll. It does look like the pressure was under the max the pipe was rated for, though not far under.

Will be interesting to see the cause, at least for a geek like me.

How long did it take Hollywood to get on the Bandwagon? "Promised Land" showing soon at a theater near you!!!

Pipeline leases being proposed left and right in my local communities. Rumors (they're true) of a cracker plant being put in sometime next year about 10 miles from me too. Hopefully that will help boost a dying economy around here. Lots of jobs, and lots of $ for property owners to spend at local businesses.

To get to the Utica they will get the Marcellus out first.

I have a favorite Adams Co. transmission line that was installed with 100 feet of trees cleared on each side...and it goes directly through a brook trout stream that flows perpendicular through this easment. (the stream bank was "reconstructed")

oh and I smell gas by the road everytime I go there...
nothing new its not a new pipeline...just depressing the destruction of such infrastructure

Irishlax7,
Have you reported the smell?

no I didnt report it, I was going to but didnt have service and forgot to call later, It was right next to a small fenced in building or something (compressor?).

yea its probable coming out of the compressor/pump station instead of the pipe. this is very common

Back