Manada Creek Stream Project

S

scotto

The Doc Fritchey Chapter of TU needs man power to build 2 log & rock diverters June 28 at 8:30am. This is the 1st phase of a 2 phase project this year. The meeting place will be at Furnace Road at the lower end of the DHALO section. Lunch & drinks will be provided so let me know if you will be attending so we have the correct amount of food & drinks.

Thanks,

Scott Stoltz
DFTU Board of Directors

Really, no one is able to help?!? I need to know numbers for lunch.

No Doc Fritchey members or people who fish the DHALO on Manada willing to help for 4 hours?

I think you need to build your volunteer corps before embarking on projects. We at Perkiomen Valley TU learned this the hard way. Good luck next time.

We have 420 members. Statistics show volunteer groups average 7% participation rate. We had 11 members(below avg.) complete 2 rock/log deflectors. 4 logs and 6 tons of stone. We got it done.

We WILL COMPLATE log/rock cribbing along 70 feet of the creek in September.

In our area we had a very good turnout for a tree planting project.

But lower turnouts for the bank stabilization and deflector type projects, which involve moving large rocks and logs, pounding rebar, and often also working near heavy machinery.

I think this is a trend that you will see more of in the future. For two reasons:

1) Safety concerns

2) Changing ideas about what is effective for stream restoration.

We had 14 for tree planting, 3 for garbage pick up.

This is most likely my last year serving as a director or organizing projects/events, after 9 years the frustration has become too great.

I think I will just pay my dues and show up for the events that I like or that are easy, or maybe none....just to see what it is like to be most TU members.

scott - i would have volunteered although i'm not one of your members, but i only just saw this today.

i'd suggest you post on the General forum or events forum, as i only look in here weekly or so, whereas the others i check at least daily.

Or send an e-mail blast to your memberbase. I had no idea about this- and I haven't checked this forum since June!

we did send an e-mail to all members for which we have an e-mail address, which is less than 50%. Of those approx. 25% are returned undeliverable.

Feel free to shoot me a message when you need bodies. This for any TU chapters or conservation groups who are interested.

Back