Little Mahoning Creek???

fishingood

fishingood

hey guys, so the fly fishing only section of little mahoning (near rochester mills) was heavily recommended to me by some of my buddies, so I tried it twice, and both times I have had the same exact results. The area is really nice, with some nice riffles, deep pockets, and large rocks for structure. However, I must say that I have been very disappointed, and my excitement to fish the area has turned to some frustration, since I have not caught, or even seen a single fish. To the extent that I have even walked through some areas you would think would contain fish, and attempted to scare something out.

Local rumor has it that this is caused by poachers, who use large nets after stockings, and kick the fish down into them. I was just wondering if anyone has actually seen this happening, and if so, if any enforcement or measures are going to be occuring in order to stop the poaching?? It is a huge shame to hear about such a nice stream falling victim to illegal activities

Not local rumor, absolute fact. Those poachers you speak of are the amish/menonites.

The stream is in a rural area of PA with a low population base and an even lower number of trout streams to monitor - i.e. it would provide very little "bang for the buck" of the PFBC to attempt enforcement.

Maybe you could setup a sting operation and make a citizens arrest? Or stock your own fish loaded with Mercury and let them eat up...Existing incestual practices paired with Mercury poisoning should put an end to it.

Such a beautiful strech of stream, it really is a shame. I've just quit going there to keep from being disappointed.

Has anyone reported the poaching to the PFBC?

We're not talking about the Lehigh River tributary that flows thru Schuylkill/Carbon counties right?

Back