Lititz Run, Great Project, but why stop there?

slay12345

slay12345

Conservation projects are under way all over Lancaster County and they are helping to improve the Bay. Lititz Run has seen huge improvements that have changed it from a "dead" stream a number of years ago due to pollution to a gem now that has a number of phenominal hatches that are getting stronger each year and sports a small wild bow population. (Caught one yesterday)
But why stop there?
There is still room for improvement and a few factors that weren't secured in the early years of the project.
Two immediately come to mind. One is currently being worked on, and the other I hope to see started in the near future.
1. Trees... In the early years of the project the landowners didn't want many trees planted because they liked to see out across the pastures with an unobstructed view. However in current times, the C&R section is undergoing new tree plantings. About 30 trees of mixed species are waiting to be planted on the Thompson property. Last year he also planted about that many, most of which survived. Thermal pollution can be an issue on small streams and these new plantings will help ensure more steady temps year round. Some open space is required for the aquatic vegetation of a limestone spring to thrive so this is a touchy subject to do it "right".
Also the property above the spring house was just entered into CREP and will soon receive 300 plantings of various trees.

2. Stream bank fencing is another issue I see. There are a couple sections that lack the fencing, but still allow animals (large animals... cows and horses) to roam in those pastures. This is an issue wich is currently degrading the stream banks in those sections, and reducing water quality downstream.
Caught a wild bow in Ripparian Park yesterday. When I got there, I was amazed at how crystal clear the water was in that section. Kind of thought to my self, "man when was the last time it rained" cuz I was just down in the C&R section and noted to myself how murky the water was there. The C&R section is downstream from the unfenced areas and it shows a very obvious change in water clarity. We have a couple phone calls to makek today, but should find some official information on what we can do in these sections to improve the banks.

Sal and I have an interesting project on Lititz Run. He is in the research stage, but we'll check back soon hopefully within the month upon its completion.

Slay,

I just talked to Ted and gave him your number. He wanted to talk to you.

Your right the lack of streambank fencing in that section is rather disturbing. Hopefully something will be done. Ted said he was going to make some calls and see what can be done.

Lititz Run had been a highly polluted and degraded limestone spring. Today the water quality has been dramatically better.

Look what is swarming down there now in the evenings.

Mayfly

Mayfly 2

Mayfly3

Mayfly4

mmmmm Cahills :)

They come out about 8:20 till you cant see your fly anymore.

Several years ago I used to attend Lititz Run Watershed Alliance meetings on occasion. At that time there were one or two landowners that were very uncooperative regarding stream bank fencing. 2 or 3 years ago I remember reading in meeting notes from some where (LRWA or DTU) that the one landowner had completely changed his attitude. Unfortunately, I have not seen anything done to this point.

I have caught several wild rainbows on the upper section of Lititz Run over the past few years. My theory is that the discharge from the sewer treatment plant actually helps to regulate water temperatures during spawning times. The water quality is slightly better further upstream; however, it does not explain why rainbows seem to reproduce with greater frequency than browns. If they ever open the Banta Farm up for fishing (like they said they would when DTU helped out with the restoration) I would suspect that wild browns could be caught.

IMO, there are several things that still need done on Lititz Run. The first is streambank fencing on the few remaining properties that lack it. The second is a LandStudies-type restoration of the majority of the conservancy. It would be quite expensive but given that Millport was gifted to F&M college and that LandStudies and F&M collaborated on the research that lead to the Banta Farm restoration, it would make sense to at least restore the top half of the conservancy. In order to do it right, this would require a rebuild of the RT772 Bridge and moving North Heck Road (At the Mill on the Banta farm). The conservancy is currently a source of sediment to Lititz Run, especially since the removal of the millpond dam several years ago. The Millport people tell everyone that it is "restored"; however, there is much that could be improved.

Also, DTU should partner with the Lititz Sportsmen Association to help redo the Sportsmen's hatchery. DTU could raise the funds and in exchange the stream sections surrounding the hatchery could be changed to C&R artificial lures only.

Lastly, my father and my uncles used to occasionally fish the Millport Conservancy in the late 70s and early 80s. They have pictures of 14-18" brook trout that could be caught in the stream. The stream was in much worse condition then compared to now; however, it is interesting to note that brook trout did thrive in those less than optimal conditions. I'm fully in support of stream improvement and restoration, but it does amaze me that wild fish can be had in some of the most impaired streams.

Sal,

That's definitely what I have around the lights on my house (which is in the headwaters of the Donegal)... Also seeing Isonychias as well. Just waiting for the 'blizzard' whitefly hatch from the Susky! :-D

CRS-
I agree, with your points of future restoration and cooperation between the interested parties like the sportsman club.
I just spoke with the president of DTU today on a couple of these points. He started making the necessary phone calls for the stream bank fencing this morning.
I helped electro-fish the Banta property today. Much better results then previous surveys. With a good number of fin-clipped browns counted. We did not discuss the possibility of opening that section to fishing, but I will ask him.
Also talked with the Lancaster Conservation District about the 300 trees to be planted above the spring house. They are very pleased to expand the riparian buffer from 15' to 50' in some sections.
Also spoke with another individual from the conservation district about some stream classification changes to sections of Hammer Creek. This should be an interesting change, some good, some not so good. I will try to report back on this as soon as I hear more info on it.

Does anyone know what is up with the "No Trespassing Signs" about 500 feet above the farm lane bridge (bridge above the spring house)? I assume that this is the location of the riparian tree plantings as the meadow appeared to be closed off to livestock this year. I noticed that the signs appeared a few years ago and thus I have not fished the far upstream section of the C&R in several years. The riparian zone has really grown up in this section over the past decade. Anyone know if it is still fishable? The "no trespassing" signs are right along the electric fence so I am not sure if it applies to the meadow or the riparian zone or both. That far upper section has to hold a lot of fish and I have never seen anyone fishing it other than my brother when he was with me.

crs-
Fishing is allowed. He put those signs up for duck hunters b/c of a couple incidents in the past. Apparently they believed they could hunt if they were standing in the middle of the stream, even though the land owner owns both banks. Might have been different if they got permission, but that wasn't the case. There are some nice sections up there, some fishy-er then others.
Some better holding water throughout the thicker riparian buffer zones, as the amish kids tend to fish out the easy to get to holes.

Another recent conversation I had with a friend... He said he used to catch brookies in the stretch above the spring house for a couple hundred yards. Some of the most beautiful he ever caught. This was like 20 years ago though.

Update.

The cows are fenced in and Tricos are out ! :)

What was the approximate distance electrofished and would you please indicate approximately how many "a good number" of fin clipped browns represented? Were any wild RT found? Thanks in advance.

Mike,
I have caught several rainbows over the past few years that I believe to be wild. I can not be 100% sure as they could have escaped from the sportsmen's club hatchery; however, they are much more aggressive then the older ones that are stocked from the same hatchery. Also, they develop a silvery appearance as they grow, while the holdovers do not. I am about 95% certain that I have caught 15-20 wild rainbows over the past 4 or 5 years. I just caught one a few weeks ago as well. I too would be interested to see if they were found in the electrofishing survey.

Back