Lehigh River Dam Study

SBecker

SBecker

Subject: Lehigh River Dams Report

Report on Update on Lehigh River Restoration Progress
January 28, 2011
On Friday, January 28, DRSFA President, Ron Marks, John Berry, Jim Monroe, and Dave Bittner attended a meeting with Mr. Chris Kocher at the Wildlands Conservancy headquarters in Allentown, PA for the purpose of updating developments in the efforts to restore American shad to the Lehigh River, including feasibility studies to remove dams. Also attending was Shane Becker of the Lehigh River Stocking Association.
Allentown Agreement: The Allentown mayor had previously, rejected the invitation to participate in a feasibility study for removal of the dam, wanting an official letter stating that it would be a non-binding study. A letter was received and Allentown will be included in the PFBC study. The study will include the first three dams on the Lehigh River. The Easton dam, the Glendon (Chain) dam, and Allentown dam will be the subjects of a study funded with money from the Palmerton Zinc Superfund and a matching grant.
Some concerns Allentown has about the dam removal are Adams Island, the Lehigh Canal, the emergency backup water supply intake, and recreation.
The study will be in two parts. The lower two dams, Easton and Glendon, will be studied first, then Allentown and LaFarge (Northampton). An equal amount of funding is necessary for each part of the study. The PFBC and American Rivers will sponsor the project.
Concerns for the Easton dam are water for the Delaware Canal, and recreational boating.
Mayor, Sal Panto, would like to make Easton the “Shad Capitol” of the world. Hugh Moore Park in Easton owns 6 miles of Lehigh River waterway.
LaFarge Dam: The LaFarge Dam at Northampton is used for water for the cement company. Discussions have evolved that the company is willing to pump water from a nearby quarry, but they were denied a permit from the EPA. Negotiations are continuing.
Lehigh River Cold Water Release: Cold water release policies have progressed to more civil and compromising positions among recreational and environmental groups. Both realize that the river is cleaner now than it ever was in the last 175 years. The key to a solution is modeling efforts at water quality and efforts to maintain a sustainable fishery with recreation. The amount of water is now equal for recreational and environmental purposes.
The Wildlands Conservancy, along with the PFBC have already obtained access points for the Lehigh River. The Wildlands Conservancy has two useful maps with access points, and historical, recreational, and environmental points of interest called The Lehigh River Water Trail. Information may be found at www.wildlandspa.org. The PFBC prints the pamphlets.
Land Protection Accomplishments: Through Wildlands’ efforts, over 2600 acres have been acquired and transferred to the Bureau of State Forests. 70,000 acres of protected open space has been acquired along the Lehigh River. Over the last ten years the Conservancy has purchased about 20 miles of Lehigh River property to provide access to the public.
Shane Becker of the Lehigh River Stocking Association (LRSA) announced that they will put in thousands of 14 inch trout in the Lehigh for a contest to be held May 21, 2011. They are also looking for sponsors to hopefully stock 20 – 25 inchers for prizes. The LRSA has been a pioneer which proved the Lehigh River can support a trout fishery.
The Lehigh River has become a new center point of community recreation, activity, and tourism. According to John Berry, both the Lehigh and Delaware Rivers have the potential to become world class fisheries.
Chris Kocher, Wildlands head, asks that we help by:
· Supporting the feasibility study

· Supporting dam removal projects

· Educating the public on the positive environmental aspects of dam removal

Thanks to Mr. Kocher and his staff and partners for their continuing improvement of our environment and enhancement of our lives!
David Bittner, Secretary
Delaware River Shad Fishermen’s Association (DRSFA)

make Easton the “Shad Capitol” of the world

HAH!

Also attending was Shane Becker of the Lehigh River Stocking Association.

Well, lookie liu!

I thought the whole point of the fish ladder was to move these stupid things up the river? Fail?

That fish ladder was not the correct type for shad I guess. That and it is a complete mess that no one takes care of. I am not quite in the loop for the exact reasoning for the ladders on those dams. Whole reason i was there was to show my clubs support to further study the removal of the dams by the Wildlands and PFBC.

LRSABecker wrote:
That fish ladder was not the correct type for shad I guess. That and it is a complete mess that no one takes care of. I am not quite in the loop for the exact reasoning for the ladders on those dams. Whole reason i was there was to show my clubs support to further study the removal of the dams by the Wildlands and PFBC.

So, you were trying to scam chicks then?

Probably not the right place for that.

I saw the fish ladder once. It seemed kinda silly, nor did I see any fish. Then again, when I went it was very cold and we were skipping highschool, which we did alot. That means it had to be at least 18 years ago.

I should go again. When its warm. You can't fish at the ladder, though. I've never fished down there at all. Maybe this year I'll look at it.

Now, I freely admit 100% total ignorance, but if you pull the dams, the water level goes down, obviously. How far up does the water level drop actually go? Someone weigh in on this, I'm fascinated to know.

gfen wrote:

Now, I freely admit 100% total ignorance, but if you pull the dams, the water level goes down, obviously. How far up does the water level drop actually go? Someone weigh in on this, I'm fascinated to know.

I think each rivers dam removal would be unique to the topography and (slope?) of the river. My guess it would be a "Just gonna have to wait and see" approach. However, I am not an engineer and I am sure one of those guys would be able to answer better.

When you are trying to restore migratory fish runs, fish ladders never work as well as dam removal.

If you want shad back in the Lehigh, the dams will have to come down. If they are taken down, there's a good chance that the shad will come back in serious numbers, which would be great.

Those dams aren't used for hydro power, and they block the shad runs. So take them down.

But Troutbert, those dams make a nice lake where I can ride my jetski. ;-)

I agree, take them out. Would love to see the shad return in numbers some day.

"Shane Becker of the Lehigh River Stocking Association (LRSA) announced that they will put in thousands of 14 inch trout in the Lehigh for a contest to be held May 21, 2011. They are also looking for sponsors to hopefully stock 20 – 25 inchers for prizes. The LRSA has been a pioneer which proved the Lehigh River can support a trout fishery."

A fishing contest you say?

The goal is to remove the dam's, but it is not up to us (LRSA, Delaware Shad Fisherman's Association, or Wildlands) It is up to the owners of the dam's (The City, the Cement Company) to allow us, whatever the study conclude. The cement company is all about the removal, but the EPA did not understand why they wanted to take water out of there quarries until Chris from Wildlands explained it. Easton seems to be on out side, but Allentown is iffy.

jdaddy wrote:
"Shane Becker of the Lehigh River Stocking Association (LRSA) announced that they will put in thousands of 14 inch trout in the Lehigh for a contest to be held May 21, 2011. They are also looking for sponsors to hopefully stock 20 – 25 inchers for prizes. The LRSA has been a pioneer which proved the Lehigh River can support a trout fishery."

A fishing contest you say?

Ahh yes, we have discussed this Catch and Release promoted contest on the Lehigh. It is Jam weekend and why I can not make the Jam.

LRSABecker wrote:
The cement company is all about the removal, but the EPA did not understand why they wanted to take water out of there quarries until Chris from Wildlands explained it.

Thanks for explaining it to us, too.

Sorry for being vague...... Lefarge is in agreement to allow us to tear down Cementon dam if they are allowed to take water out of one of their quarries, that they must drain regularly anyways. They currently use the water behind the dam to cool machines. They applied for the permits to go about this and the EPA shot it down. That is until Chris from Wildlands, explained the reasoning behind the water removal from the quarries to the EPA. The EPA now is supposdly reconsidering the proposed permits because of the benefits to the Lehigh. ....Something like that.....

Well, that's just baffling. Why pul it from the river if its bubbling up in your toxic strip mine pit?

This is why I'd be an excellent politician, I don't have a damned clue how any of this works.

So, if they pulled the lower dams, would the lower part see shad? How long does it take? Get crackin' on this, sir.

The lower dams do see shad now, just not a very large return because of them. Shad are caught all the way up to Cementon dam. Dams disappear= Awesome fishery imo

Also, I know the laughs will come or I will be getting yelled at by you guys, BUT....once the dams disappear Atlantic Salmon and (Skilmanian Steel?) will be the next project. We are in Direct contact with the Dr. (not sure of his name) that has been running the NY Atlantic and Skilmanian steel project. He says The Lehigh would surpass the Salmon River. This is just what I have been told by some gentleman in the know.....Don't shoot the messenger.

LRSABecker wrote:
He says The Lehigh would surpass the Salmon River.

I thought you were friends of the Lehigh? Will be out there beating 65 year old guys to death soon, imo.

65 would still put up a good fight, they need to be older.

After AS and SS, wewill start the tuna stocking.

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/skamie.html

Skilmanian is a regular PAFF poster that seems to build a lot of rods. :)

Anyway, my opinion is that steelhead = terrible idea and atlantics = intriguing but skeptical.

Good work on the dam removal stuff.

jayL wrote:
http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/skamie.html

Skilmanian is a regular PAFF poster that seems to build a lot of rods. :)

Anyway, my opinion is that steelhead = terrible idea and atlantics = intriguing but skeptical.

Good work on the dam removal stuff.

Hey, we aren't just a bunch of hilljack truck chasing metal stringer fools. Well at least most of us are not.

I understand why you think Steel are a bad idea, at least I think I do...Is it because of the Upper Delaware? I understand all the skepticism, as I am one of them as well. When I was talking to a certain gentleman and he explained to me that the Dr. in NY was already licking his lips at what could be done to the Lehigh if the dams would disappear I started to become a little bit of a believer. The thought of Shad, Steel, Atlantic's and the normal trout population all adds up to an unbelievable fisherie. The Dr. also mentioned that he would be able to breed the fish to return in different times of the year, so it would be a year long fisheries. I dunno, like I said I am just a messenger and will be talking to the Dr. himself on a scheduled early spring steel trip in NY.

I suggest stocking flounder and opening gigging season. After seeing the swamp hunter guys on TV, I think a gator program would be a welcomed addition as well. :lol:

But yeah, the idea of steelhead going into the upper delaware system is a big concern for me, among other existing wild populations of trout.

But what do I know?

The thing that kinda gets me is this, I was always under the assumption the TU was against stocking over wild and natives, correct? Why did the TU up near the Ausable request a large stocking of trout on the Ausable, so there would be more fish for a 2 fly contest? Also, been told they frequently request stockings on the LL. Am I just wrong?

Question.... Are the Steel programmed like the Salmon to return to their birth waters? If yes, then if the birthing was done on the Lehigh, would this not mean they would only return to the Lehigh?

Back