Holy gas wells Batman!!

J

jjsjigs

I knew my county had a lot of wells. But I was shocked to see this table!!

tumblr_lpawd7IBoU1qfh9uso1_500.jpg

My freakin' county has the blue POX!!

You cant buy a cream for that but you can buy a politican.LOL or not.

cool map Tom, I'd like it to be a little more up to date, there are some wells that are being drilled near me that aren't on there yet.

Here is a link to the signed leases in my county.

http://beavercountian.com/content/featured/marcellus-shale-beaver-county

That's just leases! When and if you start to get that many wells.... not good.

Very true jjsjigs. I don't understand how some of these people have signed leases living in neighborhoods where the homes are in close proximity to one another. I haven't had the time to research how it works either. But I just don't see how they could have a lease on a < 1/4 acre plot?

I don't understand how some of these people have signed leases living in neighborhoods where the homes are in close proximity to one another. I haven't had the time to research how it works either. But I just don't see how they could have a lease on a < 1/4 acre plot?

Could you be mixing up leases for gas extraction vs. lease for a well pad?

Bore hole is horizontal. It may go UNDER your property (requiring a lease) without having a surface well pad ON your property.

pcray1231 wrote:
I don't understand how some of these people have signed leases living in neighborhoods where the homes are in close proximity to one another. I haven't had the time to research how it works either. But I just don't see how they could have a lease on a < 1/4 acre plot?

Could you be mixing up leases for gas extraction vs. lease for a well pad?

Bore hole is horizontal. It may go UNDER your property (requiring a lease) without having a surface well pad ON your property.

And the light comes on! Thanks pcray.....I'm not sure why I didn't think of that but I didn't. I even know they go horizontal but brain farted putting the two together. Even at that I guess it's just odd to me to see someone with a 150' x150' plot singing a gas lease...even if they have mineral rights.

Each pad may have 12 wells on it, each hole going over a mile horizontally in one direction. Combined they spread out in a "wheel spoke" fashion from the pad. So, a single pad essentially drains gas from everything within a mile radius in every direction.

Can you imagine how many properties you go under to do that? And you pretty much need a lease from every property owner, or else that particular well won't happen (leaving out a spoke).

In such situations with small plots, you can imagine the pressure from the neighbors? Any one of them on your "spoke" doesn't sign, and that particular bore hole doesn't happen, and none of them get royalties (the signing bonus is often a small part of the $). Yet they're gonna put the dang pad down anyway and run the other 11 spokes. All of the trouble with none of the $ all cause Jim Bob here won't sign. Yet, Jim Bob may have a tiny plot and it makes sense for him, as his royalties are miniscule.

Traffic, road wear, and tearing communities apart were and remain my biggest concerns.

Traffic, road wear, and tearing communities apart were and remain my biggest concerns.

The tearing communities apart that you speak of is real, and it is sad.

pcray1231 wrote:
Each pad may have 12 wells on it, each hole going over a mile horizontally in one direction. Combined they spread out in a "wheel spoke" fashion from the pad. So, a single pad essentially drains gas from everything within a mile radius in every direction.

Can you imagine how many properties you go under to do that? And you pretty much need a lease from every property owner, or else that particular well won't happen (leaving out a spoke).

In such situations with small plots, you can imagine the pressure from the neighbors? Any one of them on your "spoke" doesn't sign, and that particular bore hole doesn't happen, and none of them get royalties (the signing bonus is often a small part of the $). Yet they're gonna put the dang pad down anyway and run the other 11 spokes. All of the trouble with none of the $ all cause Jim Bob here won't sign. Yet, Jim Bob may have a tiny plot and it makes sense for him, as his royalties are miniscule.

that's the exact reason the industry is pushing for forced pooling. To keep that from happening.

The biggest negative issue I have a hard time reconciling in my job is with the aesthetics, the view etc, they buy this perfect piece of land for the view and they get a compressor station next to them...but what if it would be a pig farm. still stinks, not great to look at. I think a lot of us are pretty naive in thinking that the world won't change on us part way through life. It happens.

There are a lot of people that want to work and would like their kids to be able to stay around home, that would seem to be a big upside to the industry.

..are you saying forcing people to lease is going to make them all happy?

Big industry forcing people to do things against their will, just great.

Yes, the Forced Pooling legislation that is being pushed through (with lots of lobbying money, i'm sure) allows the gas companies that have 75% of the leases signed to force it upon the other 25%--hmmm...eminent domain for private purposes.

unconstitutional in my mind. eminent domain is not meant for private profit.
they want to do that? then how about they share their profits with EVERYONE! every citizen of this state gets a royalty check. it happens in alaska.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Permanent_Fund

Gudgeonville, I don't find that the members of this group are naive in any sense. I know that they are a dedicated group of fly-fishing men (and women) who are smart, funny as hell, who were giving the industry the benefit of the doubt when this all started to happen, but who are growing dismayed and concerned over the obviously out-of-touch views of the gas drilling industry that does not understand what PA represents. We like our farms. We like our forests and parks. We would like them to stay farms, forests, and parks. That is why PA invested so much time and money into preserving, restoring, and acquiring land to pass this treasure to our families. And I don't think the analogy of the pig farm is good in any sense. At least pig droppings are natural and the stink...well I think most of us would rather live next to a pig farm than a well pad, reservoir, or compressor station any day. Pig farms do not use chemicals that contain endocrine disruptors, carcinogenics, neurotoxins, mutagenics, and diesel fuel. Aesthetics? You don't understand this state or it's people (or their children). While I appreciate your attempt to express the fact that you don't like destroying a view, I think you fall short of understanding what your work is really doing-or you just don't care. If I didn't like my job, I'd get a new one. Drilling will not keep families together. Drilling will not keep neighbors together. PA is more than some driller's paycheck. It is our home. Where will you fish when the streams aren't fishable any more? What state?

Missy wrote:
Gudgeonville, I don't find that the members of this group are naive in any sense. I know that they are a dedicated group of fly-fishing men (and women) who are smart, funny as hell, who were giving the industry the benefit of the doubt when this all started to happen, but who are growing dismayed and concerned over the obviously out-of-touch views of the gas drilling industry that does not understand what PA represents. We like our farms. We like our forests and parks. We would like them to stay farms, forests, and parks. That is why PA invested so much time and money into preserving, restoring, and acquiring land to pass this treasure to our families. And I don't think the analogy of the pig farm is good in any sense. At least pig droppings are natural and the stink...well I think most of us would rather live next to a pig farm than a well pad, reservoir, or compressor station any day. Pig farms do not use chemicals that contain[color=660000] endocrine disruptors, carcinogenics, neurotoxins, mutagenics,[/color] and diesel fuel. Aesthetics? You don't understand this state or it's people (or their children). While I appreciate your attempt to express the fact that you don't like destroying a view, I think you fall short of understanding what your work is really doing-or you just don't care. If I didn't like my job, I'd get a new one. Drilling will not keep families together. Drilling will not keep neighbors together. PA is more than some driller's paycheck. It is our home. Where will you fish when the streams aren't fishable any more? What state?

Your scare tactics are the same being used by the anti drilling groups throughout PA. I will not say that if you drink any chemical straight for days on end that you will not get cancer or die, but, you are wrong about the dilluted chemicals causing death and illness due to this industry. You have many of those same chemicals under your kitchen sink and never worried about them before.

You sound like the brainwashed young coeds from the University of Pitt that are so much a part of the "Earth First" mentality involved here.

I live in a very quiet historical residental neighborhood in Towanda. Many victorian homes built in the late 1860's with most yards being .25 an acre. The gasmen came around and started signing leases on these small parcels of yards. I asked why they would want these small yards. I was told this:

We can't put a well here, since wells have to be more than 2,000 feet from any exsisting structure. HOWEVER, we will be sinking wells 2 miles away on the hilltops surrounding Towanda. We will need to dig pipelines through this neighborhood to transport the gas to the RR line near town. We might have to put a pipeline through "neighborhoods" to facilitate the transporting of gas. This is why we buy up any and all leases that we can regardless of residental areas. Plus (and this is the part that made me chuckle) if we buy out Mr and Mrs "John Q. Sixpack" here in town for a $1,000 bucks... they are happy for the quick cash and we made a friend who supports the gas workers!

So the gas companies are just buying "neighborhood" leases to appease the residents living in town who don't own 20K acres to lease... so in essence its just PR? Throwing some $$ to the locals?

Back