Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Help Protect PA’s Wild Trout Streams

From Bethlehem, PA
The impetus behind the legislation appears to be the Pennsylvania Coal Alliance (not sure exactly; it's the coal industry rape the land lobbying group). They're upset that 96 streams mostly in western PA were designated were re-classified as high quality trout streams by the PFBC thus making it more difficult for the coal industry to rape the land in and around those streams.

I grew up in central PA in Clearfield and Centre Counties in the 50s and early 60s prior to the Surface Mine Reclamation Act of 1977. If you weren't there then or have never seen pictures, there were any number of places where, from horizon to horizon, the effects of strip mining look like Mars or the moon. Much of that has been repaired, to a degree, but many of the streams still run red with acid mine drainage. King Coal could and did do whatever it wanted, whenever it wanted. No doubt they'd like to be able to do so again. Without a doubt, this legislation is a step in that direction.

Anther item in the legislation which is truly frightening is requiring legislative oversight of the science employed by the Game Commission and PFBC in making the decisions those bodies make. The state's Republican legislators fall in line quite nicely behind the science deniers nationwide. With passage, we could no doubt expect sound scientific decision making to fall quickly by the wayside.

This legislation is garbage, pure and simple.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 13:56

The fisherman: He ariseth early in the morning and awaketh the entire household. He arriveth home late at night, smelling of strong drink and the truth is not in him.

I agree mcneidhm.

Actually I just got an email from my state rep who is a republican and he said that as of right now with the House returning to session on Sept 23, the bill is currently not on the agenda for consideration. Nor does it look to be up for consideration within the Committee anytime soon. He won't support it. SE PA.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 14:08

From LV
Quote:

mcneishm wrote:
The impetus behind the legislation appears to be the Pennsylvania Coal Alliance (not sure exactly; it's the coal industry rape the land lobbying group). They're upset that 96 streams mostly in western PA were designated were re-classified as high quality trout streams by the PFBC thus making it more difficult for the coal industry to rape the land in and around those streams.

I grew up in central PA in Clearfield and Centre Counties in the 50s and early 60s prior to the Surface Mine Reclamation Act of 1977. If you weren't there then or have never seen pictures, there were any number of places where, from horizon to horizon, the effects of strip mining look like Mars or the moon. Much of that has been repaired, to a degree, but many of the streams still run red with acid mine drainage. King Coal could and did do whatever it wanted, whenever it wanted. No doubt they'd like to be able to do so again. Without a doubt, this legislation is a step in that direction.

Anther item in the legislation which is truly frightening is requiring legislative oversight of the science employed by the Game Commission and PFBC in making the decisions those bodies make. The state's Republican legislators fall in line quite nicely behind the science deniers nationwide. With passage, we could no doubt expect sound scientific decision making to fall quickly by the wayside.

This legislation is garbage, pure and simple.

There may be some truth to Coal Companies being behind some of this. But so are the gas companies.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 18:33

From harlansburg
just another example of GREED! And they wonder why we hate them so.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 21:54

The gas company owners already have more sites leased than they can drill for the next 20 years. But no, they want it all. Because otherwise, it will inconvenience them and increase their expenses a little.

It's sociopathy, really.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 15:38

From SCPA

Posted on: 2013/9/11 7:02

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Regarding the Endangered species laws one, I do agree the PFBC and game commission should be responsible for the review. As of now, the gas companies themselves are supposed to go looking for endangered species. Aside from the obvious conflict of interest, it's unclear how "thorough" they are supposed to be, and leaves them liable to accusations of not doing enough. With the fish/game commissions doing it, it'd be a little more scientific and consistent.

That said, Arway does have a point regarding funding. It shouldn't deflect the fact that the industry needs to be the one funding it, not hunters/fishermen or taxpayers. And if they want it done faster, they should put in more money. And yes, drilling activity should have to wait until the review is done on the area.

The old engineering principle. Good, fast, cheap, pick any two. Well, PA residents demand good. Since the gas industry should be paying for it, they can decide whether it's fast or cheap.

I would think this is something that the "impact fee" could be amended to cover regarding funding. That's what it was designed for. To pay the localities and agencies which are experiencing increased costs due to the industry. If the burden of the endangered species review falls on the fish/game commission, to me, that is absolutely increased costs caused by the industry, hence an appropriate use of impact fee money. If the impact fee needs to be raised, so be it, it shouldn't be a static amount but rather adjustable based on realities of the day.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 8:03

From Hunker
This has liberal democrats written all over it

Posted on: 2013/9/12 1:34

From SCPA
Quote:

LetortAngler wrote:

LetortAngler - Not quite following. Were you responding to pcray pointing out that industry should incur some of the burden in exploiting resources that have real costs to others (all of us who live in pa)?

Posted on: 2013/9/14 11:56

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

klingy wrote:
Quote:

LetortAngler wrote:

LetortAngler - Not quite following. Were you responding to pcray pointing out that industry should incur some of the burden in exploiting resources that have real costs to others (all of us who live in pa)?

Yeah, he's obviously not talking about the bill itself.

If he is, then I'm really lost. :)

Posted on: 2013/9/17 15:02

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
164 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com