Good News for the Delaware!

S

shultzy501

Wayne Independent Article on FFMP Delaware River

It looks like this is good news for the flows on the Delaware. After last summer's debacle of flow management, there may be some improvement. Thanks to all of you who contacted the PFBC last fall and thanks to the PFBC for listening and reacting! Let's hope this leads to the continued protection of the fishery.

By the way, I finally got to make my first trip to the West Branch this year. Caught it after the heavy rains, so it was very high and turbid. It was still wadable in most areas and i managed to catch a couple with the old reliable Black Wooly Bugger. After spending most of spring chasing stockies (still fun!), you can't beat catching wild trout.

I wouldnt hold your breath until the details are explained. Does anyone know what changes they are talking about? Specifics?

Lehigh Ed,

Here are more details in a news release. Actual numbers and graphs are included in the link below. It looks like a step in the right direction.

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Gary Paulachok, Deputy Delaware River Master, (570) 296-7213

DECREE PARTIES ANNOUNCE CHANGES TO THE FLEXIBLE FLOW MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
TO IMPROVE HABITAT PROTECTION IN SUMMER 2009

MILFORD, Pa. (June 1) – In a continuing effort to improve the habitat
downstream of the New York City (NYC)-Delaware Basin reservoirs, New
York State, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, and the City of New York
(Decree Parties) today announced two agreements to revise reservoir
operations based upon the December 10, 2008 Flexible Flow Management
Program (FFMP).

The first agreement, in effect through May 2010 only, is designed to
provide additional habitat for trout in the West Branch of the Delaware
River by increasing cold water releases from NYC’s Cannonsville
Reservoir during the summer 2009 period from June 1 through August 31.
The additional cold water will also benefit the Upper Delaware River
main stem. Cold water released from the bottom of the reservoir will
help the renowned trout fishery by reducing thermal stress caused by the
summer’s warmer temperatures. Absent prolonged drought conditions, the
agreement increases the base Cannonsville release by up to 25 percent to
325 cubic feet per second for most of the summer. It also reserves a
quantity of water in an “Extraordinary Needs Bank” to be available to be
used by the Decree Parties for unforeseen needs. The agreement resulted
from the recommendations of state fishery experts and a review of the
2008 operations of the FFMP.

The second agreement will serve to reduce storage zone bouncing, an
effect that results in rapid increases and decreases in the reservoir
discharge mitigation release rates, (known as the yo-yo effect) by
allowing NYC operational flexibilities to better manage release rate
transitions during rapidly fluctuating reservoir storage levels. During
certain periods of the year, the reservoir levels are more subject to
increases and decreases around the trigger points that can result in
excessive bouncing between storage zones and release rates. In the
spring and fall, changes in releases are more substantial and rapid
fluctuations are generally something that fishery experts would prefer
to avoid as they can be detrimental to river habitat. This is an
amendment to the FFMP which provides NYC with the flexibility, in
cooperation with the New York State Department of Environmental
Conservation, to modify releases to avoid unreasonable fluctuations in
releases.

Both agreements revise operations in accordance with the FFMP agreement
that governs NYC-Delaware Basin reservoir diversions and releases under
the terms of the 1983 Good Faith Agreement The FFMP, which was
originally adopted in September 2007 and amended in December 2008, is an
adaptive and collaborative approach by the five Decree Parties. An
advantage of the FFMP is the ability of the Decree Parties to make
adjustments as either new information is presented or as scientific
understanding improves or meteorological or environmental conditions
warrant.

These two changes announced today are another demonstration of the
adaptable approach embodied in the FFMP concept. Among other things, the
FFMP is designed to provide safe and reliable supplies of water
essential to serve the needs of the 15 million people who get their
water supply from the Delaware River Basin, which also supports a
diverse wildlife habitat. These amendments to the FFMP will enhance the
balance needed to protect this vibrant recreational fishing resource
during the warm summer months, while still protecting the water supply
so vital to the public and our economy.

The FFMP and its associated agreements may be accessed at the U.S.
Geological Survey Office of the Delaware River Master web site.

Temp D Flow Plan

OK...so they split the L2 zone in half...

325 cfs when the lake level is "high" or in the upper half of the L2 zone
300 cfs when the lake level is in the "low" or lower zone of the L2 zone.

Does everyone realize this won't do diddly squat for the West Branch and absolutely nothing for the main stem? And there is viturally no difference in the amount of water released between the 2 subzones.

You won't be able to differentiate the water levels when NYC releases 300 or 325 cfs. The river the size of the WB is too big to reap any significant benefits from these releases of the 2 subzones.

Yes - they are higher than the previous 260 cfs or 275 cfs....but CMON...get real!!!!

A nice release for the WB is 500-600 cfs for the "higher" sub zone of L2 and around 325-400 cfs for the "lower" subzone. According to the Oasis model the water is there.

THis is just another "bone" NYC is throwing out there to appease the parties and anglers and make it look like they are "working" with these user groups and govt agencies. What a crock!!!!

There will be very little benefits to the fishery with these releases levels. Don't be fooled in believing the HYPE.

Some progress is better than no progress at all and it should be much better than last summer's flows. When someone buys you a beer, don't complain because its the wrong kind!

Schultzy

Yes progess...but I would hardly call it "SOME"...how bout, miniscule, minimal or extremely limited.

I will guarantee you won't see a significant difference between the releases designated last year and this year.

On a hot summer day, the water released at 300 cfs won't stay cold (below 68F) barely past Hale Eddy.

The powers that be, know how much water they can give, they know how much water they need for drinking water...but they continue to hoard the water and play games and just drag it out.

Its rediculous.

PS - I will complain when someone buys me a beer and its only enough to take a sip. Why bother?

I have a question....if the release levels are so low that they will only make it to Hale Eddy won't the fish move upstream to refuge int he cooler water? Are there fish kills or is this a drift boat/guide issue?

Keep in mind I have never fished the Delaware and know little about it except for what I read here. but It occurs to me that the trout would migrate to the cool water available for the few months of warmer water.

Maurice wrote:
I have a question....if the release levels are so low that they will only make it to Hale Eddy won't the fish move upstream to refuge int he cooler water? Are there fish kills or is this a drift boat/guide issue?

Keep in mind I have never fished the Delaware and know little about it except for what I read here. but It occurs to me that the trout would migrate to the cool water available for the few months of warmer water.

Maurice,

You'll have to wait until the experts on the board who know much more than I do respond to your question. Obviously, I know very little compared to the people on this board who run drift boat/guide services!

Mo. What do you mean by Guide/Drift Boat issue exactly? I will say lack of summer time cold water, means less people guiding. For instance in the future if the Yough did not have the coldwater release it now has, would trout guides be there? If that is what you mean, then yes, I guess it could be a guide issue.

Can the fish move...sure, and they do and will. But the fishery used to extend another 10--15 miles downstream in the summertime. Now, you are dealing with much less quality habitat. Big fish, big water habitat.

Fish kills...dont think you would litterally see dead fish. But rather the fish just will not be there like they used to be. Less and less of them each year.

All that said, this topic is way tough to discuss, cause there are so many issues that surround this river system. You've got salt line intrusion, the montague target number, wallenpaupack and ppl releases, the floods of 2004/2005/2006, a rainbow population that is slowly dwindling, the 1954 supreme court decree, the relatively new bottom gates at cannonsville, etc. All of which adds up to a borderline exhausting topic to dicuss.

Mo. You need to get up there and fish it.

Mo,

As VC said, it’s hard to make a long story short when it comes to the Delaware River saga. I have fished the D River since I was a kid, in the late 60’s / early 70’s. While I am not happy with the flow management of today, my recollection of the flows of the flow/temp history is not the same as many who claim it was much better in the past. To back up my statement, here is a history (going back to 1975) of the monthly average for flow and temp for Callicoon, said to be the tail-end of the “trout” water section of the main stem. Not much change in the average temp through the years for the most part.

Callicoon Flow Data '75 - '09

In the dark ages of BI (Before the Internet) we used to show up at the River without reports, flow or temp readings. In the late spring and summer, we packed our trout gear and SM gear. We stopped at Callicoon first thing in the morning. If the river was running cool with a higher flow, we would either fish there for trout or head upstream to Lordville, Eqinunk, Hancock, or the West branch. If the water was down and warmer, we would rig up and fish for SM there or head down to Damascus or Narrowsburg. There was never a pattern to it at all.

I’m sure the trout migrate from the main branch to the west branch when the temps warm in the summer, but I have witnessed trout in certain sections of the MB near feeder streams and spring seeps during the summer. As I said, even if the trout were still there, when the water was warm, we gave the trout a break and fished for SM. The main branch has a larger population of wild rainbows, while as you travel up the river to the upper sections and the WB, browns become more prevalent.

During the dog days of summer, the Cannonville reservoir cannot cool the river down significantly into the main branch. It never has and never will. The amount of water needed would be staggering and during a hot summer would deplete the reservoir to an unacceptable level. But I do agree that higher coldwater releases from Cannonville in the summer would extend the trout fishing through the WB into the upper main branch.

As far as fishing, I now live 3+ hours away, and fish the River only a few times a year now, rather than nearly every weekend when I lived close by. I used to catch a lot more fish back then, but I believe the fish population is probably a bit higher now, but the angler population is through the roof, making the fishing tougher (and less enjoyable to me anyway).

I found these photos on another site showing the “hatch” on the D from last weekend. Need I say more?

Attachments

• D waders.jpg
    D waders.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 4
  • D Dboats.jpg
    D Dboats.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 5
Afish. That is good stuff. I wont argue that all the cold water in the world would cool to Callicoon - - that is a pipe dream. Callicoon is the lower end of trout in the early season, but in the summer cold trout friendly temps made it as far as Lordville and below not too long ago.

Just take a look at this chart (the little snap shot that we have) - - Lordville Avg Temps - - you can see we are trending warmer for the most part when we need the coldwater the most.

I can tell you I've fished many summers in the main stem - - stockport, lordville, bouchouville (sp?) where I could drum up wild bows on Isos in the heat of the summer, while standing in cold water. Those days seem like they are gone, except for maybe an isolated period here and there.

Anyway, I will take more water in the west branch...which this new interim plan seems to provide. Though, the cut back of the montague target to 1750cfs from 1850cfs, which the previous incarnation of the FFMP provided is a bit of a step-backwards. Also, having PPL water count toward the Montague target not helping the upper main.

For those interested - - there is a lot of good info on the Delaware River Master website.

Yeah VC, I hear you about the temps. It was always variable, but some days you would hit it right. I used the history from the Callicoon gauge since it goes go back further.

Lordville, I fished there often. How 'bout the "secret" pool 3/4 of a mile downstream from the bridge?! Well I guess it's not a secret anymore since the last time I fish there, there were guys lined all along the run and two toons and a drift boat anchored.

I would bet that we have crossed paths on the D many times without even knowing it.

Back