Felt Soles or NOT?

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Trout Unlimited Asks Manufacturers to Eliminate Production of Felt-Soled Waders and Equipment by 2011.

how do you feel about this?

felt sole link

dang it didnt add the poll...hmmmmmmm

I wouldn't have a problem if there were low cost studded non-felt boots out there that worked as well as felt. Until then I'm not in favor. (I don't see any listed on Cabelas at any price.)

I agree with tabasco_joe. I'm fine with it as long there is a reasonable alternative.

I fished for years with Aquastealths and liked them much better than felt...not quite as grippy as felt but not far behind. The problem, as you said, is that no one but llbean and simms makes them...This could create the demand we need to get them into the general population.

tomgamber wrote:
I fished for years with Aquastealths and liked them much better than felt...not quite as grippy as felt but not far behind. The problem, as you said, is that no one but llbean and simms makes them...This could create the demand we need to get them into the general population.

Tom,

Please explain the above quote in bold. I am kinda ignorant to the stealthies...I've never owned them. I have had felts, felts with studs and now felt inserts (korkers) with no studs and I gotta tell you that currently I am the least confident with my wading as I have been in ten years. The perimiter of the sole on my korkers that the felt is contained by is in play during wading. And often causes unexpected slips. I am going to try studded felt inserts next to see if these boots are for me long term.

I know for sure that if I leave my lug soles in I am rishing life and limb trying to wade with them. If stealth is between felt and lug then I am not so sure this effort to control invasives by eliminating felt soles is putting the anglers safety first.

Maurice

As someone with ligament damage in my knee, I will not use anything but studded felt. If they can come up with something that can provide the same level of traction while controlling invasive species, I'll get it. I'd even pay a bit more for it.

I've also heard that aquastealth isn't as grippy, so I've never used it.

I'm using the Korkers Studded Rubber soles right now. I'm satisfied that I'm not loosing much in terms of traction. I'm happy that I'm less likely to have invasive species hitching a ride in my boot soles. I don't believe there is a better sole for navigating muddy stream banks or rotting wood.

I think studded felt would be a little better traction overall, but would have the downside of invasive species and snow accumulation.

You should get a pair Mo! Just be careful about the first generation vs second generation issue, the soles are not compatible. This sole is available in both 1st and 2nd generation.

I saw nothing in the article suggesting there is any sort of proof that eliminating felt soles will have any impact on transfering these nasties from stream to stream. I know that is implied, but does anyone know if there is honest scientific proof? i'm not interested in giving up the utility of felt soles because some group HOPES it will help. Just saying, is all.

Maurice wrote:
tomgamber wrote:

Tom,

Please explain the above quote in bold. I am kinda ignorant to the stealthies...I've never owned them. I have had felts, felts with studs and now felt inserts (korkers) with no studs and I gotta tell you that currently I am the least confident with my wading as I have been in ten years. The perimiter of the sole on my korkers that the felt is contained by is in play during wading. And often causes unexpected slips. I am going to try studded felt inserts next to see if these boots are for me long term.

I know for sure that if I leave my lug soles in I am rishing life and limb trying to wade with them. If stealth is between felt and lug then I am not so sure this effort to control invasives by eliminating felt soles is putting the anglers safety first.

Maurice

Your kids ever pick up one of those sticky toys at a carnival that you can't wait for them to lose...the octopus looking thing that you throw on the wall and the thing slowly creeps down the wall. My aqua stealths had, just at the surface, that mushy tackiness. I found them pretty grippy. The boot wore out long before the sole did which was a surprise...If I had to do it again I MIGHT get the studded ones. But I just hate felt for all the regular reasons..mess, snow or mud buildup, transfering nasty things from river to river...and I like to walk a long way which is why I tried them in the first place. I could drive a thumbnail into the sole a good quarter inch and have them slowly reshape. The were the first ones from LLBean. I got them second hand...

I know my AS boots transferred a lot less crap just into my car...The were a lot easier to clean off...other than that I haven;t see an actual study no.

I guess my point is that I'm sure that rubber waders carry less chance of transferring disease than fabric or neoprene, but I'm not going to support going back to those without some good reason to believe that it will make a real difference. If drying felt eliminates the risk and evidence is that 99% of anglers boots completely dry between trips, etc. why should my choice of soles be restricted because of a handful of anglers who fish in one infected creek on Monday, and an uninfected creek on Tuesday and won't take 15 minutes to sterilize their felt soles?

JackM,

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pest-and-disease-response/pests-and-diseases-watchlist/didymosphenia-geminata/science-technical

http://www.epa.gov/region8/water/didymosphenia/White%20Paper%20Jan%202007.pdf

I don't know that the specific source for any stream containing didymo has been identified, but there's plenty of studies which looked at the suvival of didymo under various conditions. Basically, a single drop of water can contaminate an entire waterway system, but dryness, detergents, etc. kill it. It cannot be spread in the intestines of birds or bugs, though I would think ducks and geese, in the feathers, could spread the stuff. It can be spread on boats, swimmers, cars, wading gear, washing infected gear down storm drains, etc. It can live, but does not thrive in strongly alkaline waters, so limestoners can get it but would probably be less affected --> its less likely to be reported there. Beyond that, it seems to be turning up primarily on the "destination" freestone fly fishing waters, the very type that the avid fly fishermen with money to burn take frequent trips to. Gunpowder, White River, Connecticut River, Battenkill, upper Delaware, White River (Arkansas), many western rivers, and several New Zealand streams. From the list of streams affected, I think its pretty clear fishermen are the #1 transportation vector.

The fact that it can be transferred by a single drop of water means that basically anything can transfer it. If you hop river to river, you are a potential vector, your waders, your skin, your clothes. But complete drying does kill the stuff. The reason felts are picked out is because the interior of the felt can stay moist for months, and studies have showed that didymo can survive in felt for 2 months or more. So, if you like to travel to fish, so long as you dry your waders between changing streams, you're ok. But your boots, you'll need to put them in water held above 140 degrees for a half hour, freeze em solid, or use bleach or detergent and let soak for at least a half hour. The only other choice is to have a different pair of boots for each stream, or give them at least 2-3 months before wearing them in a different stream.

Didymo is native to North America, and was found mainly in northern-most latitudes. Lately it has spread into more southern waterways. A single didymo cell is capable of spreading the algae. Given the porous makeupof felt wading soles, it is often pointed at as a likely cause to the spread. A single algae cell can also be carried on your boot laces, inside the tongue of your boot, in your gravel guard, anywhere on your waders or on any other equipment that contacts the water. As well, anywhere on your boat, kayak or float tube as well as boat trailer tires, wheels, or on your SUV tires and wheels. Also waterfowl can and do carry the cells from one waterway to the next.

Banning felt will do little if anything to help prevent the spread of didymo. The most likely result will be wader manufacturers will have reason to charge more for “green” boots and waders that don’t work nearly as well as the old ones. I would stay with felt soles for safety reasons, while doing your best to keep them clean along with all your equipment.

Whirling Disease in the US was first diagnosed at Benner Springs.

"JL Bartholomew, PW Reno - American Fisheries Society Symposium, 2002 - whirlingdisease.montana.edu
Page 1. American Fisheries Society Symposium 29:3-24, 2002 © 2002 by the American
Fisheries Society The History and Dissemination of Whirling Disease "

New Zealand mudsnails most likely are transported by fishing equipment including felt soles. Here's a quote from "Richards et al, North American Journal of Fisheries Management, 2004, Simple Control Method to Limit the Spread of the New Zealand Mudsnail Potamopyrgus antipodarum". "It has been our observation that commonly used lace-up wading shoes are good transport mechanisms of P. antipodarum, which often get wedged in-between laces and shoe. Felt bottomed soles can also house P. antipodarum, therefore, in addition to desiccation or freezing treatments we recommend a thorough visual inspection and removal of snails."

Felt is not a likely culprit in the transfer of Whirling Disease, but it is for mudsnails.

This VHS is a problem that is new to me. This is from the PFBC website and heard about on a steelhead video I posted last week.

Just thought I would throw this into the mix since it seems related.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/all/vhs/vhs.htm

The practical side of me says felt soles probably have the highest percentage chance of spreading invasive organisms. Much higher than most other fishing equipment aside from boats. The anti-regulatory side of me dislikes imposed bans , especially when a true replacement is not at hand.

The one thing to keep in mind is that the spread isn't eliminated by getting rid of felt, only slowed down in time. Sooner or later it will occur.

tabasco_joe wrote:
The anti-regulatory side of me dislikes imposed bans , especially when a true replacement is not at hand.

I knew someone would make that statement but I think it is a mistake...No one said anything about regulation or a ban...

"Trout Unlimited (TU) asked fishing equipment manufacturers to stop producing felt-soled waders and wading shoes by 2011 to help stop the spread of aquatic nuisance species (ANS) by anglers in America’s rivers and streams"

A request was made...I'm sure TU sees it as an opportunity to act responsibly WITHOUT some sort of forced regulation. I find that refreshing. Maybe they've already lobbied and found the fight fruitless and are trying another approach but requesting that this practice be stopped (agree with it or not) is much more tolerable than being told they have to...

tomgamber wrote:
tabasco_joe wrote:
The anti-regulatory side of me dislikes imposed bans , especially when a true replacement is not at hand.

I knew someone would make that statement but I think it is a mistake...No one said anything about regulation or a ban...

"Trout Unlimited (TU) asked fishing equipment manufacturers to stop producing felt-soled waders and wading shoes by 2011 to help stop the spread of aquatic nuisance species (ANS) by anglers in America’s rivers and streams"

A request was made...I'm sure TU sees it as an opportunity to act responsibly WITHOUT some sort of forced regulation. I find that refreshing. Maybe they've already lobbied and found the fight fruitless and are trying another approach but requesting that this practice be stopped (agree with it or not) is much more tolerable than being told they have to...

The linked article mentions the ban in New Zeland and that several states discussed the possibility of outlawing felt soled wading equipment (ban). The TU approach would presumably allow you to wear out your current felt soles but the intent is to "ban" the sale of felt waders after 2010.

Then we could find people wading with felt soles in 2011 call the F&BC and they wouldn't respond. Wonderful!

Back