Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Felt Soles or NOT?

From Harrisburg
Dear afishinado,

I'm glad I could help you out, I don't give recommendations lightly and I try to be completely honest when I recommend stuff.

I'm sure you wil get two or three years out of those Cabela's boots and at $ 50.00 a pair you can't complain about that.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2008/9/27 23:42

From Gettysburg
I too own a pair of Cabelas Ultralight felt soled boots - yeah, no question they're a good deal and comfortable. Mine are on their third or fourth year and I do a lot of fishing. I have had to patch 'em a bit and re-glue the corners of the felt. Nevertheless, I have been very pleased with this product.

Posted on: 2008/9/28 14:08

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Since I haven't been around in a while I'll weigh in and drop my 2 cents on the issue.

I see nothing wrong with TU asking the manufacturers to come up with newer, better products that will help reduce the spread of our fisheries. While right now, cost on the few options available are prohibitive, I think ultimately, it's the right thing to do. Hopefully the price comes down on them. In time I think it will, but in the mean time, we should all do what is within our means and budget. We spend a lot of time on the streams, we're all concerned about man made pollution, we should be concerned with micro organisms as well. Preservation of our streams seems to rank higly with all of us, so I'll do my part and go from there.

With all of that said, studded felt is by far the most traction I've had on a pair of boots. Recently, I replaced my old boots with a new set of studded aquastealth boots and at first was a bit unsure as to what to expect from the grip. After 4 days of hiking through streams I got my answers. Do they provide as much traction as studded felt? Not quite, but I never lost my footing either. I will get used to them, I'm confident in that.

Perhaps another option for those that want to try the aquastealth is to get current boot's felt replaced when they're worn out. I did a google search and found at least one shop that will do it. I'm unsure of price, but it may be worth looking into.

To each their own, but I for one, like the direction some of the manufacturers are going. It's going to push for newer more green technology in equipment.

Posted on: 2008/10/27 23:19

From LV
Here's a conspiracy theory, manufacturers know that a total ban on felt is coming soon rather than later, and are holding back the manufacturing of other products so they can dump the felt soles on the public.
I couldn't find anything remotely resembling a decent boot that was non felt and had studs, except the crappy aqua stealth boots last spring when I was shopping for something other than felt.
The use of anything pourous is suspect for carrying the nasties that are invading our streams. Look for neoprene to go away soon too.

Posted on: 2008/12/13 15:37

From LV
Jack, check the PFBC web site for more info on the nasties, they think that transfer is a problem, though I don't know of any proof that you eliminate the risk with something other than felt. The talk is to eliminate ALL semi pourous material, apparently anything that is single celled can be moved from stream to stream. The other thing is we all pay a price for the stupidity of others. If we can't learn from history we are doomed to repeat it.

Posted on: 2009/1/1 17:24

From Chester County
bad link for New Zealand

Posted on: 2009/1/1 20:02

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
146 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com