Eco-friendly Zebra Mussel Killer

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

This guy is awesome. Good read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/25/science/science-takes-on-a-silent-invader.html?_r=0

Good stuff. I love science.

However, yes, the zebra mussels have hurt the oyster population in the Chesapeake, but not nearly as much as overharvesting.

Although I agree about over-harvest ...It isn't zebra mussels that have devastated the oysters, it's a parasite known as Haplosporidium nelsoni.

Recently retired from the State Museum, Dr. Molloy is now a research biologist at the University at Albany, where he is assembling an international team of scientists to take on a new challenge: Haplosporidia, spore-forming parasites that have plagued bivalves worldwide.

There are more than 40 species, including the notorious Haplosporidium nelsoni MSX, which has devastated oyster populations in the Chesapeake Bay and along the Atlantic Coast. No one has been able to figure out how the spores spread infection from one host to another.

Dr. Molloy’s team has discovered a freshwater version of the parasites, H. raabei, that infects zebra mussels, and will try to understand its life cycle.

The article seems to have jumped from one form of defense against the zebra and quagga mussels ((a bacteria) to another (parasite) which caused confusion.

Anyway, it appears they are now experimenting with a relative of Haplosporidium nelsoni on the zebra mussels.

People need to realize that Haplosporidium nelsoni was likely accidentally introduced to the East coast by good intentioned "scientists" who were introducing a west coast oyster.

You hear this kind of thing over and over again. Introduce a species to control one, and it screws up others. Hopefully this will not be the case and the proceed with extreme caution.

last I knew the Zebra Mussells clean the water....see Lake Erie

Lonewolve wrote:
last I knew the Zebra Mussells clean the water....see Lake Erie

Yea they do. They clean the water of what the other organism's eat. Each one can filter about a gallon of water a day.

Water is definitely clearer which looks nice and gives false perception that it is safer to swim in.

They do remove toxins, or more accurately they store then until they are eaten by something else which then stores them until they are eaten by something else, etc.

What most people don't understand is that a clear lake is not necessarily a healthy lake and is never a fertile lake.

The clearer water is not only less fertile (meaning less food for other biomass at the bottom of the food chain), it increases the amount of sunlight which causes higher algae growth which intern means higher bacteria levels. That plus the increased nitrogen loading which is likely caused by no-til farming and what do you have? Fouled beaches, water quality issues, etc. The increased bacteria is not only bad by itself, it depletes the dissolved O2 resulting in larger dead zones, fish kills and less fish.

These mussels are also likely a source of Avian Botulism.

The harm these mussels cause greatly outweighs any small and mostly perceived benefit because they have relatively few natural predators. Round Goby being one of them which is also an invasive. Mussels store the toxins, gobies eat the mussels, smallmouth bass eat the gobies, ...

And notice I didn't even mention global warming.;-)

just sayin...

We would be better off without them, bit they are here to stay.

Back