Didymo in Big Hunting Creek

F

Fishidiot

Add another to the list.

Big Hunting Creek in Maryland has long been near the top of my list of personal favorite streams. The MD DNR has confirmed the presence of Didymo. Studies revealed the snot was located mainly around the Joe Brooks Memorial and points downstream below the canyon. This section of the stream is a tailrace like the other MD creeks that have the algae along the I70 corridor (Gunpowder, Savage). Although MD recently banned felt soles and has had wader washing posts along these streams, the snot continues to spread unfortunately. If you fish these waters.....you know to take appropriate precautions.

Banning felt soles will not stop the spread of didymo , mother nature spreads more didymo than felt soles.

I just hope someone find a "cure" for this. I know the Kiwi's are really tough on non felt boots. GG

I'm dealing with the invasives threat (there's more than one- out west new zealand mud snails are a problem, and in Maine millfoil and hydrilla are problems) by buying multiple pairs of waders and boots.

It seems like an extra expense, but it isn't, because they'll all wear slower than if I were only using one set.

Anyway, it's worth it for the sake of my conscience. Invasive species may eventually find their way to my favorite waters, but I want to be sure that I wasn't the one who brought them there.

barbless wrote:
and in Maine millfoil and hydrilla are problems) by buying multiple pairs of waders and boots.

It seems like an extra expense, but it isn't, because they'll all wear slower than if I were only using one set.

Anyway, it's worth it for the sake of my conscience. Invasive species may eventually find their way to my favorite waters, but I want to be sure that I wasn't the one who brought them there.

They have millfoil and hydrilla in cold water streams in Maine?

I agree with your boot philosophy and practice the same.

They're a problem in both lakes and streams in Maine.

http://baunegbeg.wetpaint.com/page/MILFOIL+in+Maine+Lakes

osprey wrote:
Banning felt soles will not stop the spread of didymo , mother nature spreads more didymo than felt soles.

No, but felt soles have proven to be the toughest equipment to thoroughly clean or disinfect so it was a much needed common sense move to ban them. Even if you are vigilant about disinfecting your gear it's possible not to be able to get the felt soles completely disinfected between rivers. For some anglers, like me, we think the ban was unfortunately a little too late in coming for some favorite streams.

I made an interesting observation while fishing the Gun Powder river. I noticed the didymo was on the backside of the dam where spill-over occurs. In low water resevoir situations, the water doesn't spill over. I wonder if the didymo could be coming from above the reservoir. Is it possible that a bird may have spread didymo? Can didymo travel up the base of a dam? Home come freestone streams and Spring creeks haven't been affected? Is this stuff limited only to tailwaters?

Just some questions that popped into my head. I'm pretty bummed out that BHC has the crap now.

Didymo can and does affect on-tailwater freestone streams, like the Battenkill River in Vermont/New York.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/environmentdec/36890.html

Not so sure about whether it can take hold in a limestone creek.

Back