Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Damned dams.....

Thanks a bunch. There is a meeting next Tuesday (Nov 18th) at 7PM at the Gander Mountain at Dickson City about getting the Lackawanna Chapter started again. Felt like an idiot talking to Brian, I had a huge echo in my cell phone. Looking forward to the meeting.

Glad I called! Thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2008/11/15 19:18

Well the boy in question that interrupted this post on Dams has changed his major and his position on nobody getting anything done as far as conservation. He is going to the Pa State School of Agriculture studying Environmental science and watershed management and conservation. :)

We'll both be at Gander tomorrow for the Lackawanna TU meeting if any of the locals from this site will be there.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 21:30

From Erie Co.
I've seen these dams on ANF streams.
I've been told campers put them up for swimming.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 22:18

IMO building such dams is part of human nature. It's seems innate. Perhaps it's a core part of human behavior. Consider it along with the gathering of other materials to build shelters.
No one needs to teach this. It just happens.
As far as cobble dams, or even sod dams, I've seen it on every stream where youth (chronologically or in terms of experience) frequent a reach.
It is a starting point for learning, and it has been happening long before us and will continue to happen long after we're gone.
Agreed, it does harm trout holding habitat, not necessarily through warming of the water - tree canopy will prevent this and it just physically isn't so.
My observation is that its harm to trout habitat comes from the fact that loose stone is found at the tailout of a pool. It is there because flooding deposits it there. In fact, a good way to determine the size of flooding that occurs in a stream is to observe the pool and its deposits. Flooding, especially from accelerated surface runoff (residential/commercial developments and poor engineering) does much more damage to trout habitat, even if it seems to leave larger rock.
But back to these cobble dams - as stated above, they will wash out.
If you find these dams, know that it means that other humans frequent the area and are not fishing, but playing, or using the pools of water for other reasons - camping water, etc.
Also, don't discount that other forms of life may benefit. Such pools frequently attract birds, reptiles and amphibians, especially if they serve to concentrate groups of minnows.
If these dams occur on stream sections that are supposed to be otherwise preserved for protection of the fishery, then by all means an educational effort should be made, if possible. One option is to contact the state agency.
I've also seen more permanent structures done in the name of merit badges and in the name of creating stocking water - primarily misplaced jack dams and diverters that have more permanently rendered sections of stream worthless in terms of trout and trout supporting habitat.
Conservation is not ever a permanent "fix".
A stream changes with time, and conservation is a way to ensure that as it changes it can sustain enough of the entire aquatic community to recolonize and continue.
When those who are building cobble dams grow older or tire of it, the stream habitat will return to the immediate stretch, if the more significant factors influencing the flow are consistent.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 9:45

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com