HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Cold Water Sanctuary

From South Central PA
PFBC's vetting of the refuge strategy:

PFBC Position Statement on Closing Coldwater Sanctuary Tribs

Seriously doubt that this will be reconsidered on a dwindling budget given the effort to post signs, contact landownders, commission meetings, maybe even legislative action depending on what they decide.

The simplest thing they could do any time and that would be good for saving money, saving energy, reducing pollution and improving conditions for wild trout is to stock fewer trout to begin with so there are fewer left over to seek refuge and compete with wild trout for refuge.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 9:56

Quote:
Trouts go for refuge at the same time WCO's go to lakes for the BUI-fest

Well, on their way to and from the BUI-fest, they can take a drive by the "refuge" areas.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 10:04

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

LehighRegular wrote:
Quote:
Trouts go for refuge at the same time WCO's go to lakes for the BUI-fest

Well, on their way to and from the BUI-fest, they can take a drive by the "refuge" areas.

I saw two pulled off 248 at Palmerton yesterday leaning against their truck talking and laughing. I almost got off the exit and turned around to tell them they should be up at the refuge area bullshitting instead. Obviously, I did not, because I am not an ahole. But I thought it! Lol

Posted on: 2012/8/21 10:54

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From LV
IT is resource first to protect the streams, it is also the job of PFBC and TU to educate the angling public to how precious wild trout are, it is not conservation to protect stocked trout, and in 99% of the cases we're talking about stocked trout are the issue, not wild trout.
What I'm saying is that the wild trout are long gone up tributaries by the time the stockies collect at the mouths of coldwater refuges. If you want to really protect the fish educate the anglers.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 23:33

From United States
Chaz, The trout where you are at may be quite different. The trout that I watch every summer are streamborn and are making there migration. These fish will hold on the refuge for as long as four full monthes before running. I agree that education is key.

Posted on: 2012/8/26 17:55

From LV
Where are you seeing this? A couple of years ago PFBC and TU did discuss this issue in relation to Pine Creek. The result was inconclusive.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 17:05

From United States
I'm not sure how many wild trout are running on Big Pine. There should be a large run of wild browns there every year. I know that at one time there were. It was considered great sport to catch them at night with flies. Read George Harvey's book. I believe that the genetics for this are long gone and cannot be replaced. The early genetics had this characteristic to run. I believe that what is handed down one generation to another in the hatcheries is what remains a constant. All theories on my part. I don't disagree with you that education is key. I have to believe that there are other remaining populations of wild brown trout that have this characteristic. Every year there are large wild browns caught in the Juniata and Susquehanna rivers. Who knows what stream they call home or how far they are running. I believe from the pictures that I have seen these are wild fish. I have not caught any. Where I disagree is the wild fish are already up till the stockers stack. I don't beleive they are ever there as a spawning run.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 9:34

From Erie Co.
Like always the words from PAF&BC "Difficulty to inforce......(b.*.)"

Posted on: 2012/9/9 10:45

From LV
It depends on where this is happening whether or not they are wild trout. If it's anywhere above Anosia then yes, some are probably wild. There's no doubt in my mind that many wild brookies use Pine Creek, but are usually up the tribs by June. As for browns, they are in the whle drainage, but PFBC just released the management plan for the drainage and Ibelieve they are correct in how they manage Pine Creek.
Just my opinion, they should manage Pine a a Brook Trout enhancement stream and protect the brookies, every trib to Pine has wild, probably heritage strain in some cases, brook trout.
As for browns, there are wild browns down as far as Waterville, the questin is are there enough to warrant protecting them. I suppose you could put C & R regs on the trout after say June 1, but you'd have to justify it somehow. In my mind I can't justify it in the case of Pine Creek.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 12:22

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
Chaz: I must respectfully disagree with your notion that some tribs to Pine have heritage strain brook trout. In my view, the Pine Creek catchment is one of the least likely spots in PA in which to find heritage strain brookies. The record of devestation through timbering and tanneries within the watershed at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries is well documented. It is unlikely that any native strains survived the wreckage. There may be other catchments in the state where heritage strains survive, but Pine Creek is an unlikley candidate.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 14:19

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com