Cold Water Sanctuary

Stenonema

Stenonema

I've read a previous thread that brought this situation into topic. I feel a need to expound. I've read a book or two on Pennsylvania trout fishing that demonstrated this type of cherry picking. Wild browns will stack on cold water prior to running to spawn. I believe that fishing on these fish is a detriment. Weather you catch these fish or not. In the premise of protecting wild fish do you believe that the PFC should protect these areas from fishing pressure?

I'm sympathetic to the idea but, as you know.....the devil is always in the details.

It might be workable on private land under some circumstances but on public property, you'd probably need to get the PFBC on board with such a project and they will likely decline due to practical reasons such as signage, enforcement, confusion over regulations and precedent. In recent years, for example, there has been a pretty well organized effort by FFers and others to do something along these lines up at Pine Creek where trout predictably stack up at certain tribs every summer. As far as I know, the plans have not come to fruition and the PFBC remains skeptical.

It works on the "hous" in CT.

This has been a popular topic almost every summer around this time. While it's below my ethics ot target such fish we have to consider two things before we change any current regulations.

First, are there practical regulations that could be instituted and enforced?

Second, but more important, is there really a measurable impact to the fishery from the targeting of those fish? Natural predators already take advantage of the situation and likely impact the fishery much more than humans. If the fishery has no current regulations against such targeting and the fishery remains relatively healthy what overall impact would be gained? Other than satisfying our ethical concerns?

franklin wrote:
This has been a popular topic almost every summer around this time. While it's below my ethics ot target such fish we have to consider two things before we change any current regulations.

First, are there practical regulations that could be instituted and enforced?

Second, but more important, is there really a measurable impact to the fishery from the targeting of those fish? Natural predators already take advantage of the situation and likely impact the fishery much more than humans. If the fishery has no current regulations against such targeting and the fishery remains relatively healthy what overall impact would be gained? Other than satisfying our ethical concerns?

That's what it amounts to, really. But that's enough for me, personally. Put the "sport" back in sport fishing.

At the very least, you may make some aware that it really isn't sporting to target fish in the survival mode while in a thermal refuge. The same can be said for targeting spawning fish on their beds.

Lead by example, some may follow.

Doesn't the Beaverkill in Ny have thermal refuges that are illegal to fish?

SBecker

Yes, NYSDEC shuts down stretches at a time on the Beaverkill. They do it in CT too, amongst other places in this country too.

For what ever reason, I guess Its too hard in PA. Must be different conditions here in PA. :-(

Education is another tool to influence angler behavior relative to this issue.

Here is a proposal; have PATU purchase a full page advertisement in the PFBC fishing digest with a well crafted message. Pay to have it placed in a prominent location towards the front of the digest. Maybe adjacent to the 2013 trout season listing. Ask the PFBC to assist in crafting the ad. Set up a special fund at PATU to fund the add. I will donate the first $100 to the effort.

franklin wrote:
Education is another tool to influence angler behavior relative to this issue.

Here is a proposal; have PATU purchase a full page advertisement in the PFBC fishing digest with a well crafted message. Pay to have it placed in a prominent location towards the front of the digest. Maybe adjacent to the 2013 trout season listing. Ask the PFBC to assist in crafting the ad. Set up a special fund at PATU to fund the add. I will donate the first $100 to the effort.

Interesting idea. As well, one thing that's REALLY lacking is the average trout angler's awareness of the presence wild trout in many of our streams.

afishinado wrote:
one thing that's REALLY lacking is the average trout angler's awareness of the presence wild trout in many of our streams.

+1000000000. This is where it all starts.

Yes, but don't dare tell anyone that a stream has wild trout in it. That's spot burning!!!!!

Pat,

I love it! That was my point a few thousand spot burning threads ago. I gave up since it seems those who oppose spot burning do so with religious fervor.

You can't fix crazy (no offense to those of you who fit that description). :roll:

Mike

It would only work if it was under the general regulations for refuge waters, likethe mouths of streams that have wild trout are closed to fishing after June 1. But the problem is always the enforcement.
Brookies stack up at the mouths of creeks during late spring as the water is warming, but not yet lethal.
edit: PFBC has always said they don't like to close waters to fishing and they've pretty much made it policy.

But Chaz....does that fall in line with the Resource First policy?

The enforcement excuse is a bunch of BS. The WCOs have no problem patrolling the stocked streams in March? I see them out all over the place. I would bet there won't be nearly as many "refuge" waters/sections in PA then there would be stocked trout streams.

Trouts go for refuge at the same time WCO's go to lakes for the BUI-fest.

PFBC's vetting of the refuge strategy:

PFBC Position Statement on Closing Coldwater Sanctuary Tribs

Seriously doubt that this will be reconsidered on a dwindling budget given the effort to post signs, contact landownders, commission meetings, maybe even legislative action depending on what they decide.

The simplest thing they could do any time and that would be good for saving money, saving energy, reducing pollution and improving conditions for wild trout is to stock fewer trout to begin with so there are fewer left over to seek refuge and compete with wild trout for refuge.

Trouts go for refuge at the same time WCO's go to lakes for the BUI-fest

Well, on their way to and from the BUI-fest, they can take a drive by the "refuge" areas.

LehighRegular wrote:
Trouts go for refuge at the same time WCO's go to lakes for the BUI-fest

Well, on their way to and from the BUI-fest, they can take a drive by the "refuge" areas.

I saw two pulled off 248 at Palmerton yesterday leaning against their truck talking and laughing. I almost got off the exit and turned around to tell them they should be up at the refuge area bullshitting instead. Obviously, I did not, because I am not an *****. But I thought it! Lol

IT is resource first to protect the streams, it is also the job of PFBC and TU to educate the angling public to how precious wild trout are, it is not conservation to protect stocked trout, and in 99% of the cases we're talking about stocked trout are the issue, not wild trout.
What I'm saying is that the wild trout are long gone up tributaries by the time the stockies collect at the mouths of coldwater refuges. If you want to really protect the fish educate the anglers.

Chaz, The trout where you are at may be quite different. The trout that I watch every summer are streamborn and are making there migration. These fish will hold on the refuge for as long as four full monthes before running. I agree that education is key.

Back