Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Bushkill Dewatered

From Nazareth PA
Hercules cement shut their quarry pumps off for about 4 hours yesterday and this is what happened.

Our TU chapter is going to contact our WCO and others to see what actions can be taken.

Attach file:

jpg  8802_172528069581656_1656154407_n[1] (Copy).jpg (225.19 KB)
3029_51ae7d3c5d578.jpg 1024X683 px

Posted on: 2013/6/4 19:52

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

Re: Bushkill Dewatered

From Lehigh Valley

They're easier to catch that way.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 20:03

From Wayne, PA
Are they just suckers or browns too? Still atrocious either way...

Posted on: 2013/6/4 20:22

They all look like suckers but the one fish at the very top, with its head pointing into the rocks looks like it may be a trout. It appears to have a regular looking jaw at least. The thing that caught my eye is that snake looking shape toward the bottom of the fish pile. Is that an eel?

Posted on: 2013/6/4 22:30

This is a shame. I was going to try the Bushkill for the first time this season next week. Not sure about it now. The Bushkill can be such a good stream.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 0:22

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
yep that's a eel and a trout with all those suckers.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 6:23

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

From Maytown, PA
What will happen to the water supply for this creek when Hercules cement closes it doors forever?

Posted on: 2013/6/5 8:42

From Nazareth PA
I received another picture with 15 brown trout that were between 15 and 16 inches long. These pictures and other info were forwarded to our WCO today.

More info to follow as I get it.

Bill

Posted on: 2013/6/5 9:11

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

How far downstream did the de-watering extend?

Posted on: 2013/6/5 9:37

When the quarry shuts down it will fill up with water and the water table will recover. But I'm guessing not to the levels of decades ago because of all the development in the area.

The water comes from the Bushkill into the quarry and is then pumped back into the Bushkill. As I understand it, the quarry has to be pumped to keep it dry so it can be worked, so the water table is dropped around the quarry. Water then seeps from the creek to the quarry. Over the years the little channels in the limestone bedrock have been cleared by the water flow so that now there is a fairly direct connection between the creek and the quarry and if the pump stops all the creek water will flow to the quarry. When the quarry fills completely there will be no head difference and the flow will to the quarry will stop. Of course fish can't tolerate a temporary dry spell.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 10:07

From Nazareth PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
How far downstream did the de-watering extend?

Down as far as the Spring house. I walked the lower section, below Newlins Mill Rd., the stream is very low but I did see fish.

Most of the dewatering was from RT191 to Tatamy.

JeffK is correct with everything he said. But when they do shut down, it will take years to fill the quarry to the level required to provide a neutral head pressure. I don't think that will be happening soon. They want to extend the quarry and move RT191 to do it.

Our TU President sent the plant manager an email requesting a meeting and he agreed to do that. We just have to set the meeting up.

Bill

Posted on: 2013/6/5 14:10

From LV
DEP is who issues permits for the pumps, but the WCO will know that. Anyway I'd contact DEP for sure. This is the second time in the last few years this has happened. The plant should be shut down.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 17:03

From PA
When you say dewater you mean COMPLETELY DRY? I recall the last time they did it but I dont think it was a 100% kill of the entire 1.5 mile stretch to the Spring house. As a contractor at the time I spoke to the site contractor that shut the pumps off several years ago. He was on a project of mine. He just laughed about it as if it was no big deal. I wanted to strangle him for his ignorance to the resource.

Please do keep us informed. This meeting reminds me of talks with ACE about FEW on the Lehigh. Those pumps are the life blood of the whole creek down to Easton really. It would be awesome if they would flow constant instead of fluctuation 80 cfs every 3 hours. Just look at the USGS or fish it. Water levels go nuts all the time and that can't be good for the ecosystem.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 15:37

From Lehigh Valley
for the record, the only development that affects this part of the Bushkill is any house that has had a well drilled. Most of the development is on American water distribution or city water depending on where the folks live. This section has also suffered from Storm water discharge from all the water dumping into the creek. One of the reasons this sections hatches are or have become so bad over the years, development and dried up creek bed syndrome.

This section has suffered from dewatering several times in the past since the 70's. Pump failure caused one episode, A Lightening strike did another, the other one if memory serves me correctly was during a drought several years ago . Every time DEP issues a permit this stream suffers.

To get a matter of perspective , that quarry alone is enormous, and also very, deep. Like has been said it will literally take years for that quarry to fill up to even start to make back pressure. This is what happens when man gets greedy for money and cares nothing for his natural world. Even when the creek goes under in this section it still comes out near Upstream Farms/ section.
Is it bad? You damn right it is. Can it be fixed? The pumps either have to run, or don't run the pumps any longer and let the hole fill up then wait for years. The other trouble is that fines are definitely way too lenient towards the Quarry when this happens , they just drag it out an pay the fine .
All for the grace of money. Most of the limestone from that quarry is used for cement and some crushed stone ect.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 4:54

From LV
When I was last at the quarry, I'd say around 2000, they were pumping 30,000,000 galons of water a day from the quarry. The issue then was turbidity, which varies from day to day if the water isn't treated. If they stop pumping altogether everything would be fine, except the quarry would stop operating.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 9:38

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
104 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com