Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Benner Spring Discharge Channel

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
I was at Spring Creek yesterday and the discharge channel had a strange appearance from the Benner Spring Hatchery. I am not sure what it could be but it was like a brown looking algae. A lot of the vegetation appeared to be dying too. Any ideas on what this is? The weed bed at the mouth of Spring Creek is now gone.

Posted on: 12/29 9:00

Re: Benner Spring Discharge Channel
From Gettysburg
It's probably not cause for concern - perhaps they were cleaning the raceways and/or the weeds and algae have died back naturally due to seasonal fluctuation(?).

However, you may want to wait for Troutbert, Nymphingmaniac or some of the guys who keep a close tab on what's happening on the streams around there to chime in as they would know better than I what is normal and what isn't.
In the meantime, you might give the hatchery a polite courtesy call and carefully describe what you saw and when you saw it.

Posted on: 12/29 9:24

From Johnstown, PA
DejaVu........the hatchery , state owned , at the headwaters of Big Spring Creek , eventually closed , due to the discharge into Heritage classified regulations.

Posted on: 1/8 5:23

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I haven't been there recently, so it could be different than what I remember. But I seem to remember pretty much the same thing every winter.

The hatchery discharge is fairly slow, and rich with nitrates from the hatchery. As a result, algae tends to grow well and cover everything. It tends to die back in the winter. Not sure if it truly dies or just goes "dormant", but it turns brown. The same generally happens to algae in the stream itself, though there's less of it in the stream than in that channel.

Posted on: 1/8 8:26

You might be seeing winter dieback of the vegetation. The vegetation may also be changing in the channel because of changes in the effluent.

That fairly new structure you see near the discharge channel contains microfilters, which provide an additional treatment to the discharge.

I think the discharge water looks and smells much cleaner than before. Cleaner means less nutrients, which might alter the vegetation in the channel.

Posted on: 1/8 8:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
153 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com