Bear $1,500, Deer $800, trout....$2.73 please

B

Brownout

Picked up a copy of Pennsylvania Outdoors News May 15-29th. It has some good articles related to trout fishing, some fly, some non. Found a little blurb that states that the PGC has approved the utilization of replacement costs, supplemental to standing fines, when a game animal is illegally harvested.

A bear is $1,500, deer $800, $500 bobcat, $300 turkey.
I think we should apply this to fish......$2.73, please, poacher. It's going to get expensive, might as well switch to tuna now. :lol:

If they are going to increase fines, they should just say "we're increasing the fines."

Instead of "approved the utilization of replacement costs, supplemental to standing fines."

They aren't going to go out and buy a "replacement" bobcat! They've just increased the fine on illegally killing a bobcat by $500. They should just say it straight, tell it like it is.

I'm surprised bobcat was less than a whitetail deer (what were they thinking - maybe dollars for hunting tourism?). While I am sympathetic to troutbert's view that they should just raise fines, perhaps that's a tough, bureaucratic, endeavor while adding the replacement cost was easier to get approved (?).

I thought it was 50 dollars a fish if you caught over ur limit or caught outta season

The fine might be 50 but the replacement compensation they are seeking (new) would be the cost of raising that fish again. Frankly, that;s all stocked fish cost to grow/replace...now if they had a different (higher) one for wild fish based on the kind of money it costs to improve habitat and protect water quality...that'd be good.

Thats a heck of a point. How do you put a value on something like that? An 11" wild fish is surely worth more than $2.73.

I'm not sure that they do this, but don't know for sure if this is part of the sentence/fine so I'll just throw it out there.

Part of the fine should be that the perpetrator/poacher's deal should include some positive type of work activity relative to the species, similar to that of community service. Such as, the perpetrator could work on doing stream improvements, care for fish at a nursery, etc. Perhaps even supplent some of work that costs money to do for the PAFBC. Give them a learning experience along with the fines. Maybe they'd get something from it and learn to appreciate the natural resources more in the future than they have in the past.

jaybo41 wrote:
I'm not sure that they do this, but don't know for sure if this is part of the sentence/fine so I'll just throw it out there.

Its new...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/outdoors/s_627402.html

I agree with the perp having to perform a "service". Often times this type of remedial traing, as we called it in the army, does more than just punish the person, many times it gives them a deeper understanding of the effect thier actions had as well as a new appreciation for that which they had such disregard for in the past. If I make the final cut for the 19th class of PFBC WCO's (which is looking pretty good) I plan to ,with the approval of the commision, use such tactics in cases of first time offenders. For example, if I see an individual littering along one of our waterways, I may give them the option of paying the fine OR supply him with a written warning along with a large trash bag and supervise his clean up of the area. I'm willing to bet they will take the latter. I believe the individual will not only appreciate the warning, but may also gain a new appreciation byy actually seeing first hand all the trash and litter and what is does to our resources. I'd also bet he doesn't litter again. If he does, he's a 2nd time offender and then he gets hit where it hurts, his wallet.

It would be great having WCO membership here on the board to help explain disputed regulations along with voice opinion, as well as address concerns to. I hope you'll continue to actively post/review the forum.

Good luck NMCornChuckin, I wish you success!

Thanks for the encouraging words, Jaybo. If I do get through, I will do what I can, unfortunately I won't have as much free time to browse the website as I do now, but I will always do as much as I can to help out. Thanks again!

Out of over 700 hundred applicants, hes down to the last 15 or so. My fingers are startin' to bleed from all the nail bitin'.

MY wife was in the running for a WCO NoMore........she has since dropped that idea because of her being pregnant. Maybe in the next few years. Good Luck Bud!

Thanks Sal, Thanks Squaretail, actually as of Wednesday there were 8 of us. One guy was cut Thursday night after the physical fitness testing. There are now 7 of us left. As I understand it, there are 10 or 13 openings, but the state made some cuts and they were only going to send this group to the school, so.....It looks like I made it, I can't imagine them cutting anyone else at this point. Nothing official yet, we will have official notice sometime this week. Dan, my fingers are bleeding too! Thanks for your support, Brother! Sal, Congrats on the pregnancy! Encourage her to try again in the future if she's still interested. Looks like the commision is going to need all the help they can get!

Official Word is OUT! I'm in! Wish me luck! I'll be a WCO by August 2010.

Congrats NMCC, that's awesome! :pint:

Awesome news. Kick their A$$! That "community service" idea sounds great. If you get that passed, run for Senate later. I'll vote for you.

Congrats man.

I'd be interested in hearing your story about the whole process some time, if you'd have the time to post it. It'd probably be a great read.

Thanks for the Support and kind words, and I will keep a journal and post it. By the time I've graduated, you all might forget about this post. I hope August 2010 comes around quicker than it seems. As far as running for Senator.....I don't think so, I don't want to become.......well.....'nuff said. Thanks again, Brothers.

Back