Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 13,000 Gallon Frack Fluid Spill in Penn Township, Lycoming

From Johnstown, PA
David/Missy............$400,000.00 should allow for an additional inspector or 2 for a year with change. This might be the news story my fishing friend saw and was asking me about. It was around the same time that bikerfish posted about the moratorium.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 6:33

From Harrisburg
Dear jdaddy,

I was being a little sarcastic with my remarks about insurance being a giant scam but I also suspect I was none too clear about what I was wondering.

I'm not so concerned about what my individual insurance would cover as someone who had my property damaged as much as I am concerned about what the polluter's insurance would cover?

This probably isn't the best venue to discuss that concern but I had hoped that a pollution event generated by the drilling company would be covered by their insurance or a performance bond?

I know there has to be some kind of safeguard, or is that just wishful thinking?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2010/11/27 16:43
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

Another suggestion for monitoring fracking operations: remote cameras trained on the most damage-prone parts of the operations. Maybe even hooked up to the Internet.

Chemical sensors placed in the soil can work in much the same way.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 17:00

From Eastern PA
Quote:
I was being a little sarcastic with my remarks about insurance being a giant scam but I also suspect I was none too clear about what I was wondering.

Humor and/or sarcasm is lost with insurance professionals! LOL!

Quote:
This probably isn't the best venue to discuss that concern but I had hoped that a pollution event generated by the drilling company would be covered by their insurance or a performance bond?

Yes, the drilling corps would have the necessary environmental liability coverage. That was kind of my point, in that the appropriate property should be held liable for damages. Trying to pass the liability to the property owner just wouldn't work, though frankly it probably should and would certainly make folks think about what they are doing a little more and have a vested interest in making sure that the activities on their property are as safe as can be. A performance bond wouldn't be relevant to such an event.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 17:07

From Harrisburg
Dear jdaddy,

Thank you for a professional's perspective.

A lot of internet blowhard's like myself are certain we know everything, it's good to know there are actually people who do know what folks like myself don't!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2010/11/27 17:32
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Gettysburg
Good debate.

I'm with Pcray on this one.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 17:51

From Eastern PA
Quote:
A lot of internet blowhard's like myself are certain we know everything, it's good to know there are actually people who do know what folks like myself don't!

Insurance is about the only thing I know. Just ask my wife!

I did go to a symposium a couple weeks ago that was specifically to address the the implications of MS drilling on the insurance industry. Big bad Chesapeake was there giving their perspective, a PA state park rep, Saul Ewing law firm, etc. Interestingly PA DEP had no one present. You should have heard the hot air that Chesapeake blew. They were bragging that their actives are so safe that "even school districts are selling their mineral right to us." Jeeeezzz.

Below is an interesting article on very recent impacts to well water:

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/east/2010/09/17/113322.htm

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/east/2010/11/01/114497.htm

Explosions resulting in death:

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/ ... ast/2010/06/08/110532.htm

This is very disturbing and has not really been on many folks radars. Earthquakes possibly related to MS drilling. The first article is about 7 earthquakes in TX associated with the drilling. Last week there was an earthquake in WV attributed to MS drilling activities. Folks it is getting close to home.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/ ... ral/2009/07/27/102529.htm

I can't find the article I read about the WV incident at the moment. I will find it and post it. So, those of you in the MS drilling areas may be incurring extra out of pocket expenses for earthquake insurance.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 21:32

From harlansburg
thanks for the links jdaddy! very interesting stuff there.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 9:05

From Monessen, PA
I thought Murph's comments were kinda like people who say if you want to stop the wars abroad, institute a draft. That is, the public will be complacent until their particular interests are at stake.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 11:08

From Harrisburg
Dear Jack,

That's part of what I was saying but not quite everything.

If you benefit disproportionately to your contributions you should have to pay more. That is why I said money from the lessor's should be escrowed to pay for damages to roads, bridges, and the environment.

What I am proposing is similar to what is often done when private developers propose projects that impact the infrastructure. A good example is the $ 7,000,000 Cabela's paid to improve Route 61 near their Hamburg, PA store. They couldn't build until the commitment was made to upgrade the road at no cost to the local and State governments.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2010/11/28 15:05

From Pittsburgh
Jdaddy
Excellent links & info! Thank you!

Posted on: 2010/11/28 15:53

From Pittsburgh
I found this instance of South Fayette banning drilling in areas not zoned commercial/industrial. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10322/1104009-57.stm
-Missy

Posted on: 2010/11/28 15:58

From Johnstown, PA
jdaddy..........those links were great , excellent info and timed just about perfect for the coming of the Marcellus Project to central Pa big time. The only earthquake i ever experienced was in Elizabethtown Pa , Lancaster county , in the 80's sometime it was about a 3.0 on the Richter scale and what was really weird was the sideways movement.

Posted on: 2010/12/1 14:19

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
116 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com