Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Your goto leader and tippet size

From Perkasie, PA
Not sure if this should be here or in the gear section...
After much thought, I am breaking down and getting a new rod at cabela's. I was going to replace my line on my #7 rod but for the price I'm better of getting a combo. I have my rod and line weight decided and that is not a factor in what size tippet I need to use on any given day. I want to get started with a selection of 2 leader/tippet sizes or weights to keep things simple. I am really a novice at this as I'm learning....

Valley creek and the little lehigh are the two areas I'll be hitting over the next few months.

So if it is possible please suggest tippet sizes and a few fly sizes to go with each to have good luck learning. I know that what is available at the time is what you would select but I'm not at the point yet. I was hoping to have a goto starting setup and work from there.

Also with regards to tying the leader on what's the general censes here nail or loop knots?

Posted on: 2012/4/11 23:15

Re: Your goto leader and tippet size

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I use a 9ft 4x tapered leader and will taper further with tippet. I connect with a loop to loop so I can change my leaders out fast depending on my style of fishing. Dryfly leader I use a 12ft hand tied leader made by Chris Fav Fly fishing. Size flies all depends what is hatching. PT's, sucker spawns, and hares ears will work for nymphing and tan caddis, BWO's, caddis patterns up top.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 23:47

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
For those two streams. 9 ft, 4x leader.

Then carry spools of 4x, 5x and 6x tippet. When needed, you can change tippet size by cutting back a foot or so of the 4x and replacing it with the appropriate size. You can extend the tippet by doing the same without cutting back. Basically, you're making fine adjustments on the tippet end only, leaving the leader intact.

As a rule of thumb, divide fly size by 4, then add one. That's the approximate tippet size you'll need. So, size 16 fly divided by four and add one is 5x tippet.

I say rule of thumb because you can go up or down one as needed based on conditions. Generally, low clear conditions and picky/spooky fish favors longer and finer tippets. A little color to the water favors shorter and bigger tippets, your accuracy will improve.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 9:23

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Just noticed in your post that you have a 7wt rod and reel. That's a bit overkill for most pa streams when targeting trout. Try looking for a new outfit in the 4-5wt range. You'll be able to make more delicate presentations to the fish you're targeting.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 9:53

From Lewistown
I'm a 7.5' 3x leader kinda guy. I then add the 4x and 5x.

I carry 3X-6X spools with me too.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 11:21

From Lancaster Co.
Similar to MKern. Usually start with a 7.5" leader tapered to 4x. Add tippet to that. Carry 3x to 6x. I'll go with a 7.5 leader tapered to 3x when water is off color or I'm mostly fishing streamers

Posted on: 2012/4/12 14:08

From Perkasie, PA
Thanks for all the input; I'm really getting a good picture of leader size; however, am I understanding that you are mismatching leader and tippet?
Or are we matching leader and tipped size at all times? The last two posts make me think your using a 7'6" leader length @ 4X and adding different sized tippet to this

If its a mismatch then in a sense were just adding another section of tippet in a different size. I can understand how attaching a 6X tippet on the end of a 4X leader would have continuity in the tapered natured of the setup.
But attaching a 3X tippet to a 4X leader is reversing the taper: is this what were talking about?

Posted on: 2012/4/12 15:31

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
A leader has a butt, taper, and tippet. The labeled diameter is the tippet size. So, a 4x leader means a butt section of bigger than 0x probably, tapered down to 4x, and a length of 4x tippet is included on it.

My suggestion was basically to get a leader, and if applicable, replace the tippet with whatever tippet size you are using.

The suggestion of a shorter 3x leader essentially is using the "included" tippet as part of the taper, and adding tippet on top of that.

It works out similar either way.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 18:20

From Lancaster Co.
My post might have been misleading. If I start with a 7.5' 4x leader I am only going to add more 4x or something smaller. As the season progresses and I get more into dry fly fishing my 7.5 4x leader usually has a piece of 5x tippet tied to it and then maybe even another piece of 6x. SOmetimes I'll go 4x directly to 6x. If I start with a 7.5' 3x leader I may add 3x or smaller. Would not tie 3x onto 4x and reverse the taper.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 19:26

From Perkasie, PA
Ok got it now I have a. Wry clear picture and good starting point. Thanks so much for the input and setting me straight.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 22:38

From Bucks County
I pretty much use 6x leader and 6x tippet for everything on the valley. It simple and does not spook fish. 7.5ft leader for nymphing, 9ft for dries. Tie a perfection loop, it makes changing leaders easy. Chances of needing a stronger leader are slim. I use a 4 wt though... A size 16 fly is also usually the largest I'll go also.

Posted on: 2012/4/13 21:12

From Gamehendge
Blue sky furled leader, 6-8" of 4x then 6x to the desired length. Less knot tying. But like everything else in fly fishin it's all personal preference.

Posted on: 2012/4/14 22:46

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com