Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Young Fly Anglers
From Monessen, PA
So the message seems quite clear:

If you are a young teenager and could benefit from getting a chance to fish along with a more experienced angler, arrange for an adult to take you to one of these get-togethers, and there will be no shortage of folks willing and eager to welcome you and help you out.

Posted on: 2011/7/23 12:14

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

gfen wrote:

Having attended a big jam, outside of the central factor, it seems to be less fishing and more socializing. Ed's educational venture, on the other hand, was downright perfect, and IiRC, someone on the west side ran the same sort of event.

That was put on by yours truly. The water was blown out in the spring (go figure that) but we had about 15 people show up anyway to do some tying, knots, equipment and casting demos. It was very successful and those who attended had a great time. I'm by no means an expert but I look forward to having it again next year.

I'll also put on the steelhead JAM for our 3rd consecutive year if I have the time (which I'll make some time). So those who are in the western part of the state in this age class are more than welcome to contact me to get someone to mentor them or attend such events throughout the year.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 12:56

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

From Dauphin PA
If you want to do a fall gathering, I'm in. I can help with casting, tying or any place where my limited experience can be useful.

Ed,
I'm slightly offended by the phrase "Catskill mini-jam". It's a major JAM and a hoot-nanny of a gathering. Getting 18 guys to fish that far from home isn't as easy as I thought! :)

Posted on: 2011/7/26 16:17

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Ed,
I'm slightly offended by the phrase "Catskill mini-jam". It's a major JAM and a hoot-nanny of a gathering. Getting 18 guys to fish that far from home isn't as easy as I thought! :)

In deference to "The Jam" (as in the original), somewhere along the line all the other gatherings became known as Mini Jams. Any multi-day event doesn't deserve to be called a "Mini-Jam", IMHO.

If anyone can pull off an event like this successfully, it'd be you, kray. I got a brief glimpse into what it takes to organize "The Jam", and was amazed at the amount of work Jack put into it. That doesn't even count the amount of time the other mods added....

Take a tip from ryguyfi (he does the Steelhead Jam every year) - donuts. Bring donuts. The better the donuts, the more people are willing to overlook crappy fishing conditions, or planning oversights. Ryan is a freakin' genius.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 7:43

From Dauphin PA
Noted. Donuts it will be. LOL

Posted on: 2011/7/27 8:46

From Minglewood
Make sure you bring the Donuts from home though nobody wants them crappy Hancock donuts. I tried to eat at the Circle Jerk E again Sunday and guess what? Sick again!

Posted on: 2011/7/27 9:31

These are the pocket aces of donuts. Nothing beats them....

http://www.orams.com/menu.htm

I think the 25 people at the steelhead JAM last year caught about 10 fish combined, but for some reason everyone was happy. Must have been the donuts.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 10:25

From Eastern PA
Quote:

RowJimmy wrote:
Make sure you bring the Donuts from home though nobody wants them crappy Hancock donuts. I tried to eat at the Circle Jerk E again Sunday and guess what? Sick again!

Andy is gonna smack you if you keep defaming his girls.

Ed, per our discussion, I think we could get something set up on the Tully. Might be November before it cools down though! LOL!

Posted on: 2011/7/27 15:36

From Monessen, PA
If we go back about 4 years, we were lucky to have 20-25 people in attendance at the Annual Spring Jamboree. In the last several years, the board and the events have really blossomed, and I think it is great.

I always have demeaned the other jamborees by insisting on calling them "mini-jams," but that is some selfish proprietary instinct that shows itself, and I will drop that qualification if it offends others. To me, THE Jam will always be extra special because it was my true introduction to many of the fine people on this board in the early days and because it has brought so many others into enduring friendships related to fly fishing.

I am wishing great success to all these alternative gatherings would love to see each of them become annual events.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 9:00

From Eastern PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
If we go back about 4 years, we were lucky to have 20-25 people in attendance at the Annual Spring Jamboree. In the last several years, the board and the events have really blossomed, and I think it is great.

I always have demeaned the other jamborees by insisting on calling them "mini-jams," but that is some selfish proprietary instinct that shows itself, and I will drop that qualification if it offends others. To me, THE Jam will always be extra special because it was my true introduction to many of the fine people on this board in the early days and because it has brought so many others into enduring friendships related to fly fishing.

I am wishing great success to all these alternative gatherings would love to see each of them become annual events.

I can't see anything at all wrong with calling these "mini-jams". That's what they are and I don't think it is derogatory. They are smaller, shorter period of time and usually regionally specific where are the jam is longer, centrally located and has the highest attendance. The only offense I have seen taken is when people talk about the JAM. That seems to put some people over the top. LOL.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 10:49

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
The only offense I have seen taken is when people talk about the JAM. That seems to put some people over the top. LOL.

Why would they be offended by the word JAM. It is after all, the JAM. I mean, its a JAM, right? Who doesn't like the JAM?! Hasn't he even been to a large portion of the JAMs (or is that JAMS?). To quote Biz Markee, JAM, JAM, jiggity-JAM, lemme lemme tell ya who I am!

JAM!

Anyways, mini-jams they are, because they are not the original, which is the JAM, regardless of size and attendence.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 11:03

From Southwest, Pa
I know there is a few members on this site that still visit fisherie forums, however, even though there is an erie jam, if any of you are interested in signing up for the onefly event, stroll over to the board. it is a good time aside from the mass of camo and some of the overgrown whining about consumption of booze.

not trying to cut in on any of this sites jams, but the prizes for the one fly are worth signing up and proceeds from the event go to good measures; landowner baskets. they are also doing auctions for project healing waters. It would be nice to see this site contribute in some ways to the better of our sport to further educate the masses on the good sides we seldom see amidst all the banter.

I'm not a great tier, nor in any position time wise to devote time to such endeavors, just food for thought if anyone has some free time they would like to devote to a good thing.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 23:48

-Art Lee

From Monessen, PA
"It would be nice to see this site contribute in some ways to the better of our sport to further educate the masses on the good sides we seldom see amidst all the banter."

Actually through social norms and opinions expressed on PAFF, I think that the contributors here do a lot already to enhance the level of knowledge and stewardship of resources of all readers. It is also very entertaining at times.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 8:00

I appreciate the one fly event. I've never joined it though. But the "fisherie" site makes me want to throw my computer against a wall every time I log on. I just can't take all the lies and misinformation.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 12:24

From Southwest, Pa
jack,

this site is nothing in terms of entertainment compared to what fisherie USED to be. I've also noticed, half here, the eastern fellows, know diddly about steelhead fishing and think it's all about standing beside hundreds of guys. Point being, yes, a lot is done, but there is always more that could be done.

Landowner appreciations baskets, auctions... I see none of that going down. Those guys might be turning into huntingpa inbreds, but at least they are making an effort and giving away their levi's.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 14:39

-Art Lee

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
116 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com