Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Young Fly Anglers
From Monessen, PA
Steve most of the fisherie regulars fish Erie regularly, and it is easy for them to focus an effort on their personal fishery.

We cannot even begin to hand out fruit baskets to the thousands of landowners on whose property we might be permitted to fish all across the state.

In addition, the overall will to help educate other anglers is almost completely absent on there. About the only education you can get is if you happen to post a picture of a steelhead with your fingers within 3 inches of the gills, hundreds of folks will rudely and promptly tell you what a barbarian you are. If you can hack that abuse, you might be encouraged to keep your fingers away from the gills next time you take a photo.

Any event that benefits a charitable purpose is worthy of praise, but I think it is a mistake to make that comparison with our community, since we do not revolve around a small distinct set of streams, but rather have members spread across the entire Commonwealth, fishing hundreds if not thousands of streams. Many of our members are as deeply involved in conservation and stream volunteerism in their own neck of the woods as the active volunteers in the fisherie community.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 8:20

From Chester County
Quote:

stevehalupka wrote:
jack,

this site is nothing in terms of entertainment compared to what fisherie USED to be. I've also noticed, half here, the eastern fellows, know diddly about steelhead fishing and think it's all about standing beside hundreds of guys. Point being, yes, a lot is done, but there is always more that could be done.

Landowner appreciations baskets, auctions... I see none of that going down. Those guys might be turning into huntingpa inbreds, but at least they are making an effort and giving away their levi's.

Yo!...us Easterners know ALL about Erie steelhead fishing!....a bunch of half drunk Yinzers, huddled together shoulder to shoulder flossing stocked, non-native fish in a drainage ditch with bobbers and junk flies.... ....JUST KIDDING!

Hey, if you want to do something to help the fishery or the landowners, DO SOMETHING!...don't complain that OTHERS are doing nothing. As Jack wrote, there many members on this site are spending a lot of their time and/or money on all types of fishing and conservation projects in PA.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 9:00

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
SteveHalupka wrote Quote:
Those guys [FishErie] might be turning into huntingpa inbreds...

You managed to insult two online communities with half a sentence.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 12:17

From Altoona/Smoke Run
How, or why did this thread take this turn?

Alby- Then the other half of the sentence finished insulting this online community.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 18:52

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

BPS wrote:

Posted on: 2011/8/3 10:23

From SEPA
Quote:

BPS wrote:

Because PAFF doesn't do enough being a free resource for people to gather, talk, share and even sometimes meet face to face, so it must be bad. Matter of fact, the very topic of this thread, younger anglers taking a chance to come to some of the various gatherings to pick the brains of the more experienced clearly isn't doing a lick of good for the community at large and we should be ashamed of our leech-like drain on the good nature of the vast angling community.

Henceforth, I know I'm gonna pick daisies and hand them out to everyone with a house on a stream I fish, coz I larned that landowners want flowers.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 13:06

From Eastern PA
[quote]
gfen wrote:
Quote:

Henceforth, I know I'm gonna pick daisies and hand them out to everyone with a house on a stream I fish, coz I larned that landowners want flowers.

Flower killer.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 15:04

From Dauphin PA
Steelheader in a 'beginner forum'.... imagine that!

Posted on: 2011/8/3 15:56

From Altoona/Smoke Run
Just don't pick them from the landowners flower gardens. Lol

This site has helped me a bunch even though I only met 2 members and one was jdaddy and the other was from Minnesota. Lol

Posted on: 2011/8/4 0:37

From Southwest, Pa
blow things out of proportion much?

jack, the flower baskets are a smidge of what I'm referring to. Healing waters, the disables veterans things

to whomever posted for me to go do it, if you would have read my post, I stated I just don't have the time.

I'll be the first to say this forum delivers in terms of education... but there are surely some over at fisherie that are willing to help. People just get sick of the rehash threads that could be answered through the search feature.

gfen,

aside from your little crew on here, do you have ANY friends?

Posted on: 2011/8/5 14:14

-Art Lee

From Southwest, Pa
I never once said this forum isn't doint enough, I said it would be nice to see more... that's all. A lot of you are still on mommy's tit.

let me go read through the 40th thread on the difference between a limestone stream and freestone stream...

Posted on: 2011/8/5 14:17

-Art Lee

From SEPA
Quote:

stevehalupka wrote:
aside from your little crew on here, do you have ANY friends?

I don't even have friends here, thanks for making me feel bad. Hey, I know a custom rod builder, want his URL?

...that's what I would've posted if I wanted to divert this thread from its intentions, but its been put forth more than a few times that the Beginner's Forum is sacrosanct, so rather than doing so I'll just point out that sometimes, part of the path is learning things. People might not realize that limestone vs. freestone vs. tailwater has been asked a thousand times, and they ask again. A nice, friendly answer (that often evolves into a spirited discussion) is a good way to help them along, rather than brushing it off as "go search yourself."

Furthermore, the discussions that spring up around such threads, whether they be about beer, mountain lions, the virtues of Bolt Thrower, or a good natured ribbing at everyone's favourite Manchild is all part of community building. This becomes evident at events such as the various jams that you've dismissed as not being important enough, which are a good way to leverage the entire synergies of this community together, to promote the hobby and such matters as the conversation and preservation of wild habitat, water quality, and sane laws for angling and outdoors use.

With that said, if you wish to continue your tirades at me, I welcome you to locate the 50+ page thread in the OT forum entitled "Chit-Chat." You'll find it was created by a moderator with the intention of keeping this sort of thread drift out of the Beginner Forum, and is a fine place for you to continue harraunging people with personal attacks.

Otherwise, perhaps we should continue on. Oh, and if you can think of a way that you want to attempt to utilize the forum as a way to motivate people to do some good for your local community, I doubt that anyone would complain. Rather than disparaging people, perhaps you should try to do something positive?

Posted on: 2011/8/5 15:36

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

afishinado wrote:

Yo!...us Easterners know ALL about Erie steelhead fishing!....a bunch of half drunk Yinzers, huddled together shoulder to shoulder flossing stocked, non-native fish in a drainage ditch with bobbers and junk flies.....

Afish, I'm quite offended by this...I'll be completely drunk...not half.

sorry... this is OT...carry on.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 16:11

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Just a shout out of support for the instructional jam, I thought that was a fine event for newcomers, and highlights the educational slant of the board which is highly commendable.

Like anything, it's bound to grow in attendance if it becomes a yearly thing, and I think it should. And unfortunately, I think with the "one speaker, big group" format outdoors we were already straining the limits, beyond which it loses effectiveness. My vote is that it'd be best to split into small groups not just for the afternoon fishing sessions, but also the morning instructional sessions as well. There's nothing set in stone that only one instructor can teach at a time.

Set it up in a "station" setting, so that some stations are ongoing, like the casting with Old Lefty (if he's willing). And have set times for others.

The small group setting would be more educational, and while maybe less structured, would allow instructors to cater to the skill levels at hand at that time. It'd probably also allow more demonstrations rather than a lecture format.

You could also offer more topics that way. For instance, you could split up "techniques" into dry flies, nymphing, streamers, big water, tight brush, and allow demonstrations of casting, etc. in each.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 16:36

From Bucks County
Quote:
Just a shout out of support for the instructional jam, I thought that was a fine event for newcomers, and highlights the educational slant of the board which is highly commendable. Like anything, it's bound to grow in attendance if it becomes a yearly thing, and I think it should. And unfortunately, I think with the "one speaker, big group" format outdoors we were already straining the limits, beyond which it loses effectiveness. My vote is that it'd be best to split into small groups not just for the afternoon fishing sessions, but also the morning instructional sessions as well. There's nothing set in stone that only one instructor can teach at a time. Set it up in a "station" setting, so that some stations are ongoing, like the casting with Old Lefty (if he's willing). And have set times for others. The small group setting would be more educational, and while maybe less structured, would allow instructors to cater to the skill levels at hand at that time. It'd probably also allow more demonstrations rather than a lecture format. You could also offer more topics that way. For instance, you could split up "techniques" into dry flies, nymphing, streamers, big water, tight brush, and allow demonstrations of casting, etc. in each.

I want this to happen....I would be there for sure!!!

Posted on: 2011/8/5 18:10

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com