Would it be a waste of time?

B

boj

I have been interested in learning to Fly fish for several years and though this year would be the time.

However, 2 years ago I developed a problem with my right are (a possible slight stroke and I'm right handed) in that I can't lift it about mid-chest level. My left arm is slightly better. I can raise it to the top of my head.

I think I could manage a fly rod with my left hand. Would it be a total waste of time to try and learn to fly fish?

Thanks...Charlie

I am sure most thing can be over come.
I would find a casting instructor and talk it over with them. Maybe they can work with you and develop an unconventional cast.

GL

Take a look at the Project Healing Waters program for disabled vets. There was a guy on tv not only fly fishing with one arm, but he was tying flies with one arm. I think you should be good there.

definitely worth a try. lots of upside if it works out and no regrets. If it doesn't work out you've only lost a little time and money.

You might be somewhat limited on where you can go. Smaller, tighter streams require more versatility in the cast. Extremely large streams can require more casting distance, which requires more range of movement.

But on medium sized, easier streams, of which PA is rich in, I think you should be alright. I'm a righty and in my normal casting stroke my hand is right around shoulder height, and most of the movement is in the wrist. If you're decent with your left hand, thats certainly learnable as well, especially when learning from scratch.

I'd think that a good teacher would be able to identify ways to help you with that, to say nothing of trying to learn with your opposite arm.

Honestly, what's holding you back from trying? The worst that could happen is you won't be very good at it, but still better than stayign home and not boterhing.

Plus, maybe there'd be benefits in having the will, drive, and regular use of your arm.

Project Healing Waters is probably a great start, to find a forum out there about some of the stuff going on and seeing if you can take advantage of their contacts to find someone who can help teach.

Good luck, have fun.

My buddy was in a bad car accident and lost a lot of function in his dominant arm, but he cast fine.

Charlie, where are you from? im sure one of us from this board can help or get you started.

jeff

Not a waste of time. Had a severe stroke 6 years ago; lost the use of left arm, hand, and partial leg. I started flyfishing in November and been fishing ever since. i got discouraged at first, but with some help and patience, i got it. sure you are going to have find a way to make it work, but you have to keep at it. I got alot of help from the staff at Flyfishers Paradise; they were very helpful there, gave me alot of tips and encouragement. you have to really watch what you are doing, but I am hard headed and fish the same waters as everyone else. I am near Spring Creek. You can talk w/ me to see what I have done or if I can help, let me know.

Steve

If you are near State College, we can meet at the stream.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
I once met a guy flyfishing on penns creek, who had an artificial arm.
And he was doing pretty well.

Go for it!

To everyone that responded - I really want to thank you all for the encouragement. I'm going to definitely look into getting some lessons and Project Healing Waters.

To answer the question of where I'm located. I'm in the Far Northeast section of Philly about 5 miles S of the old Exit 28 of the PA Turnpike.

Again thanks to all...Charlie

There are a million ways to cast a fly line you will find a way to make it work for you and you'll be so glad you didn't pass up the opportunity. Get out and enjoy yourself you only live once.

boj,
I’d certainly second the encouragement you’ve received here on this forum – by all means give it a try. Keep in mind, of course, that for many of us on this forum, fly fishing and fly tying are central parts of our lives and we’d find a way to keep at it despite physical limitations. Fly fishing isn’t for everyone. Do you enjoy other types of fishing? Can you enjoy fishing with spinning gear?
I’d recommend you try out casting a fly rod. Most fly shops can help you out with this. Try casting out in a field or open area and just get a feel for the basic fly casting stroke. Don’t worry about catching fish or tying knots or any of that stuff (yet). At this point, you just want to feel the function of fly casting. Don’t worry about distance or having a flawless cast – most fly fishing scenarios here in PA don’t require either.
I’d be willing to bet that you’ll decide pretty quickly that, “hey, I can get the hang of this” or you’ll note pretty quickly that this fly casting thing may be tougher that it seemed.

In addition to what has been said:

A compensation strategy could be to go with a shorter rod, say about 7 feet, because these can be handled quite well with wrist and elbow action, and very little shoulder, so that your gripping hand will rarely ever need to go up higher than your shoulder (for your left hand).

I often opt for the shorter rod even though a longer one is a better tool for some streams simply for the comfort and absence of fatigue that "wristing" my casts provides.

Good luck.

I have a 5 year old with Erb's Palsy...she has progressed from a completely paralyzed arm to have about the same range as you. She goes fly fishing with me and can cast on her own.
Just slow it down and practice the proper casting techniques and you'll soon be out-casting many veterans who have sloppy casting habits (like me!)

You wanna meet up at the Little Lehigh some morning, Boj, I'll put a rod in your hand and we'll see if we can't figure out something that works for you, lets you get your feet wet and if you can make it work, then you can buy some gear.

If it doesn't work, no expenditure.

I think it can be done. In many situations I use a side arm cast. It requires more open water, but it works. You may be able to nymph effectively.

I took up skiing at age 50. It ain't pretty, but I enjoy it.

Salmo

Gfen:

Thanks for the offer. Maybe if you were closer to Phila.

Charlie

If the mood hits, you'll know how to get in touch.. I don't leave the valley much, though, there be dragons out there.

Back