WOOT Finally Got My first on a fly

mrwisker

mrwisker

After amassing my gear and wrangling around kids and wife, I finally got out with the new Fly Rod (first time ever with a fly rod)
Was about an hour this am in the Monocacy Creek. I was using a pheasant tail flashback. All I got was one, but hey, it was my first one on a fly and my first one this year.
Unfortunatly I didn't have a camera, and I couldn't get my phone out in time. I don't have a net, and it removed itself from my hook right at my feet. I don't know about anybody else here, but if I hook into a fish and it is at least to my feet where I am ready to bend down to pick it up, and it unhooks itself, I count it as caught. I always catch and release anyway, so that saves the handling and potential damage to the fish.
Oh :) it was a trout (not sure what variety) around the 12" range. Probably a stock.

Congratulations!!

If you weren't "hooked" before, you surely are now!!

Have that camera ready next time.

Yeah man! Also got my first on a dry fly this weekend!! Thats great! Feels pretty good doesn't it?

Yes it does :)
I tried again this evening, and got nothing fish wise.
But I did however, run into two other fly fishers out on the creek.
They told me that the stretch I was fishing was the most difficult area to fish due to the amout of wild brownies and the stillness of the water in that area. (i would say native, but even as a newbie, I saw the debates about that and didn't want to fuel the frenzie)
One gentleman was telling me about and how to use strike indicators with the nymphs and gave me one of the flies that was working well for him and a couple foam strike indicators.
The second gentleman was telling me about what was working for him and gave me a few prince flies and one he called a parachute fly.
The lack of caught fish was more than made up for in information education and new flies :)

Awesome, catching that first fish usually starts it all. The first year I fly fished I think I caught five and I fished a lot, so they were sweet little nuggets to keep me interested, not that I needed any more passion for it. I was addicted to it and have been ever since!

The strike indicators help you see the strike but pay attention to how drag works with them. You will get less drag with them but my buddy learned a lot about how when he would cast across a stream to fish the far bank and he saw how the middle of the stream was moving much faster than the sides and so on. He learned to make adustments to how to make a cast into a hole or to make a drift by using strike indicators.

Good luck and may you get more tug love.

Congrats on your first fly rod trout. No matter how many you catch in the future, the first one is always special.

Back