Winter Fishing ..

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

What can I expect for winter fishing over the next 4 months here on the east side of the state?

Do trout eat all year round or is there a temp where it is just to cold and the fish just don't bite?

Does a very cold winter effect trout in a negative way?

Anyone want to have a mini 'Turkey' Jam either the weekend b4 or Sunday after TGiving here on the east side if our schedules can jive?

I would be willing to meet on Black Friday, if I am not swamped with work or school. I catch fish all winter long.

Black friday in a nogo for me .. wifes family in town.

Per winter fishing .. they feed in normal cycle?

Warmest parts of the day seems best.

Stagger,
You should be able to find feeding trout in most streams all year long (provided they're not iced over!). As SBecker said, warmest part of the day is usually the best time. You may also want to try some spring creeks or those with limestone influence. They stay at a more constant temp. year round, and the fish stay more active as well.

Holla...we will fish all winter...

BTW Andrew...how's yer toe?

Holla...we will fish all winter...

Hey Focker .. I flipped u some dates, via pm, last week haven't heard back. U get them cause I might be getting 2 hall passes to fish

Holla back fish-nizzle

BTW Andrew...how's yer toe?

ibuprofen > codine and Justen Beiber sux

Hopefully heading to an orthopedist tomorrow b/ my toe is still pointing east but the advil gives me a false sense of security .. popping'em like candy

PM sent snaggletoe

Come,,on guys it's fall until Dec. 21, then it will be the end of the world.
Saturday is the best day for planning such events during the T-day weekend. People are still traveling on Friday, and on Sunday they are going home. Unless you are interested in being the only person fishing then they are great days to be out. Personally I've been going out on black friday for years, it works well for me, and there's no one else fishing.
For winter, I want to be the first person on the water I'm fishing. I look for water the sun is on early and then sort of follow the sun.

I use to have to wait until the slush melted in Montana[usually around 11am]then more often than not,climb over the bank ice to get to the water and keep one eye upstream for icebergs.
Fish will hit just fine until snow melt shuts them down.
So if the temp goes up a degree or two[shallows and gravel bottom] its turn on but turn off for the day if water temp drops a degree or two.
Why,I don't know but you can bet the ranch on it.
One good thing is bigger trout will be more active than smaller ones.
Something about heat retention .
So if the water temp is close to freezing concentrate on streams that hold better sized fish.
And if you know where some springs release water -HEAVEN.

Typically what type of flies works best in winter. I asume there is no hatch???

Foxfire,
There are hatches off and on all winter, more so on limestone streams but also on freestone streams. It depends on where you are fishing.
Many streams have sporadic heavy hatches of baetis mayflies during the winter, both freestone and limestone streams have them. They may be different species on different streams but the patterns are the same. It is important to capture a sample.
Other hatches include, stone flies, in black or very dark brown. As small as # 18 but as large as a # 12. midges in several sizes, usually black, but may occur in other colors. Hope this helps, it is important if you are a beginner to capture samples or take photos with some sort of object to give you an idea of the actual size of the insect.
Otherwise it is nymph and streamer season.

Good info Chaz- Thanks.

Any nymph suggestions for the colder weather vs warmer?

Limestone streams tend to fish well all winter. The more limestone influence, the more consistent it will be. Egg patterns (Y2K bugs, glo bugs, sucker spawn) and shenks sculpins produce fish consistently. You can have some really great days during the winter. Sunny afternoons can be good for surface midge activity.

Snowmelt is the kiss of death for any winter fishing. A 35 degree day is a good sign. A 45 degree day can melt enough snow to make the fish very sluggish by afternoon.

Volk,

Based on my experience, small mayfly nymph imitations such as a pheasant tail or gray in color in sizes 20 -24 work well. Most of your spring mayfly species are in that size range in the winter. Also, I had success with small caddis pupas during this time of the year in gray and insect green.

I've also had success with dark colored midges in sizes 20-26 during the winter. Along with the darker colored midges, I've had success with red midge larvae and pupas during the winter.

I fish these flies in slack water or deep pools as well as behind large rocks that provide current breaks.

I hope this helps.

Dale

Volks, Al's Rats work well when there are midges hatching, a small pheasant tail nymph when baetis are hatching, larger pt's if there are large mayfly nymphs in the water and # 14 and # 12 black stone fly nymphs.

Thanks Chaz And Dale!

Good stuff guys. I now know what to fish with this winter .. thanks

Back