Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Winter Fishing ..

Limestone streams tend to fish well all winter. The more limestone influence, the more consistent it will be. Egg patterns (Y2K bugs, glo bugs, sucker spawn) and shenks sculpins produce fish consistently. You can have some really great days during the winter. Sunny afternoons can be good for surface midge activity.

Snowmelt is the kiss of death for any winter fishing. A 35 degree day is a good sign. A 45 degree day can melt enough snow to make the fish very sluggish by afternoon.

Posted on: 2012/11/7 20:06

From Shrewsbury, PA
Volk,

Based on my experience, small mayfly nymph imitations such as a pheasant tail or gray in color in sizes 20 -24 work well. Most of your spring mayfly species are in that size range in the winter. Also, I had success with small caddis pupas during this time of the year in gray and insect green.

I've also had success with dark colored midges in sizes 20-26 during the winter. Along with the darker colored midges, I've had success with red midge larvae and pupas during the winter.

I fish these flies in slack water or deep pools as well as behind large rocks that provide current breaks.

I hope this helps.

Dale

Posted on: 2012/11/8 9:09

From LV
Volks, Al's Rats work well when there are midges hatching, a small pheasant tail nymph when baetis are hatching, larger pt's if there are large mayfly nymphs in the water and # 14 and # 12 black stone fly nymphs.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 10:28

From Abington
Thanks Chaz And Dale!

Posted on: 2012/11/8 16:40

From Couldn't Care Less
Good stuff guys. I now know what to fish with this winter .. thanks

Posted on: 2012/11/8 19:00

From North East PA
Andrew -

An important part of winter fishing is preparation. Great advice has been given on what and how to fish, but remember that you need to prepare yourself for winter fishing.

Dress in layers and overdress rather than under-dress. It's a lot easier to carry a backpack and store things in it that to try and get warm with nothing else to go to.

I like a vest over two layers when it is mildly cold, then add jacket as the temp drops. Be sure to try casting motions with whatever you choose for outerwear. You don't want too confining.

Thin gloves that are easy to get on and off. (knots are tough to tie with cold fingers

Warm hat - You really do lose a lot of heat through your head. (Particularly those of us that are thinned out on top.)

Good socks in layers. Make sure to wear a wicking pair next to your sking, then heaver ones on top. Note: You don't want your boots to be too tight - Cramping your feet will only cause them to get cold faster.

Golf or bowling towel to dry your hands. Wet hands get cold faster!

Wading staff - It gets even more slippery in the winter!

Dunk bag - complete change of clothes, including a jacket of some type. It's like car insurance - you don't want to use it but you will be damn glad to have it when you need it.

Used this methodology and fished all winter without too much suffering.

Dave

Posted on: 2012/11/9 6:26

From Abington
Good advice Dave!

As the great Fox once said: Start warm,stay warm.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 7:14

From Howard Falls
^ nice. Think that's a D.quote, though.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 9:01

From Couldn't Care Less
Ha .. Great stuff Dave and u saved an extra thread abt clothing and layers. Thanks for the advice/info .. much appreciated. Need this f'en toe to heal as I had/have some Nov. days w/ time to fish and I can't. Jonesing for some fishing

Posted on: 2012/11/9 9:42

From Morrisville
Also stay away from anything cotton in winter!!!!!!!Wool or high tech stuff is the way to go, cotton absorbs your sweat (yes you will sweat a little) and gets very cold when wet.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 12:22

From Abington
Quote:

mcfinn wrote:
^ nice. Think that's a D.quote, though.

Maybe...but since Fox is old, we'll give him credit...but yeah...sounds like you....

Posted on: 2012/11/9 13:41

From Howard Falls
Totally recommend the balaclava (sp?), too... Love those fleece neck-things since, as VolksRN says, ' 95% of your body heat escapes FROM your body'.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 17:09

From North East PA
Polar fleece is great stuff except for its lack of wind cutting ability. Put a nylon shell over it and it can keep you comfortable as part of a layering system.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 21:21

From Couldn't Care Less
All very similar to skiing

Posted on: 2012/11/10 7:16

From Howard Falls
Am with DJS re:the fleece under any windstopper. Specifically, though around the neck/Vegas Nerve (sp on puprpose). Since we spend alotta time 'chin to chest' either tying up flies or their tippits, the neck freeze is something i'm finatical about trying to avoid.

Posted on: 2012/11/10 8:36

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com