Windy Day Question

djs12354

djs12354

Thinking back to the day we were fishing the Little Lehigh on the day we were getting major wind gusts. Fishing with nymphs and indicators, I was doing a lot of sidearm casts, trying to keep the line down and as far out of the wind as possible. I was using my 5 wt at the time.

Heritage Angler, I thought I heard you mention something to Foxgap at the time about wishing you had your 7 wt. Was that because the heavier combination (rod/line) would be easier to cast in the wind? Or just personal choice of a different rod that you liked better for windy conditions?
Anyone else want to chime in?

Since I just got my 7 wt back from Klyloe this week, I can now get it set up with the furled leader I bought for it and get some practice with it.

Suggestions for leader to come off the furled leader?

Comments in any of the questions? (Be nice - I am a neophyte, after all)

Thanks,

Dave

Keeping casts low always helps me on windy days. Also, timing: If a gust comes up, I just wait a few seconds longer until it dies down. And if I know it's going to be windy, I'll use a rod rated for a heavier line.

2 more things that work for me:

Compensate for the wind by punching your forward cast if you are facing the wind, or your back cast if the wind is behind you.

And compensate for where the fly will land. i.e., aim a little upstream from your intended target if the wind is blowing downstream.

I said that? Musta been really windy at the time.

Fox and I both were fishing 6wt rods, and they were about the perfect choice for the conditions.

Under those type of conditions, trying for a delicate presentation is tough. Like outsider said, just wait for a break in the wind. Not to be confused with breaking wind. ;-)

This is one place where lots of line speed, and lower trajectory are really important.

Ed,

Breaking wind may be helpful if you're getting crowded out by other anglers. That's why I always carry a can of baked beans in my truck.

Yeah, I was going for the line speed and, by timing to be between the wind gusts, managing to get the casts where I wanted them (or a reasonable facsimile thereof).
I don't think I would have done very well with a dry that day. But held my own with the nymphs. I think the weight of the thingamabobber helped.

Still have so much to learn regarding casting. Spent some time in the yard yesterday, just trying to work on the presentation portion of the cast. Watching the back-cast to be sure I was being patient enough to let it straighten out enough, then powering to the 10 o'clock position.

More time on the water will help, but it looks like I will be lucky to get out on Sunday afternoon this week. I have to head to Ohio and do my mother-in-law's taxes, as well as some other small chores for her.

Back