Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: who is a successful nymph fisherman?

From Poconos, PA
Check out... R. Hafele " Nymph-Fishing Rivers & Streams"

Posted on: 2011/10/26 0:26

From Stevens,Pa.
Correct methods taught by a nympher and time on the water will make anyone a better bottom dredger. Everyone touched on one or more issues to better nymphing, but until you gain confidence by catching fish you will continue, to think you cant do it. Go with three or four basic flies ,shorten up your leader to about six feet. Weight it if neccecary, I choose to use a bead threaded on the tippet to get the fly to the fishes level. There are so many variables in nymphing we could have a forum on the subject. Good luck

Posted on: 2011/10/29 7:05

Quote:

brookieaddict wrote:
Correct methods taught by a nympher and time on the water will make anyone a better bottom dredger. Everyone touched on one or more issues to better nymphing, but until you gain confidence by catching fish you will continue, to think you cant do it. Go with three or four basic flies ,shorten up your leader to about six feet. Weight it if neccecary, I choose to use a bead threaded on the tippet to get the fly to the fishes level. There are so many variables in nymphing we could have a forum on the subject. Good luck

This is advice that should be taken seriously.

I'm a nympher no expert but I had a great teacher. My Son was on the Team USA Youth Fly Fishing team and while I could take a picture of his fly box he had about 4-5 go to nymphs. He gave me some simple advice. You need to find a nymph and stay with it. Sink it fast and deep, don't let it carry on top. Find a depth that you feel the bump, bump, bump without getting caught up all of the time. .... lose the leader thought, you don't need it until you go to deep water RIVERS. Keep your line in front of your drag without dragging it.

Start there. I love Beadheads for weight,

Posted on: 2011/11/8 22:02

I love nymphing. Im not an expert but I enjoy learning and getting better. 95% of fish landed this season for me were on nymphs. Good advice given by the other threads. Keep it simple. Start with 4 or 5 confidence patterns. I have found a good majority of the time presentation is more important than fly pattern. I would start with smallest indicators that will float your rig. I like the small thingabobbers or yarn. Fish with the longest rod you can get away with. Small streams I use a 7'11" and for bigger open water 9 or 10'. Their are many leader formulas and rigs. This is one that I use the most for small streams is. 3'-20lb,1.5'of-15lb I teminate this to a micro ring. from the micro ring I use 4x or 5x tippet (2x the depth of the water)for small streams this is normally around 3-5' for me.
Attached your indicator above the micro ring and put your split shot 8"-12" away from your fly.I start with (1)BB size shot. Adjust as neccessary. When you make your upstream cast your indictator should be leading your fly or flys downstream. Lift you rod tip as the indicator floats past your position and try to keep the flyline and the butt section of your leader off of the water to reduce drag.
Your indicator should be moving slightly slower than the current. If its moving faster than the current your flys are not near the bottom make adjustments by lengthing your tippet or adding more weight. Target seams and pocket water where fast water meets slower water. Watch your your indicator. if it slows down, stops jumps or twitches, set the hook.
Like I said their are many formulas and methods, Experiment and find out what works for you. Stick with it because it is the most effective way to flyfish.

Posted on: 2011/11/11 10:58

Quote:
Cast so that your flies are upstream of your indicator and try to mend your line without disturbing the indicator to achieve a drag-free drift.

Surface currents are basically always faster than bottom currents. If a surface indicator is not dragging, that means the nymphs below are being dragged along the bottom faster than the bottom currents. If you want your nymphs to travel at the speed of the flow, the flies need move at a speed slower than the surface current.

There is a trade-off here, which is that moving your nymphs at a speed closer to the bottom current (ie. the nymphs travel more slowly) means that you will be presenting your nymphs to fewer fish per unit time fished. Detecting strikes will also be harder, since it is generally easier detect strikes when the flies are traveling faster. As a result, even if more fish will fall for a drag free presentation, you won't necessarily improve your catch rates. Slowing your flies down to achieve a more "drag-free" drift is only worthwhile if this tradeoff allows you to hook more fish, which it won't always do. The only way to determine the optimum speed to fish nymphs on a particular day is to actively experiment on the stream.

Posted on: 2011/11/11 12:00

Save the money that you'd spend on books and book a day with Loren Williams. It's worth the money and the drive.

Posted on: 2011/11/11 15:05

Wsender is dead on. If you can scrape up the dough, book a 1/2 day trip with a professional. I had my 10yr old son take a lesson with George Daniels from TCO in state college. Hes a great teacher and you will be miles ahead of the game. We both learned a ton. My son is now a pretty good fisherman and loves flyfishing.

Posted on: 2011/11/11 17:03

From Eastern PA
Quote:

wsender wrote:
Save the money that you'd spend on books and book a day with Loren Williams. It's worth the money and the drive.

meh

george ftw. or paul. or charles.

Posted on: 2011/11/11 21:26

Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

wsender wrote:

meh

Meh..You don't want to learn?

Posted on: 2011/11/12 16:42

Quote:

wetnet wrote:
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

wsender wrote:

meh

It is not always afforable to hire someone, but Loren WIlliams is not just a guide he is a true teacher, so should u get the opportunity contact him. I'd just contact him anyway

Posted on: 2011/11/12 19:54

From Eastern PA
Quote:

wetnet wrote:
Quote:

wetnet wrote:
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

wsender wrote:

meh

It is not always afforable to hire someone, but Loren WIlliams is not just a guide he is a true teacher, so should u get the opportunity contact him. I'd just contact him anyway

I have no problem spending money on a guide. I would suggest that there are excellent regional guides here that are just as equipped to teach without having to drive to Syracuse NY or further to spend money out of state. It is my opinion that one should support the local guys. I know that Loren is near and dear to you because of the competitive youth fly fishing thing, but you know local talent such as the aforementioned George Daniels actually won some of the international fly fishing competitions, thus would be pretty high in my book as well. I am not simply basing my recommendations upon perceived personal relationships. That's all.

Posted on: 2011/11/13 16:57

Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

wetnet wrote:
Quote:

wetnet wrote:
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

wsender wrote:

meh

I have no problem spending money on a guide. I would suggest that there are excellent regional guides here that are just as equipped to teach without having to drive to Syracuse NY or further to spend money out of state. It is my opinion that one should support the local guys. I know that Loren is near and dear to you because of the competitive youth fly fishing thing, but you know local talent such as the aforementioned George Daniels actually won some of the international fly fishing competitions, thus would be pretty high in my book as well. I am not simply basing my recommendations upon perceived personal relationships. That's all.

George..I hear he sucks! LOL!!!!
George is a machine, they don't get much better.

Listen I don't ever wish to be mean or a know it all. George is an Ace. His Mom is the most Gracious woman I have ever met. My Son knows both Loren and George and many others across the US. I am so thankful that my Son had an outlet. Something he didn't get from soccer or baseball or football. He had #1 class Acts to teach him. If you know a kid that is just busting out of his waders. Let me know. I'll put some money up for a lesson or waders a TU camp or something. $200. You guys figure it out.

Posted on: 2011/11/13 18:13

From Altoona, PA
I never was a great nymph fisherman, but here's a couple things to try to get a handle on it.

Use a visible nymph, like an egg, a green weenie or the killer.. the chamois worm. Then fish it in clear water. You'll get a great idea of how your nymph moves through the water.

There is a religious schizm on the question of drift indicators. Whatever! If you have an emotional reaction to them, follow your bliss. If you approach them rationally, you'll find there are times when they are a huge help. Fast water? not so much. Low slow runs or in pools where you have to stand far back? Yeah.

There are many types of indicators. I took lessons from a great nymph fisherman, one of the best fishermen using any technique. He swore up and down at fishermen who used "bobbers". He ties in a foot of bright orange line at the butt of his nymphing leaders. When the tail end of it ticks upstream, he sets the hook. Well, that's an indicator even if its not a "bobber". Experiment with rigs until you find one that suits you.

Expect to get a hit. Even really excellent fishermen will miss a strike because they spend a half second wondering "if" they just got a hit. Expect the strike and strip a bit of line any time you see what might be a hit. If you "slip strike" you won't put your line up in a tree, but you will get those little tap strikes. And you'll be amazed at how many fish you get.

Posted on: 2011/11/14 12:22

From Southeastern Pa
to me it depends on what kind of nymphing you like to do.

if you like to use an indicator: i like to leave about 3' of 0x or 1x between my flyline and indy. then from the indy down to my flies I usually go about one and a half times the depth of the area I am nymphing. so if my target area is 3ft deep I try to make the section of line between my indy and my first fly 4 1/2 ft long. I don't know why, I think I heard that some where.

if you don't like to use an indicator: the only way i do this is if I'm czech/highstick nymphing. in this case I make my leader long enough that my flyline is about a foot out of the water while still letting the flies bounce along the bottom. this is a great technique and is highly effective and fun because you really get to feel the fish take the fly.

Ill say this much, the common mistake i see with my friends that try to nymph but fail is that the don't use enough weight therefore they are not getting down to the fish in the target area and they do not give themselves enough leader to properly mend their line when using an indy.

don't fear the leader!

you'll learn to cast with weight by practice, the only thing ill add about casting weight is, don't mistake speed for power. that is to say that when casting you can cast weight well by being powerful in your movements but you don't necessarily have to make fast movements. feel the weight load the rod on your forward and back casts. you'll feel this by making crisp, well defined stops at the end of your forward and backward casting motions.

thats just my 2cents, it works for me. I learned this weekend that there are a lot of smart, good nymphers on here. good luck, stick with it.

Posted on: 2011/11/14 22:32

Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

wsender wrote:

meh

True, especially given the OP's location. He probably sees George more often then most of us do. I only mentioned Loren because I've used him before and had a great time and because I possibly think the OP is a bit on the younger side and I know Loren is a youth coach (but I think George is too, correct?) and has experience coaching.

Speaking of George and nymphing, doesn't he have a book coming out in the near future?

Posted on: 2011/11/15 9:24

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com