Where to spend a long weekend?

J

jmd700

I am planning on taking an extended weekend with the guys at the end of April to kick back and fish. I am fairly new (a little over a year exp.) at fly fishing, and want to stay within an hour or so from State College. Spring Creek is my normal stream to fish.

Some guys have given me ideas of Kettle Creek, Pine Creek, Spruce Creek. Any information on these streams? hatches at that time? lodging?

Thanks!

I've gotten a cabin at Hemlock Acres in Coburn that time of year. It's right on Penns.

Kettle's gonna be over an hour. Most of Pine is too. Both are fine streams. The 1st Fork is in the same ballpark, time wise. Those areas offer the named streams, plus tons of very good tributaries, which is where most of the wild ones are.

Little J/Spruce, this area is under an hour.

Penns/Elk/Pine. Coburn is just over a half hour, Poe Paddy just over an hour.

Big Fishing Creek - under an hour.

Probably a bit early for March Browns, but its possible. Probably a bit late for Grannoms, but its possible. I'd expect maybe some Hendricksons and random caddis.

For the Kettle/Pine area, the link below may be of help

Cross Fork

Kettle and Pine creeks fish great at that time of year. Blue quill, hendricksons, green egg sac caddis. I've even seen march browns hatching the end of april up there.
I may be up there myself then if the Big D is too high

Back